The Bi-Annual Chore

Old June 25th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Default The Bi-Annual Chore

Love your friend's idea of "working retreats". Just wish I had a few
cousins who were quilters. Out of 32 cousins you would think that one
would be a serious quilter after all our grandmother quilted her
entire life.

If my husband ever left for a week end I could invite a few friends to
stay over. One friend has an annual quilting retreat at her house the
week end her husband and sons go hunting.

Maybe I should just invite a few friends over for a cutting day in
exchange for lunch and a bag of scraps.

Susan

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:34:23 -0400, (Denise in NH)
wrote:

I was feeling frustrated every time I walked through my semi-organized
sewing room and decided I needed to take out all of my material and
refold it. Most of my material is fat quarters in multiple wooden shoe
cubbies. There are 65 cubbies and each one can hold about 20 fat
quarters. By ironing and refolding I found that I can fit even more
material in each cubbie. I ironed about 4 hours yesterday and barely
finished one row of cubbies, 12 more rows to go. AAARRRGGGHH!!! I'm
re-thinking how they were organized at the same time. I'm going to put
all the florals together, instead of blue florals with the blue fabric,
pink florals with the pink fabric, etc. That way I'll be able to see at
a glance what I have for floral. I'll do the same with plaids and
stripes. Now, anything with blue is together and I'm finding it
confusing.

My friend has a great idea for quilting. She and 2 of her cousins are
all quilters, but live many hours apart. They each pick a different
weekend spaced out over a year and go to each other's houses for a long
weekend (Friday night to Sunday night) . On "your" weekend, you can
choose whatever you want your guests to do for you. The hostess gets all
the perks. My friend will pull out a ton of material and tell her
cousins to cut it all up into 5 inch squares, or whatever she needs,
then on her own, at a later date, she has mountains of pre-cut squares
to make charity quilts. Her cousin needed help sorting, cutting, and
making kits for her guild, so the three of them took two full days to
work on it together. The other cousin buys woolen clothing at charity
shops to cut up for woolen quilts, so on her weekend, they dismantle
suit coats, woolen skirts, etc, and cut tons of her sized squares.

During their "quilt retreat weekends" they work from morning till night,
only breaking for meals. They get so much work done, most of it the
tedious stuff that takes forever when you're alone. It's a great
bonding time for the three of them, and they accomplish so much.

To catch dog piddles for the vet, tape a soup ladle to the end of a
yardstick and as soon as the stream starts place under appropriate area.
It works great and doesn't spook the dog. Don't shove it under them
until the stream has started.

Denise in NH

Old June 26th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article , Susan Laity
Price wrote:

Love your friend's idea of "working retreats". Just wish I had a few
cousins who were quilters. Out of 32 cousins you would think that one
would be a serious quilter after all our grandmother quilted her
entire life.

If my husband ever left for a week end I could invite a few friends to
stay over. One friend has an annual quilting retreat at her house the
week end her husband and sons go hunting.

Maybe I should just invite a few friends over for a cutting day in
exchange for lunch and a bag of scraps.

What time do you want me there?

And most importantly, would there be chocolate?

--
Connie
Old June 26th 07, 04:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article , Denise in
NH wrote:

[...]

Oooh, my best friend and I used to do that with a couple of friends
from the guild .... since she owned a quilt shop, we'd either do it at
her house (where she had a sewing room the size of an average large
bedroom - slept 4 on the floor ... surrounded by lovely fabric) or at
her store (with a few freebies as "thank you's)."

Of course, very little sleep would be had over the weekend, but
strangely enough, we didn't care!