Meet Matilda Mallstomper

Old March 27th 04, 01:30 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Thank you Rachel This seems more reasonable !!!
mirjam
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 02:01:44 GMT, Rachel Janzen
wrote:

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Rachel , i was facinated to read this note of yours,
esp the opening line .....[ and please don`t be offended by my being
surprised about it]

One of the first thing you learn when you learn scrapbooking (Creative
Memories in particular)

The mere idea that one has or can `learn scrapbooking `, made me dizy
and completely made me wonder ,, i thought we all knew how to remember
, we all did it in our tradional and private way , as a kid i have had
Glue -in albums into which i glued postcards , articles , snippets i
cut out of mags , paper doilies from places i visited where i asked
family or friends and even the waiter to sign it!!!! after glueing it
in i would add some drawings with water color ,, a photo of me and my
Praternal Oma and Papa in switerland i Hid in a double folded page
which i cut into the form of a cabin on the Cable Ban. A desert School
trip , got images of desert views as background ,,,, so Was I book
scrapping ,,,, was i making creative memories ??? i am not putting you
down , nore am i cinycal ,,,,isn`t a bit commercializing , of even
Unifying Memories ,, in a TREND of that is how it is done ??? and what
if one has another idea ,,,, if one does not want or have all this
stuff , is he /she than not Creative ??? and what is this word
creative ??? doing here anyway ,,,, memories are memories, and anybody
does or doesn`t do it , in their own way , why add this trendy word ??
and if it would be called Creative ? won`t people do it ?? if the can
or need to do it ???
mirjam

I guess a little explanation to those not in North America is needed. I
guess I shoiuld of said Creative Memories (TM) - because it is a popular
scrapbooking supply company that like Tupperware has home-based party
marketing. By teaching, their specialty is teaching people how to use
photo-safe materials, so that even through you are being creative, the
methods ensure that future generations have the memories you've preserved.

Rachel

Old March 27th 04, 04:54 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Mirjam,
You take offense too easily.

I don't know if you would take the time to look to see what "scrapbooking"
is today. I do know that a girlfriend in the UK had no clue what a popular
hobby it is here; she found out after her daughter returned from a year
abroad program thoroughly hooked on it. I see this craze as national thing,
not a global thing. I could be wrong.

I don't happen to "get it" when it comes to scrapbooking (memories being a
wholly private thing), stamping or a number of the other popular hobbies.

Collage is a way to cover a box in my hands - others do it better and I am
content see their art, not to emulate them.
Cheryl

On 3/27/04 12:24 PM, in article , "Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen" wrote:

Cheryl , i don`t know if i should be thankful for your try to Explain
my words or offended by it ,,,,,,Imagine that i have gone on line as
well as looked into some mags and catalogs that describe Contemporary
Scarpbooking ,,,, making v collages is making collages whether you did
it years ago with glue and paint or Now adays using your computer as
home printer ,,,, the technical advancements , do not change the
subject it is still the same idea , a collage of documents letters
photos and other `things` that belong[ed] to one person or a group ofd
persons .
mirjam
,,,,, On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 10:29:36 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 3/26/04 8:02 PM, in article
, "Ericka
Kammerer" wrote:

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:

Rachel , i was facinated to read this note of yours,
esp the opening line .....[ and please don`t be offended by my being
surprised about it]

One of the first thing you learn when you learn scrapbooking (Creative
Memories in particular)

The mere idea that one has or can `learn scrapbooking `, made me dizy
and completely made me wonder ,, i thought we all knew how to remember
, we all did it in our tradional and private way ,

Is it really *that* surprising that some people just
want a little help tackling what many perceive as an
overwhelming project? Are anyone's scrapbooks less valuable
because they choose to follow certain techniques rather than
coming up with all their own? While you may feel you always
knew how to do it in your own way, apparently there are many
others who don't. If they choose to use certain products or
take lessons in certain techniques, I don't see how that's
inappropriate. And maybe someday they'll feel more comfortable
and spread their wings a bit more, and maybe they'll be
perfectly happy with what they're already doing.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Ericka,

What Mirjam thinks of as "scrapbooking" is not the craft practiced by so
many today. I have several of my DMIL's scrapbooks. They are quite plain by
today's standards.
Cheryl

Old March 27th 04, 05:51 PM
Karen C - California

In article , Cheryl Isaak
writes:

Collage is a way to cover a box

Collage, as I understand it, is taking parts of things to completely cover an
*entire* surface. It's OK in collage to cover up half a photo with another
photo.

As it's been demonstrated to me, scrapbooking covers only *part* of the page
with photos, and fills some of the rest of the page with written memories. A
photo may be enhanced with a border or frame, but important parts aren't hidden
behind other photos.

I'm with Cheryl -- I don't "get" the current scrapbooking trend. Doesn't stop
me from buying their fabulous pre-printed papers and borders, to use for
writing letters, but my photos are in a box with the important information
written on the back of them. So often, in the background of old family photos,
was something of far more interest than the people in front -- an old car, a
house, etc. -- I could never bring myself to cut out just the face and discard
the historical details some future generation would find intriguing.

Maybe I'd be more into scrapbooking if there were a next generation to pass
them on to, but I'm the end of the line on this side of the ocean.

--
Finished 3/17/04 -- Elmo
WIP: Fireman's Prayer, Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old March 27th 04, 07:14 PM

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

I don't happen to "get it" when it comes to scrapbooking (memories
being a wholly private thing), stamping or a number of the other
popular hobbies.

As an avid scrapbooker, I do it because I like to share memories. I did a
scrapbook of my parents' 50th anniversary party that included the cards
from those who attended as well as their photos, with notes written by each
one to my parents. Many of these people have since died, and a scrapbook
is one way to gather all of these memories from many people to pass on to
my parents' granchildren. I also scrapbooked a lot of the memoribilia my
mother had of my father, who passed away two years ago (and this is an on-
going project...). Doing that I learned things about my Dad that I didn't
know, including the fact that he was one of the first people to take the
SATs. Again, gathering all this in one place, with the photos and the
written notes describing the importance of everything there,is a way to
pass these memories on. I don't cut the photos down to just someone's
face; seeing the car or the house or the landscape in the background puts
it all in context.

I also scrapbook my vacations, including photos, pamphlets, maps, coasters,
matchbooks, and anything else I can gather (the New Orleans book has beads
in it and the Key West and Hawaii books have shells and sand). When
friends come over for dinner or parties, they know where my scapbooks are
and look to see what's new. At least two couples have in part planned
their vacations around my scrapbooks! They found it inspiring to see
photos of Fort Jefferson and the Dry Tortugas, for example, next to the
brochure of the ferry and the map of the fort. Seeing photos of black sand
beaches on pages laid out to look like a black sand beach, and photos of
Volcanos National Park with my journaled impressions of the experience
influenced another couple in their decision to go to Hawaii.

I scrapbook photos of my balcony garden every year, including the tags from
plants or the labels from seeds. That allows me to go back year after year
and either duplicate what I did before or try something new. I've
scrapbooked cross stitch projects, with the pattern in a sleeve on one page
and the photos of the front, back, and details on the opposite one. Since
I give away most of what I stitch, it's the only way I can keep records of
what I've done.

Not trying to make anyone a scrapbook convert, just trying to explain that
it's more than just cutting out faces and slapping them on some pretty
paper. It's yet another creative outlet for me.

Old March 27th 04, 08:02 PM
Karen C - California

In article , Cheryl Isaak
writes:

I'm with Cheryl -- I don't "get" the current scrapbooking trend.

Oh thank goodness - I have wondered if I was the only person not into it.

According to my source (a scrapping supplies dealer), it's the new incarnation
of the coffee klatsch. Today's women can't sit and do nothing, so they sit and
scrap, so they feel productive while they yak. She holds regular "crops" both
at her house and at her church.

Of course, this is the Martha-ization of our old-fashioned photo albums. Just
gluing photos to black paper isn't good enough any more when you can do it more
artistically (and more expensively). Problem is -- and my source admits it --
since you now have to cut and arrange and carefully re-write just the right
words till you get them error-free, it's no longer just taking a few minutes
when a film comes back from Fotomat to glue them in an album, but hours of
searching for just the right background paper and right stickers, so people are
getting even *further* behind in getting their photos in the album. (A venture
I gave up 20 years ago, when I realized how much room the albums took up versus
just keeping the photos in shoeboxes. In a 400-square-foot apartment, an extra
cubic foot here and there adds up real fast.)

Buuuuuuttttt, it's an easy foot in the door to crafting. Once they've tried
scrapping, they may be more adventurous to trying other forms of
self-expression. And that (bwahahaha) is when I pounce on them, with the
thought of creating *useful* heirlooms, like blankies and dresses and sweaters.

Old March 27th 04, 08:20 PM
Seanette Blaylock

Cheryl Isaak had some very interesting
things to say about Scrapbooking WAS Meet Matilda Mallstomper:

I'm with Cheryl -- I don't "get" the current scrapbooking trend.

Oh thank goodness - I have wondered if I was the only person not into it.
And stamping for that matter.

Not my thing either [although rubber stampers use stuff that also
works nicely on polymer clay :-)].

--
"Don't mess with major appliances unless you know what you are doing
(or unless your life insurance policy is up-to-date)." - John, RCFL
Old March 27th 04, 09:35 PM
lula

K, you gave a wonderful explanation of scrapbooking!

Most of us have a drawer or box filled with old photos and other odds
and ends of our lives waiting for something to be done, so it's a great
idea to layout these pieces creatively in an album.

Scrapbooking has its roots back to the 18th century. Women have been
keeping journal scrapbooks and albums through the ages, illustrated
with watercolor and bits of whatever could be saved of their daily
lives.

I'm attracted to "scrapbooking" but not in the memory sense of family
trees......my interests are similar to your vacation and garden
scrapbooks.
This is a wonderful craft and trend that looks to be staying popular for
a long while yet as more and more people are drawn to it.

Artist's scrapbook albums and journals are fascinating to look through.
A few of these beautiful watercolor journal / sketchbooks have been
published in the last few years.

I've been a journal keeper for most of my life......keeping journals on
the many aspects of my life, such as the various art & design
disciplines I work on.........as I posted earlier, wish I had kept a
"scrapbook" of my life through the years but never thought to
"illustrate" them.
I've only recently started to draw simple little sketches in my design
journals.......nothing "fancy" at least not yet.......
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

K K wrote:

[...]

Carla & Margie..RCB meet up next month?? ~Candace~ Beads 3 November 24th 04 04:31 PM
NO RCB Meet Today :( ~Candace~ Beads 9 August 18th 04 09:54 PM
OT Story: How to meet your best friend starlia Beads 2 May 13th 04 01:21 AM