Firehouse angel - sigs - a suggestion

Old September 13th 03, 08:15 PM
Jan Lennie

Default Firehouse angel - sigs - a suggestion

Just thought about this , if each of the stitchers and contributors sign a
small piece of linen in a neutral colour ( white or cream ) and either
backstitch their sig or have one of the volunteer stitchers do it , then at
the end the pieces are stitched together crazy quilt style and maybe
attached to the bottom of the angel piece, how does that sound ?
Just a suggestion .
Jan

Old September 14th 03, 08:37 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply wrote:

There might be
stuff I am missing on this subject and I don't want to be making heavy handed
and dictatorial "pronouncements" about the border before I see what everyone
has had to say :-). CiaoMeow ^;;^

Oh go ahead and make your pronouncements.g People have to understand
you are entitled to your opinions and allowed to say them up front
without fear of backlash. People have to learn not to take statements
so personally. This is a "discussion". We're NOT going to agree on
everything. And discussion means solutions because we see things in
different ways and can reach compromise.

I personally haven't followed every single one of these posts, not sure
what you're talking about, and hope to heck we don't splatter our names
all over this thing and keep it as neat and simple as possible. It's
the design and stitching of same that is important.

Dianne

Old September 14th 03, 09:34 PM
Jan Lennie

I'm totally with you on this - just not very good on the descriptive !!!!!
Take care
and namaste
Jan
"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply " wrote in
message ...
From: animaux

..... I like the crazy quilt idea as I do believe Tia
Mary was going to do something like it. ......

Not really crazy quilt -- the pieces will be too small to actually do

cracy quilt. Also, some white or ecru shade will be too stark next to the
fabric of the angel. I know, I am making blanket statements but it comes

from
making a *lot* of quilts :-))). Besides, think about if the piece were

framed
in the regular way. Would you put a 3" wide white or really light mat

around
it, even if it has some sort of darker design on it?
Crazy quilt means that the pieces are all different shapes. We need to

have
the pieces big enough for people to write their names on them and not have

them
too "scrunched up". I had envisioned a "pieced" border where all the

pieces
are the same size but of several different fabrics that will all

coordinate
nicely with the needlework fabric and the colors of the floss. I need to
finish reading all of the posts to see what all has been said. There

might be
stuff I am missing on this subject and I don't want to be making heavy

handed
and dictatorial "pronouncements" about the border before I see what

everyone
has had to say :-). CiaoMeow ^;;^
.

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^

their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old September 14th 03, 10:50 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I vote (for the moment) that we take a deep breath, wait a few days, let
Tia Mary digest things, lay out a few suggestions, call for a vote or
discussion.

I agree with your statements below, but like all on-line groups, it's
difficult to keep momentum on a given topic. EVEN when the topic is
clear, such as this subject thread. Conversation drifts off and pretty
soon the discussion has no bearing on what the original subject was about.

I chaired the CyberStitchers bylaws committee and know full well how
this goes. Patience is needed. We'll sort it out.

Can anyone keep a notebook and jot down ideas or subjects as they
present themselves? That will help. Or printing out pertinent replies
and circling the important parts - though I suspect that will use up a
LOT of paper grin.

Dianne

animaux wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 14:37:39 -0500, Dianne Lewandowski
opined:

hope to heck we don't splatter our names
all over this thing and keep it as neat and simple as possible. It's
the design and stitching of same that is important.

Dianne

I originally suggested that those of us who wanted to, could sign their names in
a silver pen over a piece of navy blue cardstock or mat, which would be mounted
on the back of the piece in it's own little frame. I thought that would be more
humble. Why don't we just do it that way?

Old September 15th 03, 03:07 AM
Jenn Liace

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 01:16:58 GMT, "Gillian Murray"
wrote:

Tomorrow Jim and I ( with the three dachsies) head northwards from Fl, on a
long trip in the motorhome,enjoying friends, places we have never been, the
glorious fall in New England with my very spry FIL, and returning by the end
of October with a much overdue visit with my grandkids in MD. I shall make a
valiant effort to check every LNS on my list, and maybe find some that
aren't listed. The dazor is already in place by my rocker/recliner!!!!

Drive safely, enjoy the trip and have fun with the grands! Can't wait
to hear your stories when you return!

Jenn L.
View My Webshots: http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
Current projects:
Chicago Skyline (The Needlecraftsman)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Old September 15th 03, 06:04 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

There's a spot on the website for "Progress Notes". IF we have an
envelope thingy on the back, with thoughts written on paper, then
perhaps we could include this?

Is anyone keeping track of our "development?" The date it started, how
the idea grew to fruition?

Right now, there's a link on the page to About The Design (or something
similar) which doesn't go anywhere because I'm waiting for Marilyn's
"release".
Dianne
http://firehouse.heritageshoppe.com

animaux wrote:
We've all pretty much came to the same conclusion. This is about healing, not
about us. I would like to include a small blurb which we can each write as
individuals (or not if you choose not to) which can be somehow attached to the
back.

I have sheets of hand made (by me) paper. When I send out the work to each,
I'll include a piece of my hand made paper. Nobody is expected to use it. In a
hundred years, it would be so nice for those people to look back and see hope
and how it prevailed in this most horrific time in American history (to date
IMO).

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:08:26 -0400, "Carolyn Wagner"
opined:

Hi. I have signed up to stitch on this but haven't really given an opinion
to anything in particular until now. It's my feeling that the focus of this
project should be the angel. I don't particularly want to see border after
border "cluttering" up the main focus of this piece. If this is going to be
put in a shadow box, could there be a smaller rectangle of the dark blue
matting at the bottom, kind of folded (like a greeting card) or made to
stand somehow, that we could sign our names on? I'm afraid that if we have a
border attached to the angel with our names on it, the focus will become
more on us, and not on the angel or the firemen. And I really don't like the
idea of a border with all the lost firefighters' names. Again, I think that
will clutter up and draw attention away from the angel herself. Besides, the
focus of this, as I understand, is to heal. If you want to honor those who
were lost, add something to the outside back of the box, saying "In honor
and memory of those lost on September 11th, 2001, ....." and list the names.
Perhaps someone who is talented in calligraphy could do this. These are just
my thoughts and opinions. I will go along with the majority without fuss,
but I wanted to put in my 2-cents worth. Just send a sheet of instructions
with the angel, and let me know what to do!

Carolyn

. ..