Nann's Annual Reckoning

Old January 1st 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann Hilyard

Default Nann's Annual Reckoning

Scooting in briefly to say hello to RCTQ!

Since 1998 I have kept track of fabric bought and used. That's brave to
begin with. Even braver is that I confess!

The good news for 2006 is that I bought less, spend less, and used more than
in 2005. The not-as-good news is that I paid more per yard. (And, yes, the
average price per yard is that low. I took great advantage of the "50% off
clearance" sales at Joann's and the Hobby Lobby clearance bins. I also buy
fabric at thrift shops and yard sales.)

Hope you all have a bright and happy 2007.

Nann
quilt photos he http://community.webshots.com/user/nbhilyard
*******************
Year / Yards Bought / Yards Used / Amount spent

1998 / 356 / 170 / n/a
1999 / 297 / 172 / n/a
2000 / 283 / 124 / n/a
2001 / 317 / 163 / n/a
2002 / 280 / 153 / n/a
2003 / 335 / 136 / n/a
2004 / 644 / 228 / $2,264 ($3.46/yd)
2005 / 1033 / 270 / $1,672 ($1.62/yd)
2006 / 657 / 394 / $1,485 ($2.26/yd)

total bought: 4222
total used: 1810
difference: 2412
Note: this does not take into account the fact
that I had yardage on hand before 1998!

Old January 1st 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Nann, you're a sight, you know that? One of your numbers (well, actually
all of them) really stands out to me. Just exactly how did you manage to
use 394 yards of fabric in 2006? I thought our friend Jill who makes quilts
for the puppy shelter was our most prolific quilter but don't know if she
could even touch your record. Polly

. ..

Old January 1st 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Wow! I love reading this every year. You're a good bargain hunter, it
would be fun to go fabric shopping with you.

marcella

Old January 1st 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews Moore

I always look forward to you letting us know how much cloth you buy and then
use. When I see that you always have a couple thousand yards you haven't
used, it make me feel better that I have a whole bedroom / sewing room that
I can barely walk around in, PLUS all the cloth stored in a chest in the
hall, and one coat closet. That's just in SC. Here in FL in this small 12
X 40 mobile home I still have too much, but it is sorta under control.

I'm also impressed at how much you sew up. Maybe this new year I will be
able to get more sewing done.
Barbara

Old January 1st 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Oh Nann, you do amazing work. I just got lost in your photos. LOL. And
this accounting you do is also amazing. I tend to hide my purchases,
even from myself. You obviously have a very good organization system,
for your finances as well as for your fabric. I would love to go
shopping with you....I also buy a lot of my fabric at estate sales and
thrift stores. It's wonderful to get something gorgeous for almost
nothing. So when you tot up your list of people, just put me in the
"total admirers" category.

Sunny
(who will never be so brave and productive)

Old January 1st 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Nann Hilyard wrote:
Scooting in briefly to say hello to RCTQ!

Since 1998 I have kept track of fabric bought and used. That's brave to
begin with. Even braver is that I confess!

The good news for 2006 is that I bought less, spend less, and used more than
in 2005. The not-as-good news is that I paid more per yard. (And, yes, the
average price per yard is that low. I took great advantage of the "50% off
clearance" sales at Joann's and the Hobby Lobby clearance bins. I also buy
fabric at thrift shops and yard sales.)

Hope you all have a bright and happy 2007.

Nann
quilt photos he http://community.webshots.com/user/nbhilyard

I loved the Weed Whacker in your album, and when I looked it up on
Bonnie Hunter's site - there was your quilt again, shown as an example.
Congratulations! I do like the border of the little left over triangles.
--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)
Old January 1st 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
JPgirl

WOW!

I think you should offload some of that excess fabric, I mean it must
be choking you out of your house. You can send some to me and I'll take
good care of it

I almost never buy fabric at full price either, unless it is something
I really need to finish a quilt and I just can't find anything suitable
on sale. I am usually the one scouting the bargain tables at the local
fabric store for the $1 & $2 a metre stuff or the 'buy one get two
free' sales are usually a good deal too.

Old January 1st 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann Hilyard

Polly asked:
One of your numbers (well, actually
all of them) really stands out to me. Just exactly how did you manage to
use 394 yards of fabric in 2006? I thought our friend Jill who makes

quilts
for the puppy shelter was our most prolific quilter but don't know if she
could even touch your record.

Among the larger stashbusters this year: ditty bags for Care Bags
(www.carebags4kids.org) My annual goal is to make 100 ("a century")
for the project. I sent 100 in both 2005 and 2006, and I have 40 in the
stack for 2007. (1 yd = 3 unlined or 2 lined bags.)

I gave a BIG box o' scraps as a White Elephant at the quilt guild holiday
party.
It weighed 10 lbs, at least. (Someone figured out that there are 4 yds to
a pound, so
that's 40 yards.) I gave another 10-lb box of largish pieces that I no
longer loved
to a woman who makes quilts for homeless people.

So, that accounts for 120 yards, =/-.

Nann

Old January 1st 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann Hilyard

So, did you buy any of the half-off-clearance fabrics at TSWLTH today?

Nann

(TSWLTH=the store we love to hate=Joann's)

oups.com...

Old January 2nd 07, 07:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
R. E. Wicker

Dear Nann,
I've read with a degree of amusement and admiration your
accountingf the material bought during the year. I spent real money
sending for yardage on line, it appeared on my card...but no material.
It was a sale 180 inches square (two of them) I wanted to back the two
star quilts I made. I thought I was not up to piecing together two
backs. I also could not afford to pay out that money to Quilt in a
Day and get nothing back. Now I plan to go the the Lady Bug run by
that lovely lady who used to be in Fergus Falls...I'm not good with
names and see if I can buy the real thing, pay and carry it home. In
fact I plan to do it today when I go to that new shopping area near
Dilworth. It's a big decision because I don't like spending twice to
get it once. It is a lesson learned however as we have lovely shops
here in Mhd and Fargo and I'd better use them or they could go out of
business.

Hello, Nann, and I miss you.
Rhoda