Vegan - So DMC Instead of Wool

Old July 5th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Rachel Grier

Default Vegan - So DMC Instead of Wool

Hello Everyone

I became vegan a while ago and since one of the practices of veganism is to
forego wool I have to give up my beloved Appletons (sob).

What I would like to know is how feasible it is to use DMC instead of wool
on larger gauge canvas. I know I will need lots more cotton but if I want
to make a rug on 10 count canvas will the cotton stand up as well as wool
(or at least my lifetime). I have had my eye on a Beth Russell rug for a
while and I don't want to give up making larger items. Or would I be better
off using a smaller gauge canvas ie 14 or 16 and doubling every stitch?

Hope you can help.

Many thanks

Rachel Grier

Old July 5th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille

"Rachel Grier" wrote in message
Hello Everyone

I became vegan a while ago and since one of the practices of veganism is
forego wool I have to give up my beloved Appletons (sob).

What I would like to know is how feasible it is to use DMC instead of wool
on larger gauge canvas. I know I will need lots more cotton but if I want
to make a rug on 10 count canvas will the cotton stand up as well as wool
(or at least my lifetime). I have had my eye on a Beth Russell rug for a
while and I don't want to give up making larger items. Or would I be
better
off using a smaller gauge canvas ie 14 or 16 and doubling every stitch?

Hope you can help.

Many thanks

Rachel Grier

I'm not sure about whether cotton will stand up as well as wool but my
instinct says it won't.

As to the coverage, you could use DMC Perl Cotton which comes in a heavier
weight. And I believe crochet cotton would work well for some larger guage
canvas. The colors are limited, but it does come in several sizes.

I'm sure someone here would know other companies that produce heavier cotton
that's meant for knitting and crocheting.

Lucille

Old July 5th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

"Rachel Grier" wrote in message
Hello Everyone

I became vegan a while ago and since one of the practices of veganism is
forego wool I have to give up my beloved Appletons (sob).

What I would like to know is how feasible it is to use DMC instead of wool
on larger gauge canvas. I know I will need lots more cotton but if I want
to make a rug on 10 count canvas will the cotton stand up as well as wool
(or at least my lifetime). I have had my eye on a Beth Russell rug for a
while and I don't want to give up making larger items. Or would I be
better
off using a smaller gauge canvas ie 14 or 16 and doubling every stitch?

Hope you can help.

Many thanks

Rachel Grier

Why not use Acryllic? You could use an Appletons shade card to match it up,
perhaps.

Pat P

Old July 5th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Why don`t you make a rug from Cotton rags ?
By the way why does a vegan have to give up a woolen rug, sheep don`t
suffer from shearing and they scrash a lot of wool naturally off on
poles ..???
mirjam

Old July 5th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

Rachel Grier wrote:
Hello Everyone

I became vegan a while ago and since one of the practices of veganism is to
forego wool I have to give up my beloved Appletons (sob).

What I would like to know is how feasible it is to use DMC instead of wool
on larger gauge canvas. I know I will need lots more cotton but if I want
to make a rug on 10 count canvas will the cotton stand up as well as wool
(or at least my lifetime). I have had my eye on a Beth Russell rug for a
while and I don't want to give up making larger items. Or would I be better
off using a smaller gauge canvas ie 14 or 16 and doubling every stitch?

Hope you can help.

Many thanks

Rachel Grier

Cotton simply doesn't hold up well, particularly for rug use. My cotton
sweaters deteriorate quickly in comparison to wool or blends. Acryllic
uses precious minerals (if I remember correctly). Sheep aren't harmed,
they are merely sheered, and mostly it's pretty humane.

Bulkier cottons are often sold by knitting shops. Try there.

I once hired a gal who was a *serious* vegan. I reminded her one day,
after an insufferable conversation, that her musk perfume came from a
species of deer, and that the gloves and boots she wore came off that
cow she refused to eat. :~)

Dianne
Old July 5th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 7/5/06 12:41 PM, in article , "Dianne
Lewandowski" wrote:

Rachel Grier wrote:
[...]

Boy - we would have fun together in Ethics class. Sounds like a "debate" I
had in Ethics 103 with a female with a serious leather and fur fashion
fetish who would declare eating animals was "yucky".

Cheryl

Old July 5th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Boy - we would have fun together in Ethics class. Sounds like a "debate" I
had in Ethics 103 with a female with a serious leather and fur fashion
fetish who would declare eating animals was "yucky".

Well, now, as long as eating animals is only yucky if you have to do it
and not if you're watching me do it, I don't see that we really have an
ethical issue. *grin*

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old July 5th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn Mary

Rachel Grier wrote:
Hello Everyone

I became vegan a while ago and since one of the practices of veganism is to
forego wool I have to give up my beloved Appletons (sob).

Why? Most of the sheep which have been bred for wool are EXTREMELY
uncomfortable if they are not sheared annually, therefore leaving them
alone could count as cruelty to animals.

What I would like to know is how feasible it is to use DMC instead of wool
on larger gauge canvas. I know I will need lots more cotton but if I want
to make a rug on 10 count canvas will the cotton stand up as well as wool
(or at least my lifetime). I have had my eye on a Beth Russell rug for a
while and I don't want to give up making larger items. Or would I be better
off using a smaller gauge canvas ie 14 or 16 and doubling every stitch?

Hope you can help.

Many thanks

Rachel Grier

If you feel you must give up wool, try acrylic knitting yarn. I use
that for grandbaby sweaters (dd insists on it), and that stuff, even
though I am careful to buy the very soft kinds, actually wears like
iron. Several sweaters I made for the oldest are now being worn by
child #3, and they are worn for playing in, as well as for best. If you
have friends who knit with acrylics, you might beg a few scraps to test.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

Old July 5th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

"Olwyn Mary" wrote in message
.. .
Rachel Grier wrote:
[...]

I can vouch for that! I used to knit sweaters for all the family, and the
acryllic ones never wore out or lost any colour!

School sweaters for 6 grandsons are enough to test ANYTHING! In fact I
still have a couple that I knitted for myself about 15 years ago - as good
as new! The rest were thrown out because I was just sick of the sight of
them! Pity you`re not in the UK - I still have CONES of it up in my
hobbyroom in the loft! I`ve given piles of Acryllic, Shetland Wool and
Mohair to Charity shops, too.

Pat P

Pat P

Old July 5th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Pat P wrote:
School sweaters for 6 grandsons are enough to test ANYTHING! In fact I
still have a couple that I knitted for myself about 15 years ago - as good
as new! The rest were thrown out because I was just sick of the sight of
them! Pity you`re not in the UK - I still have CONES of it up in my
hobbyroom in the loft! I`ve given piles of Acryllic, Shetland Wool and
Mohair to Charity shops, too.

Fashion is quirky - about 25 years ago Maureen used to do a lot of
knitting with Lopi wool, the sort that you you knit on one circular
needle. Last month she decided to have another go with Lopi but it
seems to be almost unobtainable because, so the shop tells her, it is
"not in fashion"
--
Bruce Fletcher
ricardianATbtinternetDOTcom