The Bi-Annual Chore

Old June 21st 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default Scraps! The Bi-Annual Chore

Howdy!

Terri said:
I myself ended up with two gallon container plastic bags stuffed
full of 2.5" squares and another one with 5" squares.

Ah, a beginner, huh? VBG

When the scrap container gets full, it's time for a new
scrap container.
Is this a bug going around, playing w/ the scrappy scraps this month?
I brought one of the scrap baskets to the dining room last week,
sewed a bunch of pieces together, ironed them all flat, now I'm trimming
& sewing some of those together, no pattern, no idea where this is
going, except to use them. There will be a quilt top at the end
of this session, very scrappy. When it's sandwiched & on its way
thru' the quilting process I'll bring out another basket of scraps
and see where they take themselves. Then I'll go back to the big
pieces of fabric, make a couple of quilts, and end up w/ more scraps!
(You know how this is, RobertaZ. g)

Bi-annual chore-- trying to think of what gets done around here
only every-other year-- windows? dusting the book shelves? clearing
out the garage? nah..those are annual chores... must be window cleaning g
For sure I don't deliberately cut the scraps into particular sizes
until I'm ready to use them. Would be a waste of time for me, 'cause I'm
constantly shopping my stash and needing something more than a 2 1/2" square
or a piece of nickel fabric. If they were cut to regulation size they
wouldn't be "scraps", they'd be "pieces". ;-

R/Sandy

On 6/21/07 10:15 AM, in article , "Terri"
wrote:

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in
:

Terri-

I admire you for going thru your scraps like that- very ambitious. I
don't do scrappy, so I ship my scraps to someone else who can- and will-
do the cutting and sorting. At least they don't go to waste that way.

It really is one chore I hate and put it off until the scrap container
is overflowing and I can't cram anymore in there.
When I begin I feel so industrious and frugal for about half the first
day and then I begin to procrastinate, finding many other things to
keep me away from the chore.
Once I resign myself to it though I buckle down and I finished last
night. The sewing room is neat and clean and the bags of scraps
ready to give to the recipient.

But oh my it is a tedious chore for me to make myself do!

Old June 21st 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lisa

Default The Bi-Annual Chore or not?

On Jun 21, 12:36 pm, Debra wrote:
On 21 Jun 2007 15:18:24 GMT, Terri wrote:

"Polly Esther" wrote in
:

Don't get carried away with cutting all of the scraps into squares.
Sometimes you could need just a little something to make chenille and it
must be cut from bias. Last night I put fuzzy tails on rabbits from
Grandma's Bunnies by Darcy Ashton.

This sounds like an interesting book but I found that it's out of print!
Wah!

So is Claire's Cats. I will get my hands on both books eventually by
Half.com, Ebay and other auction sites, quilt shows, quilt shops, book
stores, and used book stores. Do not despair, you can get your own
the same way.
Debra in VA
See my quilts athttp://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere

Both of those books are available via amazon.com (from other sellers):
http://www.amazon.com/Grandmas-Bunni...2445554&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Claires-Cats-3...2445554&sr=8-1

If the links don't work, I found them via the search. The Cats book
is currently on eBay.

HTH.

Old June 21st 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

I have started using lavender water in my steam iron - it makes the job of
ironing all the scraps a little nicer!

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old June 21st 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

That is such a surprise. I had no idea that those books were out of print.
Sooner or later, every quilter is going to want or need to make a crib quilt
and you might as well be prepared. Polly

"Polly Esther" wrote, Don't get carried away with cutting all of the

Old June 21st 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Liz Megerle

Default Black and White - was The Bi-Annual Chore

Butterflywings wrote:

On the other hand..I am collecting for a black/white quilt----just haven't
found a design that would make me happy yet---I'm thinking I don't want to
be locked into one shape but I don't want a sampler and I don't want to
loose the prints on some of these fabrics either......gonna hafta do some
more cogitatin on this one........

Butterfly (sounds like I need to get back to quilting, doesn't itg)

My mom made a wistful mention of "something in black and white, with
maybe a touch of red", and this is what I came up with. It's the Bento
Box pattern, but I set the blocks on point.
The off-whites don't stand out so much in real life, but they aren't
pure white, either.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...49602776zKoMQY

And if you're looking at my pictures, check out
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...49602776suCYnV
I took the Bargello Seasons class at Quilt University last year. The
individual projects are in the same album, as well as the backing I've
chosen.

Both tops are going to my longarmer next month.
Liz
Old June 21st 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens

I used to leave my scraps until I needed them, but after several years of
never "needing them", I started pressing and cutting. I find I use lots of
2.5", 2", and 1.5" strips. I only save 5" and 2" squares. Anything smaller
gets tossed. When my bins get full, its time to make another scrap quilt.
And since I use 2.5" strips for binding, a lot more of my quilts have
scrappy bindings as well.
Everyone has to find a method that works for them, that's why there are so
many ways of doing each task!

--
Susan in Kingston ON
back to quilting, as usual

Old June 21st 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

On the other hand, Darcy has a lot of other books out, and is always
working on new ones. BG
I want several of them. sigh.

If you go to Darcy's website you can even download complementary samples
that are similar to, but different from, the ones in some of her books.
Lots of fun patterns there.

Pati, in Phx

Old June 21st 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

"Liz Megerle" wrote in message
Butterflywings wrote:

On the other hand..I am collecting for a black/white quilt----just
haven't found a design that would make me happy yet---I'm thinking I
don't want to be locked into one shape but I don't want a sampler and I
don't want to loose the prints on some of these fabrics either......gonna
hafta do some more cogitatin on this one........

Butterfly (sounds like I need to get back to quilting, doesn't itg)

My mom made a wistful mention of "something in black and white, with maybe
a touch of red", and this is what I came up with. It's the Bento Box
pattern, but I set the blocks on point.
The off-whites don't stand out so much in real life, but they aren't pure
white, either.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...49602776zKoMQY

Snipped very quietly

Bento Box has possibilities without red....I do not want any 'color'...thus
the real challenge.... I have all the way from stark white to black black
and shades in-between but OFF-white will not be used nor will gray (at this
point) the blacks will have prints from TOT to black/white and the same with
the whites. I should check it out to see if I have enuf to get started, eh?
Have a feeling this might end up being Queen size by the time I'm done.
I had seriously thought of Bargello but I don't want to cut them up that
much and I wasn't that crazy about doing it.(As an aside, I had leftover
reds Bargello that I finally used for my SM cover. Leftovers were from a
vest I made someone quite a few years ago.)

Thanks for the ideas

Butterfly

Old June 21st 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

When we moved I kept finding little caches of scraps. A bag here,
a bucket there. Boy I had no idea there were so many. I have been
playing with them for the last month or so. Not sure when they
will become anything more than scraps but surely they will keep
and they are fun to pull out and threaten to use.
Taria

Sandy Ellison wrote:
Howdy!

Old June 22nd 07, 10:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Butterflywings wrote:

[...]

What about something with tessellations - here is a black and white with
a little red:

http://gottliebsen.dk/Pics/vejen_hjem2.jpg

But my point is that you could make this going from stark black and
"dark" white to stark white with a light black and still keep the
contrasts. And of course, don't include the red :-)

Hanne in London