Fair price for Bernina 1030

Old June 27th 04, 04:24 PM
Mindy Huffman

Default Fair price for Bernina 1030

I've been shopping around for a good sewing machine for machine
quilting. My local dealer has 30 percent off new machines right now,
so I could get a Quilter's Edition 153 for $1,850 plus five classes on
the machine and a two-year complete coverage warranty, five-year
mechanical.

I was talking to a friend of mine about it, and she said her sister
had a Bernina 1030 that belonged to their mother who passed away
several years ago. She talked to her sister about selling it, and her
sister said she would take $500 for it. She said she didn't know if
that was "firm" or not.

Is that a good deal? From everything I've read on these boards, the
1030 owners seem to be very happy with it. I've been absolutely
slobbering over the 153, but if I can save some money by getting this
used one for a good price, that wouldn't stink either!!

I'm officially on maternity leave, just waiting for the baby, and I
would LOVE to have a new sewing machine (even if it's just "new to
me") to keep me from going completely stir crazy while I'm off work.

Thanks in advance,
Mindy Huffman
Old June 27th 04, 05:13 PM
nana2b

Any Bernina that can be checked out and serviced by a certified Tech should
be good to go. Bernina's last forever. Unless you need the computer fancy
stitches that would be a great machine for you to adopt. Find out if it has
features that you would really like, like needle down. If you can, go to a
dealer and ask about the 1030 vs a new 153QE. I have a 153QE and I love it
for piecing. I also have the 200E and prefer the fancy stitches that this
machine puts out. Good luck!

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old June 27th 04, 07:05 PM
Becky

I have a 1031, which is almost exactly the same as the 1030. I paid between
$1200 and $1300 back in 1992. I would not part with it. It will literally
machine quilt for up to 8 hours at a time (after that, I give out).

My only small complaint is that it doesn't have automatic needle down. you
must tap the rear of the foot control with your heel to activate needle
down.

It gets used every day, and has never let me down in any way. Goes to the
Bernina shop every couple of years or so for the standard checkup.

Sound like a pretty good deal to me at $500.

Becky

om...

Old June 27th 04, 10:31 PM
Polly Esther

That's not exactly a wonderful price for the new Bernina. If your state has
sales tax, what will it be? And how much more are you going to need to spend
for a 1/4" foot and a walking foot? and, and, and? How are your haggling
skills? You will want to see what is the best offer your Bernina dealer can
make for you. Polly

Old June 27th 04, 11:10 PM
nana2b

The 153 comes with a walking foot and the 1/4" foot. It also has the knee
lift, auto needle down, needle threader and a daylight light.I didn't have
to add on anything when I bought it. Sales tax is 8.25% in Tx.

Old June 28th 04, 01:24 AM
Polly Esther

I didn't know what was standard for the 153. In addition to being a grand
quilting tool, it is really special for any kind of sewing - such as new
baby things. It sews on fine knits and batiste like a dream. I have the 155
and they are about the same thing, I think, except maybe the 155 has a few
more of the fancy stitches that I do use. I suspect that lots of folks try
the extra stitches once, if ever, and they are never looked at again. Polly

Old June 28th 04, 02:03 AM
nana2b

Hi Polly, I love the sewing my 153 and it is very much like the 155 only
the newer version with a few more stitches and a new way to post them on
your machine. It even sews well through Jeans material without hesitation.
All around a winner if you can invest the $1799. I have seen them on E-bay
and they fetch a good price. Just keep watch if you aren't in a hurry.

Old June 28th 04, 03:21 AM
Polly Esther

Aha! Maybe we have discovered the difference. My 155 is not having any of
the jeans stuff. Not with the proper foot, not with a jeans needle (or any
other) and not with the cute little tool it came with to help it over many
thicknesses of denim. Maybe with some study and adjustments, it would do
better but it is just quicker to move over to one of the older SMs here.
Polly

"nana2b" wrote Hi Polly, I love the sewing my 153 and it is very much

Old June 28th 04, 12:46 PM
Mindy Huffman

lol, Piglet, on your unequivocal answer.

My local dealer is telling me that the $1,850 is 30 percent off the
"suggested retail price" on the 153. That deal ends today, and I'm
WAY too pregnant to go running over there to get it. (It's about a
45-minute drive each way, and I've already lost my plug with my THIRD
baby.) I explained my situation to the sales gal and asked her if
there was another time of the year when I could get a similar deal,
and she said there was going to be 28 percent off at some point in
July, but she didn't know exactly when. They have no payments, no
interest for a year, which wouldn't stink either, but by the time I
pay sales tax, that would be pushing $2,000 easily, and let's face it,
how much time am I going to have to spend on a new machine with THREE
kids, a completely neurotic husband AND working full time?? I just
don't know if I can justify spending $2,000 on a sewing machine.
Okay, I could. My husband recently dropped about $10,000 because he
HAD TO HAVE a new dirt bike for himself and a new four-wheeler for my
son, so by the time you get the trailer and all the crap...

I digress...

I looked up a comparison chart from some link I found in these message
boards, and I did see that the 1030 has the needle down feature with a
heel tap. I couldn't figure out exactly what that meant, so thanks,
Becky, for explaining that one!!

The 1030 is about 11 years old. My friend's mom used it for about
five years, and then she committed suicide (she was mentally ill), so
this machine has been sitting at my friend's sister's house for six
years. I think I'd want to take it in to the dealer and have them
give it a once-over just to make sure everything was okay. She's been
wanting to sell it for some time now, and her husband doesn't seem to
want to let her put it on eBay. I'm thinking she may take less than
$500 for it just to get rid of it.

Should I be concerned about the age/lack of use of this machine??

I really do appreciate all the input.
Mindy