I Voted

Old November 7th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ElastiGirl

Default I Voted

In article ,
off kilter quilter wrote:

wrote:

Got my sticker, which made my boss (political bigwig) happy. No stash
for me either.

How long did it take you guys? I had a wait of just over 30 mins, but
I had a report from a coworker that it took him over an hour and a
half!

Caryn

Well, I sort of got my sticker...had 3yo DD with me, so she wanted to
wear it sigh. Didn't have a wait at all...went in they verified who I
was, got the explanation of how the voting machines work (touch-screen
thingies, which are completely different from how I had to vote when I
lived in NY), I voted, it was done, and off we went! Was going to buy
the kids vitamins, but they were out of stock (all natural, no added
dyes), but they will call me when they get them back in stock and will
even hold a bottle for me! Went to Lowe's to get closet ideas for DS.
DH and I have been talking about how crappy the room set up is, and we
are toying with giving him a closet that he will be able to use until he
is out of the house (MANY years away!). SO, I wrote down various
storage options and shelving options, then bought DH a Christmas present
- a "robot" light...made to look like a robot with clips to hold notes
where its hands would be and the light actually shining from where the
face would be. It's silly and goofy, but will be an appreciated present.

Back home for lunch, kids are watching the Incredibles with Dad (home
sick today) and then I will be back to doing more sewing.

Larisa, who had 2 reeses PB cups as a treat after lunch

I basically walked right in. There was a slight delay at the table where
they verify that you're who you say you are (that was okay, got to
finally meet a neighbor -- our back porch looks onto her's and vice
versa). I'd have to say that it took MAYBE 10-15 minutes.

We had the new push button computerized voting machines. Last time I
voted in NY, we still had the lever-machines. The last time I voted in
Indiana, we had punch cards. North Carolina -- levers.

Wish I was watching the Incredible with the kids... My screen name "EG"
stands for "ElastiGirl" a.k.a. "Helen Parr" (DH's name is
"MrIncredible")...

EG
Old November 7th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce

ElastiGirl wrote:
I basically walked right in. There was a slight delay at the table where
they verify that you're who you say you are (that was okay, got to
finally meet a neighbor -- our back porch looks onto her's and vice
versa). I'd have to say that it took MAYBE 10-15 minutes.

We had the new push button computerized voting machines. Last time I
voted in NY, we still had the lever-machines. The last time I voted in
Indiana, we had punch cards. North Carolina -- levers.

All these high-tech gadgets seem to cause more problems than they are
worth. We still rely on the very low-tech but reliable bit of paper
with a pencilled cross or crosses.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old November 7th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Bruce wrote:

All these high-tech gadgets seem to cause more problems than they are
worth. We still rely on the very low-tech but reliable bit of paper
with a pencilled cross or crosses.

After decades of punch cards, we now have the bubble-in forms. The
candidate's name appears next to the bubble, so you're not as prone to
mistakes as on the SATs where it's only a number. Then you personally
feed your form into a machine that looks a lot like my laser printer.
It "eats" the paper and tells you that you are voter #115.

There were 2 people in line ahead of me, so I did have to wait 2 minutes
for them to check in, but there were plenty of open booths to mark the
ballot, so once I had my ballot, it was in-and-out.

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 11/4/06 baby afghan

WIP: baby and housewarming gifts, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old November 7th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn Mary

I LOVE this retirement bit. DH said "come on, let's vote, then I'll
take you out to lunch."

Just before lunch, no-one in line (they are not expecting a big turnout
here this year, natch). So far, they had had 130 voters out of a
precinct of just over 500, but this precinct is one which traditionally
has a very high turnout compared to the rest of the city.

p.s., yes, lunch was very good, thanks.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old November 7th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tamara

I liked the punch cards myself. We have changed to electronic down here. I
was the only one there voting. In the 22 years I've been going to this
polling place I've only seen other people on one occasion and that was two
years ago. Nobody asked me for ID although I had my book in my hand.

I pushed No on one item and it registered as Yes. So I tried pushing Yes
again per the instructions and nothing happened. I went back to the
instructions and then it flipped back to the Start. I had to call the IT
guy over to get me back to my page. I had to push the next button at least
six times each time to get it to react. All in all, I'm not impressed with
electonic voting.

Can't blame the weather here for the low turnout, it's 92.
--
Tamara in sunny San Diego

Old November 8th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Alison

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 06:57:06 -0800, Karen C - California
wrote:

My polling place has changed, and is now two doors down from Rick's
Dessert Diner.

So, I decided that I'm going around 10, when Rick's opens, and will
treat myself to a piece of chocolate cake while I'm out.

Rick's is still there!!! Have a black-out cookie for me!

Alison
Old November 8th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Alison

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 18:15:31 GMT, ElastiGirl
wrote:

I basically walked right in. There was a slight delay at the table where
they verify that you're who you say you are (that was okay, got to
finally meet a neighbor -- our back porch looks onto her's and vice
versa). I'd have to say that it took MAYBE 10-15 minutes.

We had the new push button computerized voting machines. Last time I
voted in NY, we still had the lever-machines. The last time I voted in
Indiana, we had punch cards. North Carolina -- levers.

Wish I was watching the Incredible with the kids... My screen name "EG"
stands for "ElastiGirl" a.k.a. "Helen Parr" (DH's name is
"MrIncredible")...

EG

I was number 153 in my small district. The school had at least 6
different districts voting there. (School is out on ELection Day.)
We still have the lever machines, I remember thinking how
old-fashioned they were when I moved here from California where we had
punch cards, but now I really like them.

Alison
Old November 8th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lewmew

Jere Williams wrote:
It took me about 5 minutes -- and I took my grandchildren with me. We went
right after I picked them up from school today. I hesitated at first to
take them with me, and then decided it's never too early to set a good
example about voting.

I've always taken my kids! Now that they are in middle school and
can't go with me (time conflicts), they are very disappointed.

BTW - here we use paper ballots and sharpies to color in little
circles. Always feels like voting is a test! The way you tell if you
passed or not is if your candidate wins!

OT - thank you Michael Moore Arondelle Beads 14 November 7th 04 02:44 AM
I Voted! nbhilyard Quilting 17 November 3rd 04 01:41 PM
Kerry is no friend of the middle class Lord Valve Machine Knit 2 October 15th 04 02:05 PM
9/11, sewing, and off topic thoughts Tom Farrell Sewing 136 October 14th 04 12:32 AM
Voted Sonya Cirillo Yarn 0 July 21st 03 08:33 PM