Mountmellick embroidery

Old June 17th 04, 02:11 AM
roguepagan

Default Mountmellick embroidery

I have been teaching myself this type of embroider for nearly 3 years
now and I absolutely, positively love it. I love the white on white
and the durability of it. I hope this group gets going well and we can
start a lively discussion of this type of embroidery and exchange
methods and ideas. . . . there certainly isn't a whole love of
instruction/information regarding it out there.

Rogue

Old June 17th 04, 06:57 AM
Maureen Miller

Dare I ask what your source for learning is? I've seen samples of
Mountmellick embroidery and it really is beautiful. I agree with you
about the lack of instruction/information though. I've been trying to
find a local teacher for Japanese Embroidery. No luck though. I even
went so far ask to check out Michael's for instruction. Nada. Maybe
this is my purpose in life. Learn all the different needlearts, then
open a learning center so everyone can learn. Trouble is, by then I'd
be so old I'd forget where I put my needles! LOL.

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

Old June 17th 04, 01:43 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

This year, I hope, will be another book by Yvette Stanton on
Mountmellick. Yvette is a strong believer in the, "Learn the authentic
method" school of thought. That's dear to my heart. So, I'm waiting
patiently.

Currently there are two books on the subject, and you can get both at
Jenny June's Fancywork on the web. One is supposedly more authentic
than the other, especially the designs. But both use similar "how
to's" as far as stitches go. The British rather "contemporaized" it in
its heydey in the early 20th century. But I still love their creativity.

Mountmellick is simply beautiful and sturdy. Less time-consuming than
more fussy whitework.

Hopefully, Yvette will see this post and contribute!
Dianne

Old June 17th 04, 01:47 PM
BDS2pds

Dianne- what era does Mountmellick fit? Just wondering because I have not done
the technique although always admired it but wondering if it might fit into my
design work in the home here. Barbie
Old June 17th 04, 06:37 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

According to Jane Houston-Almqvist: ". . . probably invented between
1830 and 1840. . ."

It went out of favor after WWI. I'm afraid this is too late for your
"Federalist" period. :-)

Dianne

Old June 17th 04, 10:10 PM
Jeanine3

IIRC Yvette told me her new book was set to be released in North America
in July of this year. I am awaiting it also. I recently bought a 1939
copy of Weldon's Encyclopedia of Needlework and there is quite a long
section on Mountmellick. Unfortunately though, while there are many
illustrations of finished stitches, the instructions of how to complete
them are not accompanied with any step-by-step diagrams. I have seen
examples of Yvette's diagramming in FineLines magazine and know that I
will be able to figure this out with her new book!

Jeanine in Canada

Old June 17th 04, 11:17 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

My copy of Weldon's doesn't have a date! I've often wondered when it
was published. Yes, a big section on Mountmellick but I was able to
figure out a lot from there. Call it stubborness. :-) Then I got the
other two books on the subject and went gleefully along in the
adventure. But yes, I'm eagerly awaiting Yvette's book. I heard it was
July, but hesitated saying that for sure.

If all goes well, she will be writing for "Embroider Now" this year.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Her life is rather "full" at the moment.

I need another lifetime to become more proficient at all the beautiful
embroideries from around the world. Nonetheless, I enjoy taking part in
as many as I can get my hands on, most of which are just twists on
things already learned.

Dianne

Old June 18th 04, 05:53 AM
Yvette

Hello! Here I am!

Thank goodness you are discussing this this week! With a 9 week old
baby I'm not getting to the computer much and could easily have missed
this thread!

Mountmellick originated in Ireland in the 1820s. It was revived
during/shortly after the Potato Famine, and then again in the 1960s.
This revival got off to a slowish start, but is still continuing and
picking up speed.

There are about 4 books on the subject now:
the Weldon reproduction one, Jane Houston Almquist's "Mountmellick
Work", Janet M Davies' "Mountmellick from my Muse", Pat Trott's
"Mountmellick for Beginners". My book "Mountmellick Embroidery;
Inspired by Nature" will be out in July in Australia and at a similar
time elsewhere. I believe that Simon and Schuster will be distributing
it around the world.

Sorry for the plug for myself, but I think Dianne was inviting me to
say something along those lines! :-)

Anything else you'd like to ask?

Yvette
Sydney, Australia
Old June 18th 04, 05:58 AM
Yvette

Here I am sitting here reading your posts about me. Its rather amusing
to read what others have to say about you! :-)

Yes, "full" would be the word to describe my life at the moment. But
babies and their older sisters are just wonderful!

Dianne, I have an idea forming for my project for Embroider Now, so I
think you'll get me in there yet!

Yvette
Sydney, Australia
Old June 18th 04, 02:02 PM
BDS2pds

Thanks Dianne, I know I risk all sorts of fun learning by creating only things
usable here for decor but just have to do it. So little time. Our EGA had a
very detailed project = Spanish Sampler. I am sure it would have been a fun
project but nowhere to put it when done. I like when they have projects that
are personal in nature. Like a scissor fob or sewing set better because I can
rationale that.

Embroidery software futa Machine Knit 0 February 6th 05 06:13 AM
Books about Stitches - longish list Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 20 August 8th 03 07:27 AM
CHINESE EMBROIDERY HISTORY & MORE Zoe Marketplace 0 August 7th 03 06:46 AM
Mountmellick Susie Jordan Needlework 5 August 1st 03 12:04 AM