Corinabeads and challenges

Old September 3rd 04, 07:57 PM
Dr. Sooz

she's also a *very very* good lampworker.
Yes, there are others who are just as good and better, (of course there
are!) but we should keep in mind she's only been doing this for what...
five years? And the difference in her skill level from one year ago and
today is just wonderful. She pushes herself, she's always expanding her
horizons.

~~~It's her dogs. They tell her what to do!

HAW
~~
Sooz
"Try to define soul in a way that everyone agrees on, and then maybe we'll have
a basis for defining art." Kalera Stratton, glass artist
Old September 3rd 04, 08:17 PM
Christina Peterson

This is my same reasoning for making sure our over-priced LBSs stay in
business. We not be able to afford them but we need them.

Tina

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
. giganews.com...
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 4:31:33 -0400, Su/Cutworks wrote
(in message ):

Yep. The higher the bar is raised the more beadmakers out there have a
chance at getting a higher price even at the mid-range or lower end of

the
market. It helps everyone except us poor bead buyers. :-)

It helps bead-buyers too. If the prices are reasonably high, talented
people can afford to keep lampworking - when prices are dirt cheap,
they can't earn enough to make the lampworking worthwhile. You'll
also get more people making beads on a full time basis, which means
they get lots of practice and make nicer beads.

The only real responsibility we have as buyers is to be really fussy
about what we buy. If we refuse to accept crap, we force beadmakers
into making good stuff and to keep learning new and better skills.
When I look at Bead and Button mags from ten years ago, it shocks me
how well, crummy the beads were. Making dots was considered the
epitome of skill.

I compare the top-tier of lampwork today (say in "1,000 Beads") to
that of a decade ago, and that stuff isn't even close to the same
league. The art is evolving, and getting better. By insisting on
buying good stuff, and paying a fair price for it, everyone benefits.
That doesn't always mean buying from top "names," it means buying
items that are on the cutting edge of the art, no matter who made it.

Buying technically decent but not top-tier stuff from beginning
lampworkers is important to this equation as well: new people
usually need to sell their beads to buy materials and develop their
skills. I like buying from newbies - I get nice beads at a nice
price, even though they aren't breathtaking works of art, they're
great for making into jewelry that I'm not afraid to wear.

Kathy N-V

Old September 3rd 04, 08:22 PM
Lori Greenberg

Olympic says it reduces too and suggested it as 'similar'. Maybe you'll be
able to come up with something!

--
--------------------------------------
Lori Greenberg

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
And... I was totally wrong! One of the sellers shared on a public
forum... it's this:

http://snipurl.com/8udw

Now, what am I going to do with that 1/2 kilo of Gaffer Light Tobacco I
have on order? LOL!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Kalera Stratton wrote:
How about this? (I could be wrong but...)

http://snipurl.com/8u3o

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Lori Greenberg wrote:

Kalera Stratton wrote:

AW!

(Make sure it's Gaffer)

Now you've got me confused. I could only find Zimmerman Opaque. I
guess I'll have to go look some more.

Lori-no-signature-yet-Greenberg

Old September 3rd 04, 08:24 PM
Christina Peterson

They use the noun "collectible" to describe items that have good resale
value, on shows like Antique Road Show, etc. The adjective "collectable"
refers to something worth collecting.

Tina

"Kandice Seeber" wrote in message
I never thought of the word collectible to refer to the resale value - it
depends on the collector.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

You know, I really hate that word, "collectible", as well as the

concept.
It really kind of means that the value is in the *resale*, and not the

item
itself, not in the worthiness of the art.

In that context, I'd much rather pay $1,000 for beads for the art value,

and
their value as good material for other art work, than pay $200 for a

doll
because someone else might take it off my hands for a comparable value.

Tina

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
It's the difference, in a real-market kind of way, between art and
craft. They may be one and the same to the maker, but the collector

will
pay that kind of money for something they perceive as collectible art.

think it's a wonderful step forward for lampwork as an art... we're
already there as a craft, but we have yet to be truly accepted as a

fine
art. (I'm not saying that we're all artists, but there are some
lampworkers who are, and should be (and aren't) accepted as fine

artists).

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Dr. Sooz wrote:
The auction that closed for over $1000: http://snipurl.com/8rg1 (to

do
her
site and read about her reaction to it)

Come ON. This is insane.
~~
Sooz

Old September 3rd 04, 08:31 PM
Christina Peterson

I was only using the Barbie as an illustration of collectibles. And I think
it's great you made something off it. I intended no criticism.

Tina

Tina wrote:

You know, I really hate that word, "collectible", as well as the

concept.
It really kind of means that the value is in the *resale*, and not the

item
itself, not in the worthiness of the art.

Yes! I think it's one of those sort of situations where people invest in

an
intangible simply because someone else tells them it will be worth more.
They don't buy it because they like the item but merely for a chance to
resell it for a profit. That's great, making a profit on something, I

have
no problem with profits, but it muddies up the issue of art for art's sake
too.

In that context, I'd much rather pay $1,000 for beads for the art value,

and
their value as good material for other art work, than pay $200 for a

doll
because someone else might take it off my hands for a comparable value.

I was fortunate that the doll I made was for the fun of making it, and the
lady who bought it would never sell it as she bought it because she loved
the way I did the work. I would feel the same way about making beads,

that
the biggest thing is doing it because I like it. Of course there's an
aspect of creating something to sell it but that is not the same as

creating
something simply for the "collector's" market. There's something pretty
soulless to me about all those thousands and thousands of exactly-alike
dolls or statues or chess sets or whatever that sit and gather dust while
someone waits for them to rise in price.

I'd rather be an artist than a producer of 'collectibles' any day.

-Su

Old September 3rd 04, 08:40 PM
Kaytee

In article , "Kandice Seeber"
writes:

I never thought of the word collectible to refer to the resale value - it
depends on the collector.

Same here. My "collectables" are dust collectors that I find "cute", pretty or
"interesting", not particularly "valuable" in terms of monetary worth.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com

Old September 3rd 04, 08:40 PM
Kaytee

In article , vj
writes:

-$350 (plus $35 a
]month for the land care, cause we have no lawn equipment) for a 3 bedroom, 1
]bath, Big kitchen, full sized laundryroom and attached mud room.

and in Sacramento, that's $1000/month.

San Diego-- $1200 and up, plus the yard service would be around $100/mo for
bi-weekly "mow & blow"....

When the house next door was a rental, it was $1400/mo. And, the kitchen isn't
all that big, the laundry area is in the "2-car" garage, and there isn't a "mud
room".
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com

Old September 3rd 04, 09:06 PM
Su/Cutworks

Tina wrote:

I was only using the Barbie as an illustration of collectibles. And I

think
it's great you made something off it. I intended no criticism.

I didn't see any criticism, I only agreed with you that it's a terrible word
to describe things. I didn't think of my doll as a collectible either, she
was just a one of a kind bit of beading fun that appealed to someone.

The kind of collectible items I dislike are the kind churned out in their
identical thousands, like Franklin Mint stuff to name one.

I'm amazed constantly at the number of people who pay mass amounts for
things that I wouldn't spend ten cents on, yet I'd happily spend as much or
more than I could afford on other things, particularly those that are
individual, unique works by individual and unique people.

-Su

Old September 3rd 04, 09:40 PM
Kalera Stratton

What dictionary are you using??? My Websters defines "Collectable" as a
variant spelling of "Collectible".

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay