Collage Embroidery

Old June 25th 04, 07:38 PM
BDS2pds

Those professors are a hoot because everyone knows that you can not become a
professional artist "copying " all the things that have already been done. I
know architects would be out of business .
Old June 25th 04, 07:38 PM
lula

Mirjam,

Thanks for you input.....I never thought of this, it's a good idea but
will have to see if a knitted piece will work with the look of the
design but the idiot cord idea might work for a future design.....I like
this!
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:

Lula !
You could make the arms in Idiot cord knitting than applique them on
the Queen
mirjam

Old June 25th 04, 07:58 PM
Mavia Beaulieu

"lula" wrote in message
Mirjam,

Thanks for you input.....I never thought of this, it's a good idea but
will have to see if a knitted piece will work with the look of the
design but the idiot cord idea might work for a future design.....I like
this!
---
Lula

Anyone else wonder what an idiot cord was? If so you can see a description
and instructions how to knit it here.
http://fuzzygalore.biz/patterns/fuzzyknit.shtml

Mavia

Old June 25th 04, 08:04 PM
lula

My embroidery of the Queen's bust is complete, literally complete at
that, hahaha, as I gave her a bustline.....cleavage in a low cut gown!!!
Boy, if I wasn't in so much rush to make something, it would have been
fun to give a more rounded cleavage with using trapunto.....will save
this idea for the next character with a bosom.....

Have to decide what fabric to use to applique on for her gown......have
a lovely turquoise ground color batik with a pretty watercolory effect
of blended and drippy colors or use a pretty hot pink fabric with a
sprinkle of tiny colorful random stars......I think of this fabric
because then I can use some of small lustrous mother-of-pearl star
buttons from JHB Buttons.

No matter what fabric I decide on, plan to embellish with some of the
pretty Czech glass bead shapes, seed and bugle beads.....also have some
vintage faceted glass beads from the 20's and 30's I found at an antique
dealer's over 20 years ago just for a project like this!

Then there are the various sized golden metal spangles or paillettes
from Kreinik that I want to use too....been saving these for a special
project too!

Basically, can hardly wait to embellish with all sorts of decorative
details using all the goodies, those fun doo-dads I've been collecting
and hoarding for years just for projects like this.

I've been stitching freshwater pearls around the Queen's neck.....so
neat to see this necklace develop as I sew on each pearl
individually....am using one strand of silk to sew on the pearls.

We had to rush out to the local JoAnn's to buy beading needles last
night just before closing no less as the beading needles (#10) I had
were too big for the tiny holes of the small pearls....I'm using a #13
beading needle......a very long skinny as a wire needle that looks ready
to snap with any pressure! I did buy extra packets.....only has one
needle that size in each packet.....too bad there wasn't a whole packet
of the same size.

There's the wild 'n' wooly mohair to couch on the quilt sandwich.....and
then to figure out how to sew or attach the brass crown neatly as that
has no holes.....might just loop it on with matching silk thread.

Still have to come up with some clever text to embroider on the
background as that will make the whole applique image come to "life"!

I'm grateful to have this project to focus on right now.
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures
Old June 25th 04, 09:12 PM
havana bill & holly

"lula" wrote
Still have to come up with some clever text to embroider on the
background as that will make the whole applique image come to "life"!

How about "It's GOOD to be the Queen" ?

Old June 25th 04, 09:28 PM
clancy

The Queen sounds like a real lulu Lula! :-)) Can't wait to see her .. all
your creations are fun and full of life. For the few beading projects I
have done, I found the neatest beading needles - Darice Easy Eye Beading
Needles - what I loovvvvve about them is the eye is 99% of the length of the
needle - so easy to thread. I found I could get so much more done using
these needles cuz you're not wasting so much time trying to thread that wee
eye.

So good to have you back.

Sharon (N.B.)

Old June 25th 04, 10:53 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

You are welcome Lula !!
I tried combiming idiot cord with embroidery work quite well ,,,,
[ is also working in Raised embroidey , Stumpwork]
best creative work .. Ps you can make idiot cord with have as well as
thin threads ,, double or thrice your embroidery threads and use them
!!!
mirjam

Old June 26th 04, 02:23 AM
Heather

ROFLMAO,
To us crazy Canadians, an idiot cord is the piece of yarn used to
attach two mittens to each other and run through the sleeves of your
winter jacket so you can't lose them. I knew this couldn't be what
Lula was talking about but couldn't for the life of me figure out what
it acutally was. Thanks for posting the link Mavia.
Have a happy day,
Heather
WIP: Noah's Sub, Queen Anne's Lace

Old June 26th 04, 04:39 AM
Cozit/Liz

How are those as far as the eye holding up, and not breaking with use?

I've had problems in the past with beading needle eyes breaking, though
the smaller eyed Piecemakers hold up pretty well (*g* I mistook one for
another embroidery needle and didn't realize my mistake for about 5
hours of stitching... outside in the 'ick'). I'd love to find one that
was easier to thread *and* held up as well, though!

-Liz

Old June 26th 04, 02:31 PM
clancy

Well, Liz, if you can find these Darice Beading Needles, give them a try.
I've done several beading projects with just one of the needles and it is
still fine ... I find them just amazing and wonder why someone hadn't
invented them before this. :-) They are very flexible and really skinny
skinny - about 2 1/2" in length - you just have to splay (is that a word?)
the needle open with a fingernail then voila, you can thread it with
tremendous ease.

Sharon (N.B.)

Embroidery software futa Machine Knit 0 February 6th 05 06:13 AM
Japanese Embroidery Ctr - Mary Monica & Dianne Please Read Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Needlework 11 December 5th 03 10:10 PM
Books about Stitches - longish list Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 20 August 8th 03 07:27 AM
CHINESE EMBROIDERY HISTORY & MORE Zoe Marketplace 0 August 7th 03 06:46 AM