Wonderful idea for a quilt show

Old March 18th 12, 03:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Wonderful idea for a quilt show

Today at the Pensacola FL quilt show they had an exhibit that I thought was
terrific. Named "Quilting Does Matter". Ten or so identical quilts about a
yard square, Irish Chain, blue squares on white. Every one was quilted in a
different manner by a different quilter. To participate in the exhibit, the
quilters had to have been paid to quilt at least one quilt in the past.
(That didn't make much sense to me but didn't matter either.)
Just every manner of quilting you can think of - loose, random FM, tiny
tight McTavish, lovely hand-stitched, long-armed of various levels, a
couple of 'domestic' machines (as contrasted with 'wild' you suppose?) and
one Beautifully feathered. Even one who did portraits of dog breeds that
was awesome.
I don't know if it was a new idea or one everybody's done but I surely
did enjoy it. Ah. Yes. Quilting does matter. Wish you could have been
there. Polly

Old March 18th 12, 05:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

I have a book somewhere, yes somewhere but don't ask me where, that has
several quilts made four times but each quilted differently to show just
that. That how you quilt a quilt can make a difference. I made several
color overheads for the art teacher one year after she looked at the book.
Used them in a lesson for her kids.

Wish I could have seen these too.

Steven
Alaska

Old March 18th 12, 08:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

I have that book, too, Steven. I think it was the first book I bought
when I started P&Q. It has been a great standby ever since.
..
In message ications,
Steven Cook writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old March 18th 12, 08:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

That does sound like a great idea for a Show. I love to see these 'the
same but made to look different' sets of quilts. One of the best I have
ever seen was a set of four Storm at Sea patterns made to look entirely
different simply by colour placement. Well, I say 'simply', but they
were brilliant. One of them was so 'different' that I could just about
see what had been done, standing close up and examining a single block
and piece of sashing, but when I stepped back to look at the whole, I
'lost' what I had discovered. Fantastic.
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes

Old March 18th 12, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

I think that is why I like the simple pineapple block so much. Strips of fabric, but oh! the possibilities!

I just got my wall hanging back from the quilter, and bound it. I absolutely love it, but had previously committed it to go to the annual Saddlebag Saturday charity motorcycle run/quilters' gathering for Meals on Wheels in Buellton [CA] put on my my friend Dawn. If I can figure out how to take a picture and send it to someone to put on their photo album, I will. It is the humble pineapple block, set of 16, color placement looking like an Ojo de Dios [God's eye].

Ginger in CA

On Sunday, March 18, 2012 1:10:04 AM UTC-7, Pat S wrote:
That does sound like a great idea for a Show. I love to see these 'the
same but made to look different' sets of quilts. One of the best I have
ever seen was a set of four Storm at Sea patterns made to look entirely
different simply by colour placement. Well, I say 'simply', but they
were brilliant. One of them was so 'different' that I could just about
see what had been done, standing close up and examining a single block
and piece of sashing, but when I stepped back to look at the whole, I
'lost' what I had discovered. Fantastic.
.
In message , Polly Esther
writes

Old March 19th 12, 12:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 22:47:56 -0500, Polly Esther wrote
(in article ):

[...]

That sounds lovely! We had a special non-competition display at our show of
quilts that had been quilted by various guild members. Most of them were on
some variation of a longarm or midarm machine.

Maureen

Old March 19th 12, 02:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AllisonH

On 17/03/2012 11:47 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
[...]

That would also be a great idea fcor a guild challenge!

Allison
Old March 19th 12, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

if a whole guild did that with something kid or baby related you could
have a really neat display and then a lot of quilts to donate to a local
charity.
Wish I could have seen the show.
Taria

"AllisonH" wrote in message
.com...

[...]

Wonderful gesture - quilt as a gift Ceridwen Quilting 15 August 21st 06 11:41 PM
Got given an old, wonderful quilt. Pati Cook Quilting 5 May 26th 05 01:38 PM
Wonderful Quilt Quote: J&D Quilting 2 December 2nd 04 01:42 AM
Wonderful quilt history book Mosiacquilter Quilting 0 March 7th 04 09:12 PM