My Finished Sampler

Old June 18th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

Default My Finished Sampler

lucretia borgia ) writes:

Yes

"Pomegranate is one of the symbols of Armenia, representing fertility,
abundance and marriage."

As a matter of interest, when Dorothy Sayers wrote "The Man Born to be
King" for the BBC, she went back to the Greek version of the Bible. It
might be interesting to know what word was used in Greek. Jim.
Old June 18th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

F.James Cripwell wrote:
lucretia borgia ) writes:

Yes

"Pomegranate is one of the symbols of Armenia, representing fertility,
abundance and marriage."

As a matter of interest, when Dorothy Sayers wrote "The Man Born to be
King" for the BBC, she went back to the Greek version of the Bible. It
might be interesting to know what word was used in Greek. Jim.

While parts of the New Testament were written in Greek, what Greek word
was used for the fruit described in Genesis would still be a translation.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old June 18th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Jun 18, 2:42*pm, lucretia borgia
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:39:59 -0700 (PDT), opined:

On Jun 17, 1:14*am, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net
wrote:
I added a picture in my RCTNP album of the little sampler I made for my
sister and brother-in-law's 50th Anniversary. *It was supposed to be an
apple tree, but since they live in Arizona, I figured oranges were more
appropriate.

Lucille

Since the Bible DOESN`T *say it is an apple , Only "The Fruit of the
tree of the Garden", you can Portay it as Any fruit you like ,,,
mirjam

That would depend entirely which version of the bible you are reading!
All versions are dubious at best.

You know very well that i read the Original ,,,,,not a version , nore
a translation ,,,
mirjam
Old June 18th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Jun 18, 5:00*pm, Susan Hartman wrote:
Alison wrote:

On Jun 17, 1:14 am, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net
wrote:
I added a picture in my RCTNP album of the little sampler I made for my
sister and brother-in-law's 50th Anniversary. *It was supposed to be an
apple tree, but since they live in Arizona, I figured oranges were more
appropriate.

Lucille
Since the Bible DOESN`T *say it is an apple , Only "The Fruit of the
tree of the Garden", you can Portay it as Any fruit you like ,,,
mirjam

Yes, I always wondered how it turned into an apple. *I prefer to
imagine some fruit that doesn't exist on Earth.

Alison

I seem to remember having heard once that scholars think it may have
been a pomegranate. Why that could be, I don't know!

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Musicwww.dirtylinen.com- Hide quoted text -

A free image of which fruit is "seductiveto the eye " of that
particular Scholar ,,,,
mirjam
Old June 18th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Jun 18, 6:56*pm, (F.James Cripwell)
wrote:
lucretia borgia ) writes:

Yes

"Pomegranate is one of the symbols of Armenia, representing fertility,
abundance and marriage."

As a matter of interest, when Dorothy Sayers wrote "The Man Born to be
King" for the BBC, she went back to the Greek version of the Bible. *It
might be interesting to know what word was used in Greek. *Jim.

I have quoted to you Exactly what the HEBREW text writes ,, any Greek
trnaslation is just a translation ,,, There was no Apple nore
Pomegranate in the Gan-Eden =Paradise ,,,
An 'apple' = is mentioned in [the prophet ] Joel , [aleph=1, 12 ] as a
tree destroyed by locust , And it appeares in the Song of Songs.
mirjam
mirjam
Old June 19th 08, 07:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Jun 19, 8:03*am, "Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney)"
You know very well that i read the Original ,,,,,not a version , nore
a translation ,,,
mirjam

But only the Old Testament g
Bruce

Since we were discussing the Garden of Eden ,,,,,,,it is in the first
cahpters of the Torah ,,, which for me and mine never became
OLD ,,,,,
mirjam
Old June 19th 08, 07:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Lucretia you can write/ say/ believe or think you know what you will ,
but
The Hebrew Jewish Torah was here BEFORE any New testament was dreamed
about,, The Mere fact that it is called NEW testament Shows that Those
who wrote it don`t see it as the ORIGINAL , but as a NEW version of
the original one !!!!!
mirjam

For goodness sake Mirjam, you have NO WAY to know your edition is any
more reliable than any other ! *This was most likely a book that was
written from verbal accounts the very first time and we all know how
they vary.- Hide quoted text -

Old June 19th 08, 10:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Jun 19, 12:46*pm, "Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney)"
Lucretia you can write/ say/ believe or think you know what you will ,
but
The Hebrew Jewish Torah was here BEFORE any New testament was dreamed
about,, The Mere fact that it is called NEW testament Shows that Those
who wrote it don`t see it as the ORIGINAL , but as a NEW version of
the original one !!!!!
mirjam

Nobody is disputing that the Torah was written before the New Testament.
The Torah is accepted by many people as the literal message of God to
the Jewish people, as told to Moses. Christian Bibles incorporate the
Hebrew Bible (with some variations) into its canon under the name of Old
Testament or the Septuagint. Though different Christian denominations
have slightly different versions of the Old Testament in their Bibles,
the Five Books of Moses (or "the Law") are common to them all.
Bruce

Thank you Bruce for reapeating to me that which i know,,, The talk /
discussion here was whether there was an Apple mentioned in the
chapter about Gan-Eden =Paradise, and i wrote that the Fruit WASN~T
mentioned by name at all , and thus it WASN`T an apple ,,, it was a
the Fruit of the tree of knowing Good and bad ,,,,, if an apple fits
that description ??? we don`t know ....
mirjam

Finished baby sampler Jere Williams Needlework 4 June 1st 06 09:13 PM
Finished Sampler Pat Lerch Needlework 0 November 15th 04 12:32 AM
Trade? Baby Sampler from Victoria Sampler Dannielle Needlework 1 June 4th 04 01:58 AM
ebay: Finished Cross Stitch Sampler, & more! new listings and older ones soon to end...get 'em while they're hot!! marilyn safier Marketplace 0 May 2nd 04 07:51 AM
Finished the Loara Standish Sampler!!! Julie T in VA Needlework 3 January 30th 04 02:03 PM