Help with old english knitting directions

Old April 9th 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Help with old english knitting directions

Hey all, me again!

I am posting on behalf of a friend who has been asked to knit some socks
from an old english pattern, circ. 1940'ish.

this is this part that she is having problems with, can any of you
knitted brained wonders help please???

D-1/2"-5
I-1/2"-10
B-4-2R-8

There are no gaps, what you are seeing above is exactly how it is
written. I can't figure it out, and neither can she which is saying
something as she is a very experienced knitter but these have her
stumped!! they are not following on from each other, but they are the
only instructions that just don't make sense to her...

Any and all advice is, as always, appreciated!!

Rach

Old April 9th 06, 07:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
Rach *in NZ* wrote:
Hey all, me again!

I am posting on behalf of a friend who has been asked to knit some
socks from an old english pattern, circ. 1940'ish.

this is this part that she is having problems with, can any of you
knitted brained wonders help please???

D-1/2"-5
I-1/2"-10
B-4-2R-8

snip
they are not following on from each other

I think it would help if we had some idea of
where in the pattern those abbreviations occur.

=Tamar
Old April 9th 06, 11:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

we need more of this pattern to know what they are on about, D must mean
something as do I and B although if it is a lot of colours listed as
ABCDEFGHI then of course that would account for it, or a part of the pattern
that is listed as these Abbrevs. instead of repeat from * - ** it may mean
Knit in colour D for 1/2 -5 meaning five rows...could be anything til we get
to see the pattern as a whole.

hugz cher

Old April 9th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Rach,

I have to agree with Cher. I just got out my old book with an Argyle
sock patterns and there are three or more colors and it says something
like this Knit 2G-13 N-1 M-1 G-13 and like that. Hope this helps.

Hugs,

Nora

Old April 9th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

thank you all, I will see if I can get more of the pattern, I was
thinking that was the best thing to do, but my friend only gave me the
parts she is having problems with... I will get back to you all shortly.

TIA
Rach

PS: this place is great! Hope all is well and in good minds for the
Easter break?

Old April 10th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Rach *in NZ* wrote:
Hey all, me again!

I am posting on behalf of a friend who has been asked to knit some
socks from an old english pattern, circ. 1940'ish.

this is this part that she is having problems with, can any of you
knitted brained wonders help please???

D-1/2"-5
I-1/2"-10
B-4-2R-8

There are no gaps, what you are seeing above is exactly how it is
written. I can't figure it out, and neither can she which is saying
something as she is a very experienced knitter but these have her
stumped!! they are not following on from each other, but they are the
only instructions that just don't make sense to her...

Any and all advice is, as always, appreciated!!

Hi, Rach.

Could you post more of the pattern, please?

Higs,
Katherine

Old April 10th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Rach *in NZ* wrote:
thank you all, I will see if I can get more of the pattern, I was
thinking that was the best thing to do, but my friend only gave me the
parts she is having problems with... I will get back to you all
shortly.
TIA
Rach

PS: this place is great! Hope all is well and in good minds for the
Easter break?

Almost ready, Rach. I am heading to the UK, France, and Germany with a group
of students, so I am frantically cleaning my house, and packing. Not
forgetting my knitting!

Higs,
Katherine

Old April 10th 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Have a great trip, Katherine. Judy