silverplated and sterling silver

Old March 22nd 04, 05:25 AM
Audrey

Default silverplated and sterling silver

Hi

Can someone please explain the differences - not the basics in that I know
that silver plated is just a thin layer of silver on a base metal (which
one?) but differences in durability, strength etc. Does silver plated
tarnish as silver does??

Thanks very much

Audrey

Old March 22nd 04, 05:57 AM
Christina Peterson

It take very little to wear out plating. The silver layer is at least as
susceptible to tarnish as Sterling. For something to use a few times and
throw away it would be OK. Personally, I'd rather use stainless steel and
have a solid metal than use a plated metal.

Tina

u...

Old March 22nd 04, 04:30 PM
roxan

It doesn't matter much what the silver plating is put on it will still ware
off in time. And yes it will tarnish.
Roxan