Are introductions in order?

Old November 16th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default Are introductions in order?

It is nice to get to know all of you.

A bit more about me.

I married into the Army and spent 22 years with my active duty husband
(he was in for 24). Then we retired from the Army and opened a
periodontal practice in Salt Lake City. We sold the practice after
almost 10 years and retired to skiing in the winter, hiking and fly
fishing in the summer with some camping thrown in.

We have two Lakeland Terriers and had lost our 16 year old miniature
Schnauzer last year.

Our youngest son in now in the Army and is the one getting married next
month. Oldest son is in grad school in the Bay Area and is going to be
a clinical psychologist.

I started cross stitching when I was pregnant with oldest son and could
rest my hands on him while I stitched. I needed something small as he
was big.

I hope to learn how to use my DH's digital camera so I can then learn
how to post photos of my work so you all can see what I have done for
some of my designs.

I am glad to have found this group as you all are so friendly and
encouraging to all the members of the group.

Thanks for sharing about yourselves.

Nice to see other Army wives are here.

Donna, where were you and your DH stationed?

Alice

Old November 16th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jere Williams

Hi Frances,

I'm Jere -- but my first name is actually Frances, I was named for my mom.

I'm 61, live in Louisiana, have two grown daughters, and 3 grandchildren.

I've been cross stitching since 1977, but before that I did some crochet and
surface embroidery.

Now I stitch all sorts of things, and have started recently using lots of
beads.

I've been married 41 years, and the furbabies we have at home a 3
dachsunds, and one golden retriever -- Hilde, Willy, Toby, and Comet.

--
Jere
http://community.webshots.com/user/Jere224422

"'Nez" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm Frances. I turned 76 this year. Been stitching ever since my
Mother decided I needed to know the "gentle arts" when I was 8 or 9.
Got out of it once I hit my teens, and didn't get back to it until I
was 19 or so and was bored sitting home all day.

Learned to tat when I was 45. Learned macrame when I was 40. I also
do needlepoint, crochet and knit. But love counted cross stitch the
most. Have enough SABLE (Stash Above and Beyond Life Expectancy) to
last 3 lifetimes. My 16 yr old toy poodle likes to sit beside me as I
stitch. Frances

Old November 16th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Brenda Lewis

LizardGumbo wrote:
I work at home as a medical transcriptionist, which I hope to not have to
do for very many more years.

OK, just how does one get set up in a position like this? I've seen
plenty of ads about it but don't know how to sort out the legitimate
opportunities from the fly-by-night schemes.

--
Brenda
Help Project Gutenberg--become a Distributed Proofreader
Old November 16th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
LizardGumbo

Brenda Lewis wrote:

I work at home as a medical transcriptionist, which I hope to not have
to do for very many more years.

OK, just how does one get set up in a position like this? I've seen
plenty of ads about it but don't know how to sort out the legitimate
opportunities from the fly-by-night schemes.

You graduate from one of two online schools:

http://www.mtecinc.com/ or
http://www.andrewsschool.com/

Everything else is either fly-by-night or not well known enough to put
your resume on the top of employers' piles.

Most folks in this industry work at home, and there's a long list of
reputable companies who hire newbies. So while it seems like a
too-good-to-be-true gig, it's not, but it is hard and sometimes the pay
is just not what it should be and every year we're told the death of the
MT as an occupation is imminent.

However, it's done well for me, continues to do well for me--I'm just
tired of transcribing for a living since I've been doing it (mostly
legal) since I was 16 years old.

You have to have excellent grammar and spelling skills (which obviously
you do). The rest can be taught fairly easily if you have the language
skills.

--
Elizabeth
Pop the bubbles to reply.

www.effervescentdesigns.com
Old November 16th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Brenda Lewis

Hi! I'm Brenda, 38, in NE Ohio. Have a 4-year-old daughter and a
Sheltie who moonlights as a Hobbit. Currently a stay-at-home Mom who
spends a lot of time as a volunteer proofreader (now mentoring
newcomers) at the site listed below.

I've been stitching since age 8 or 9--wow 30 years! Mostly counted
thread embroidery with occasional dabblings in crochet and latch hook.
Had a huge latch hook burst at the beginning of the year but have done
very little since then. Goal is to eventually make TW's "The Castle"
for a very good friend even though all I've done so far is gather
materials and make working copies of the chart. Diagnosed with
fibromyalgia this spring after several years of testing and much
head-scratching by docs.

Old November 16th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

wrote in message
ups.com...
I joined the group in October and have been posting since I discovered
this great group. I see some of you post daily and others come in when
they can. I thought it might be nice for those of us who are newer to
the group to get to know the rest of you. I saw another newbie on the
threads the other day so I don't think I am the only one wondering who
is here and such.

I will start since this was my bright idea.

Name:
Alice

I live in:
Salt Lake City, Utah

How long I have been stitching:
Well when living in Turkey I had my DM send me some needlepoint kits
since I had read every book in the library that I wanted to read. (I
was with my USArmy husband and one of the few women there.) When we
got back Stateside I tried a class in quilting but lasted until I made
a new friend who did Danish Cross Stitch. That was 26 years ago. Been
stitching ever since.

Groups I belong to:
EGA - I live in the Rocky Mountain Region
Swan Sampler Stitchers (home nest is in Salt Lake City but, members
from all over the world.)

More of possible interest:
I have done some designing for EGA and Swans as well as for myself. I
have entered items in our State Fair for about four years. The first
entry was one of my designs based on a view of the Pacific Ocean just
south of Monterey, CA and I won First place. I have entered ever since
with my lowest showing a Forth place.

Family: Great husband and two sons ages 25 and 23 and a soon to be
daughter-in-law (as of December 29).

Hope to get to know all of you.
Alice

Pat Porter, near Felixstowe, Suffolk, UK - three grown-up kids, 2 daughters
aged 49 and 46, one son aged 42, 6 almost all grown-up grandsons. Husband,
John, plus Cavalier K.C. Spaniel , Maggie.

Been stitching for about 14 years, and do some designing of local scenes,
although have been lazy about that lately!

Great to meet you, Alice. We do have a session of "Who we are" every so
often but I`m glad you started this one off as we don`t seem to have had one
lately. Do you have a website?

Pat P
http://homepages.tesco.net/~porter

Old November 16th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Donna wrote:
All told there were 13 moves by the gov't. Yikes.

How many moves did you have?

Donna in Virginia

Geez.... I've moved 10x within California and the government wasn't
involved in any of them. (We owned a landscape company and went through
a phase where a series of landlords repeatedly sold the house out from
under us as soon as we had prettied up the yard.)

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 11/12/06 -- Jukebox Saturday Night (my own design)

WIP: baby and housewarming gifts, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old November 17th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
fran

My name is Fran, and I live in Winston-Salem, NC. I've been
stitching since my Mom taught me as a child. I do Xstitch, Japanese
Embroidery, am working on getting my Master Craftsman certification in
Canvas Embroidery from EGA (passed test #1 & 2, cogitating on test
#3), hate knitting and crocheting, and do some quilting. I garden
(i've landscaped my entire yard), and am a compulsive reader.

I have 2 furrbabies: Sir Fuss and Miss Furry (aka Jabba and Scarlett).
He is black with a bit of white, she's a calico.
Old November 17th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sue

I'm Sue and live in Bowie, MD. I'm marring (33 years) and we have three
daughters, 31, 26 and 23. My first cross stitch was a sampler after
our first daughter was born. I am a very happy grandma - our first
grandchild, Isabelle, was born about a month ago. Unfortunately, they
live pretty far away in Baton Rouge, so I foresee lots of trips to
Louisiana in our future. I like cross stitch best, but also do
needlepoint, embroidery, lace making, beading and a little knitting and
quilting.
SueW