OT - stolen mail

Old September 15th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Default OT - stolen mail

This really is totally off topic:

I'm furious - I use a loyalty card at the local supermarket (Tesco). It
gives me points and 4 times a year vouchers are sent out based on number
of points earned.

Well, in May my envelope did not arrive. I called them and they
transferred the points back in the account. Then, I should have gotten
the next envelope by Sep 10. Today I called to check, since it did not
arrive. Apparently, the vouchers inside had already been spent at my
local supermarket. The points will be added back to my account, for
arrival in November - I did ask fro the mail to be sent to me at a
different address!

However, this means that either
(1) the mail man/woman stole it or
(2) someone in my building did

I'm guessing (2).

In my building there is one slot for mail in the front door, with 5
flats/apartments in the building. So all the mail is delivered through
the slot, and we sort it ourselves.

Of course, Tesco (wanting the extra advertisement) send out these
envelopes in company colours with "Club Card points inside" plastered
all over them.

Now, I want to go home and leave a notice for everyone in the building
to see, but I want to be reasonable - after all I don't know who if
anyone in the house had dinner (think steak and wine - easily) for my
money. I was thinking of phrasing it as a warning to be careful with
your mail.

Several more of my mail has been opened over the last few months - maybe
I should be looking for new digs after all.

What would you do? Or write on that note?

Thanks,
Hanne in London
Old September 15th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

I'd be getting me a post-box at the post office ASAP

I'd be inclined to put a note up saying that unfortunately someone in the
building sees fit to open/keep others mail. and remind them that is is theft
and fraud. (looking up applicable notes in the law to refer to.

*and* I'd complain bitterly to the land lord till he/she put up separate
mailboxes (on the wall outdoors if necessary)
in fact I would be inclined to tell my landlord that he/she should do
something about it or you will dock some of the rent till it's fixed,
setting said docked rent on a separate account so as to show you are not
trying to pay less rent but that you are trying to get your mail delivered
safely as is your right - it's not the postman's fault you are not getting
mail but the landlords for not having a proper way of getting the mail
delivered for the separate flats. this is of course IMNSHO and would be
within the law in NL but I am of course not up to speed with UK laws on
this.

now I do so hope your block makes it safely!

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old September 15th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

I just looked at the PO box stuff - not totally simple for me to arrange
(access the it etc), and then tell everyone...

I can't legally withhold rent, and unfortunately there are 5 separate
landlords none of whom can be bothered to get the work done (and
probably they don't want to pay either), but yes, I think I will call
mine to hear what he has to say.

Thanks,
Hanne in London

Old September 15th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Iris Smith

I'd be very careful about thinking it's a fellow resident - and as my son's
a postman I'd say don't assume it's you own postman - it's probably not - or
even your own sorting office. There's lots of handlers between the original
sending and the delivery. I'd complain loudly to the head of your local
office pointing out that two identical items, clearly identifiable as of
some value, have not been received by you and asking them to look into it.
It's possible that other people have had the same experience and they've
also complained the PO might!!! be able to trace down where they go astray.
Last time I tried to use Tesco's vouchers (that come with points coupons)
they wanted my card/key tag before they'd accept them.
Iris

Old September 15th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

no it isn't simple - but it *is* safe so possibly worth the hassle.

bummer about having so many landlords that would be a real pain up the
rear end

Old September 15th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Every single time I have tried to complain, Royal Mail (local or not,
including going through the consumer watchdog - I forget the name) have
said that they want the complaints to come from the sender of the mail
(and Tesco just is not fussed enough to do this).

I did ask Tesco if I didn't need my card to use the coupons, they said
no, but maybe that is only for the points coupons? Frankly, even just
the points coupons would have been nice...

Thing is, it is not likely to be some remote sorting office, since the
coupons were redeemed just across the road from me - literally.

Hanne in London
- liking the idea of individual post boxes more and more...

Old September 15th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Jessamy wrote:
no it isn't simple - but it *is* safe so possibly worth the hassle.

bummer about having so many landlords that would be a real pain up the
rear end

And btw - now you might all better understand why I use my work address
for swaps etc :-) Your envelopes just all look too good to risk sending
through my part of London!

Hanne in London
Old September 15th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

You might want to check with the PO on landlord obligations
for mail delivery/security. You may all be in one building
but if the mail is directed to your specific flat adress
perhaps the landlords are required to provide suitable mail
boxes.

At least report the "loss of mail" to the landlord.

--
Cheryl & the Cats
0 0 o o 0 0

:

Old September 15th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

ahhh phew I can stop worrying!
--
Jessamy - who can now safely say that she is reclaiming her title of Queen
of Chocolate Squishies after having mailed 10 of them yesterday ;-)

Old September 15th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kiteflyer

Are you allowed to mount your own box outside? If would be worth the
cost if you can.

Denny
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/kiteflyer54

in the mail Kristine Yarn 0 August 16th 05 05:00 PM
AD -- Beads by Mail ! really low prices for Czech glass beads beadplay Beads 10 June 11th 05 09:09 PM
OT Group Project - The Mail Joel M. Eichen Sewing 1 October 11th 04 08:01 PM
STOLEN Mail ! roxan Beads 22 February 4th 04 07:20 AM