Peyote Woes, help request

Old October 12th 04, 07:07 PM
Diana Curtis

Default Peyote Woes, help request

Making flat peyote seems as easy as falling off a log for me. Making it so
it doesnt bow or ripple on one edge is giving me fits. I wont tell you how
many times I have ripped out this one little band and started over.
The tutorials on how to weave these little buggers together are great, Ive
looked at every one I can find online to hopefully solve this problem, but
none of them go beyond the diagrams.
I think I know what the problem is, the stringing material I'm using is
(pardon the expression) crap. Its walmart stuff and I had hoped it was
suitable for this work but in a small test I found that it will stretch over
1/4 inch to the inch and stretch back. I think in working the first couple
of rows I'm pulling the work snug and then the stringing material is
snapping back to make it even tighter.
So, do I toss this stringing material into the trash and try to use
spiderwire? *thats the only other option I have beside quilting type
threads* or shall I plug on ahead and try not to snug up the first rows so
much? Buying more threads just isnt an option at the moment. You should see
my bills and invoices for all the beads and findings for just this last
week.
I will NOT give up. The beads just look so pretty all strung nice and tidy
like this.
Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this problem.
Diana

--
Vote this November (U.S.A.)

Old October 12th 04, 07:19 PM
~Candace~

I've used the WalMart stuff, and I found a solution that worked well enough
for me. At the end of each and every row, pull it tight--without fail.
That way, your tension stays about even throughout the entire piece, and it
doesn't warp on one side. If it stays tight, it's evenly tight, and if it
relaxes a bit, it does that evenly, too.

It helps if you go ahead and do a couple beads on the next row, then pause
to go back and tighten up the last one. Just seems to "hold" easier in my
hand when I do that.

After doing that stitch for a few months now, I can get my tension nice and
even without thinking about--my hands just automatically make all the right
motions and I don't even notice it anymore. You'll see--your hands will
learn it too, Diana!
I can't wait to see what you've been working on

--
~Candace~

Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader~
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
information~
http://snipurl.com/8s8o

Old October 12th 04, 07:28 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

My thought is to ditch the wallyworld crap and use spiderwire. Also, just
make a few starter rows with plain beads to get your groove/tension going
THEN start on the pattern. You can go back and rip out the starter rows
later.

Barb

Old October 12th 04, 07:28 PM
Diana Curtis

I can guarentee that the piece wont photograph well. To many little
sparklys. Its light turquoise and gold beads that feel like cream when
worked up.
Thank you for the tip. Ill give it a shot. Cant hurt, at any rate!
Diana

--
Vote this November (U.S.A.)
m...

Old October 12th 04, 07:30 PM
~Candace~

Okay, I've got a ? about using fishing line. When I tired to use mine, I
always ended up messing up the line (kinking it) by pulling my pieces tight.
Is it me, or what?

Old October 12th 04, 07:44 PM
Diana Curtis

Pattern? oh... I may get brave and do a pattern someday. Technique first,
then design. :-)
Im starting out my first/second row with alternating gold/aqua, then working
the third row in whichever color slides on my needle next.
However, the idea of doing many rows to get the tension right makes sense. I
wasnt aware that they could be removed.
Thanks!
Diana

--
Vote this November (U.S.A.)

Old October 12th 04, 07:44 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

The stuff can kink - use shorter pieces and add in more when you need to.
You can also condition the spiderline with beeswax or thread heaven, it
helps a little bit.

B.

m...

Old October 12th 04, 07:59 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Yup, just tie on a stopper bead on the end, then cut it off and rip out the
rows carefully - leaving enough of a tail to weave in and secure the work.

Old October 12th 04, 09:04 PM
Empress Beads

I cannot use Spider wire. It is too big. I like to peyote with 11's and
need to use thread. To me the use of a needle is easier when you need to
pick up the bead.

-Amy

Old October 12th 04, 10:44 PM
~Candace~

Yep--monofilament. Poo on that. I do like using Nymo for weaving, though,
so it's that big of a deal
Thanks, Kathy!

--
~Candace~

Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader~
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
information~
http://snipurl.com/8s8o

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
. giganews.com...
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:30:47 -0400, Candace~ wrote
(in message ):

Okay, I've got a ? about using fishing line. When I tired to use mine, I
always ended up messing up the line (kinking it) by pulling my pieces
tight.
Is it me, or what?

Are you using a Spectra line? (Firewire or Power Pro - Spiderwire
can also be made of Spectra, but it's not as dependable) Firewire
and Power Pro have little or no stretch, and the thinner gauges (up
to 10 lb) have never kinked on me.

Monofilament (everything but Spectra) will kink every time and drive
you crazy. I know that lots of people prefer Nymo, Silamide or some
such, but I've switched to Spectra lines exclusively. I find them so
much easier to work with, and the lack of color choice hasn't
bothered me in the least. At the worst, if I'm doing a stitch where
thread color matters, Sharpie markers come in loads of colors, and
it's simple to run the thread over a marker.

Kathy N-V

Peyote Watchband Questions Diana Curtis Beads 19 October 11th 04 05:34 PM
Ocean Waves - a request Valerie Beads 3 June 23rd 04 11:17 AM
My first peyote piece Candace Beads 21 June 7th 04 07:52 AM
Peyote - Finally starlia Beads 13 February 27th 04 06:09 PM
AD: Lampwork Classes and Request Tinkster Beads 4 January 14th 04 05:09 AM