Vegan - So DMC Instead of Wool

Old July 6th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jere Williams

Default Vegan - So DMC Instead of Wool

There's a boy after my own heart.

When I make a BLT sandwich, I leave off the L and the T -- I eat bacon on
bread with horseradish mustard -- I see no reason to clutter up perfection
with rabbit food.
--
Jere

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

Sounds like DS - I discovered he take bacon bits (like you buy for salad),
makes a mound out of them and nukes it and makes a patty for his egg
sandwich. I am considering not buying the bits anymore.

Cheryl

Old July 6th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
LizardGumbo

Jere Williams wrote:

bacon on
bread with horseradish mustard

Mayo. What's wrong with you?

--
Elizabeth
aka LizardGumbo

Pop the bubbles to reply.
www.effervescentdesigns.com
Old July 6th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

LizardGumbo wrote:
Jere Williams wrote:

bacon on
bread with horseradish mustard

Mayo. What's wrong with you?

Miracle Whip.

Elizabeth (I just had to do it, I couldn't help myself)
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old July 6th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
LizardGumbo

Dr. Brat wrote:

Mayo. What's wrong with you?

Miracle Whip.

I like both (though not at the same time). I understand liking both is
one of the 7 deadly sins.

Old July 6th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jessie

Mayo. What's wrong with you?

Miracle Whip.

I like both (though not at the same time). I understand liking both is
one of the 7 deadly sins.

Mayo on sandwiches, MW in salads

Jessie

Old July 6th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Rachel Grier

Hi

Thanks for all your replies. I think I will stick to making smaller items
with DMC. I don't think using acrylic or larger gauge cottom will work
because of the difficulties in matching shades to Appletons. I can't do all
that creative, match by eye stuff; I need to follow the rules :-) No
biggie, it's not as if I haven't got a lifetime's worth of other stuff to
do.

As for why a vegan gives up wool (and also leather, silk, honey etc) please
have a quick look at this link:
http://www.vegansociety.com/html/ani...tion/sheep.php It
certainly opened my eyes.

Many thanks

Rachel

PS Of course, I could just do my larger pieces using DMC and hang them up
instead. I get to follow the rules, make larger pieces and I don't have to
frame them! Woohoo!

"Olwyn Mary" wrote in message
.. .
Rachel Grier wrote:
Hello Everyone

I became vegan a while ago and since one of the practices of veganism is

forego wool I have to give up my beloved Appletons (sob).

Why? Most of the sheep which have been bred for wool are EXTREMELY
uncomfortable if they are not sheared annually, therefore leaving them
alone could count as cruelty to animals.

What I would like to know is how feasible it is to use DMC instead of

wool
on larger gauge canvas. I know I will need lots more cotton but if I

want
to make a rug on 10 count canvas will the cotton stand up as well as

wool
(or at least my lifetime). I have had my eye on a Beth Russell rug for

while and I don't want to give up making larger items. Or would I be

better
off using a smaller gauge canvas ie 14 or 16 and doubling every stitch?

Hope you can help.

Many thanks

Rachel Grier

If you feel you must give up wool, try acrylic knitting yarn. I use
that for grandbaby sweaters (dd insists on it), and that stuff, even
though I am careful to buy the very soft kinds, actually wears like
iron. Several sweaters I made for the oldest are now being worn by
child #3, and they are worn for playing in, as well as for best. If you
have friends who knit with acrylics, you might beg a few scraps to test.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

Old July 6th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jessie

Hello Rachel,

I know many people who raise sheep, goats, llamas, alpacas, and rabbits for
fibers for themselves and friends. Some are rescued animals, some are rare
species being saved from extinction (the animals, not the friends Giggle).
These very expensive animals are well-treated pets with names and distinct
personalities. There is fierce, but friendly, competition among spinners to
get the sheared wools and fibers from favorite animals. I am lucky to have a
sweater from "Bubba", my best friend's ram. Bubba was a rescue sheep and is
spoiled silly.

Most people who raise animals for personal use consider them more than just
a financial investment. It takes dedication and love. They certainly don't
follow the mass production practices outlined in the Vegan Society link.
Nor do they butcher valuable animals for food. (I just realized the last two
sentences sounded rather aggressive and I didn't mean it that way.)

Perhaps you could locate people like this who would be happy to include you
in the circle of friends who receive home-raised and hand processed fibers.
Often you can trade for the wool. My Bubba sweater cost me a bag of feed and
lunch on shearing day. I've also spent a weekend or two babysitting while my
friend was out of town.

I don't wish to dismiss your dedication out of hand. This is just a
suggestion, offered as a possible solution. You may be able to continue
using wool and help rescue animals as well. You can check online for rescue
societies. You may be able to find someone at
Spinning, Weaving and other Fiberarts Guilds, Groups and Online Sources.

Jessie

Old July 6th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

LizardGumbo wrote:

Jere Williams wrote:

bacon on
bread with horseradish mustard

Mayo. What's wrong with you?

LET THE MAYO WARS BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!! There is NO substitute for
MAYONNAISE, specifically Hellman's aka Best Foods. WHat is horseradish
and who would eat anything named after a horsie? Mustard IS a necessary
sandwich staple -- a GREAT addition to Mayo but never in place of it.
And we won't even consider that horrid, nasty, vile, ultimately noxious
Miracle Whip drek!!! Mayo RULES -- there is NO substitute -- We are the
MayoBorg -- you will be assimilated!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)) CiaoMeow ^;;^
Old July 6th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Dr. Brat wrote:
Mayo. What's wrong with you?

Miracle Whip.

Elizabeth (I just had to do it, I couldn't help myself)

BACK, BACK I say, spawn of the Devil and culinary imbecile -- I,A,Y,P
upon you and your progeny and I HOPE you aren't teaching your sweet
doggies that MW is acceptable in polite society????? CiaoMeow ^;;^