New project

Old July 13th 04, 04:40 AM
Slinky

Default New project

I mentioned in my last post that I'm probably going to be passing on
the Aran sweater. This gives me the kick int he pants I need to
actually START KNITTING the Russian Prime sweater from Meg's book.

So tonight I checked my swatch for the last time to be sure of my
gauge, rooted through my Mon Tricot dictionaries for a good welt
stitch, and cast on.

I've already tinked half-rows several times to correct mistakes. I'm
using what MT calls "Farrow Rib", which is just (K2, p1) both ways.
I've done "k2, p2" more than once, necessitating tinking to correct
the error.

Gawds, I hope this isn't a foreshadowing of the rest of the sweater.
I may have a cold winter if it is...
Old July 13th 04, 05:05 AM
internetchick

"Slinky" wrote in message
I mentioned in my last post that I'm probably going to be passing on
the Aran sweater. This gives me the kick int he pants I need to
actually START KNITTING the Russian Prime sweater from Meg's book.

So tonight I checked my swatch for the last time to be sure of my
gauge, rooted through my Mon Tricot dictionaries for a good welt
stitch, and cast on.

I've already tinked half-rows several times to correct mistakes. I'm
using what MT calls "Farrow Rib", which is just (K2, p1) both ways.
I've done "k2, p2" more than once, necessitating tinking to correct
the error.

Gawds, I hope this isn't a foreshadowing of the rest of the sweater.
I may have a cold winter if it is...

I've never heard of Farrow Rib, sounds nice though. Is there a difference in
feel? Can't wait to see pics when you're done, sounds like a lovely sweater.

Old July 13th 04, 05:17 AM
Katherine

Slinky wrote:
I mentioned in my last post that I'm probably going to be passing on
the Aran sweater. This gives me the kick int he pants I need to
actually START KNITTING the Russian Prime sweater from Meg's book.

So tonight I checked my swatch for the last time to be sure of my
gauge, rooted through my Mon Tricot dictionaries for a good welt
stitch, and cast on.

I've already tinked half-rows several times to correct mistakes. I'm
using what MT calls "Farrow Rib", which is just (K2, p1) both ways.
I've done "k2, p2" more than once, necessitating tinking to correct
the error.

Gawds, I hope this isn't a foreshadowing of the rest of the sweater.
I may have a cold winter if it is...

LOL
Farrow rib, eh? Is that just for the bands?

Katherine

Old July 13th 04, 03:51 PM
JudyTurpin

I'm
using what MT calls "Farrow Rib", which is just (K2, p1) both ways. BRBR

My celtic cardigan used that - I did find that I would do the same (switch to
K2P2) when I was distracted but seemed to sense it and look after one or two
repeats so there wasn't too much tinking involved.
The pattern on the yoke of that sweater required really keeping my eye on the
work, though, and made me alter my usual knit while "watching" TV behavior.
JCT
Old July 14th 04, 07:27 PM
Slinky

Ok, so maybe having grand jury duty isn't all that bad. Monday night
I cast on the first welt. Yesterday I finished that one welt during
jury duty, then cast on the other and knitted 6 or so rows on it.

Too bad the colorwork pattern requires just that much of my attention,
or I'd be able to keep working on this project while I'm at the
courthouse. I guess I'll revert to socks and hats as my portable
projects once I have the welts finished and start the body
Old July 14th 04, 09:34 PM
Els van Dam

In article , Slinky
wrote:

Ok, so maybe having grand jury duty isn't all that bad. Monday night
I cast on the first welt. Yesterday I finished that one welt during
jury duty, then cast on the other and knitted 6 or so rows on it.

Too bad the colorwork pattern requires just that much of my attention,
or I'd be able to keep working on this project while I'm at the
courthouse. I guess I'll revert to socks and hats as my portable
projects once I have the welts finished and start the body

Slinky are you in the courtroom, listening to the evidence or are you
waiting to be picked for a jury. I was wondering if they would let you
knit during a courtcase.

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old July 14th 04, 09:53 PM
Slinky

Hi Els.

Texas (and probably most states, though I only have experience here
and in Illinois) have two separate jury systems.

Grand jury panels listen to evidence presented by the State's
Attorney, and sometimes the County Attorney, and decide if there is
cause to indict an individual for trial. If the grand jury returns an
indictment the state or county may or may not prosecute the case in
circuit or county court. An indictment is often used as a bargaining
point by the prosecutor to negotiate a plea agreement, thus keeping
low-level cases out of the courtroom.

One of the other jurors thought that my knitting would be a
distraction (for her, and for me). So we changed seats and she can't
see me now, and as I ask more questions than anyone else on the panel
I think she's convinced that I'm paying attention.

Petit (pronounced pet-it) jury actually hears the case and issues a
verdict.

If I was sitting on a petit jury I probably wouldn't be knitting, for
various reasons. The petit jury selection system here (Texas, and
particularly my county) is something of a joke. The county sends out
summonses to several hundred people at once, commanding them all to
appear at a given time. Once everyone is accounted for we're divided
into groups based on seat assignment. Each group is given a list of
upcoming trials for which they can be a jury pool member. There is a
wide variety to make it easy for everyone summonsed to find a trial
that will fit into their schedule.

So, you show up to your jury pool assignment and go through vor dire
(pronounced "for deer", and I probably spelled it wrong). That's the
process by which both the prosecution, and more likely the defense,
weed out jury candidates they feel won't be impartial for whatever
reason.

Then the trial starts, and most juries are too busy taking notes to do
anything else. Plus, most trial court judges are somewhat dictatorial
and feel that if you're doing *anything* else you aren't giving the
matter the attention it deserves.

Fortunately for me, serving on Grand Jury lets me off the hook for
petit jury for something like three years...

And just for a chuckle, the name of the judge whose grand jury I'm on
is "Judge Lynch". Which is think is a perfect moniker for a circuit
court judge

Old July 15th 04, 03:13 AM
Texasxsgal1

The petit jury selection system here (Texas, and
particularly my county) is something of a joke. The county sends out
summonses to several hundred people at once, commanding them all to
appear at a given time. Once everyone is accounted for we're divided
into groups based on seat assignment. Each group is given a list of upcoming

trials for which they can be a jury pool member. There is a
wide variety to make it easy for everyone summonsed to find a trial
that will fit into their schedule.

slinky
You're in Travis Cty,(austin) right? Here in Bexar (pronounced Bear) -San
Antonio-
we get summoned like you doo bu the hundreds. we all show up at the Central
Jury room, where the judge in charge of the hury roomthat month comes in and
explains the process and the exceptions, those who think they qualify can go
talk to the judge. The each of the courtrooms send the jury room a list when
they need a jury. the computerpicks out a random bunch of jurors(24?? 36??
something like that) and the panel troops over to the courtroom, where upon the
lawyers often settle, then you go back to the central jury room
About 3 pm those wwho hae not been chosen are dismissed. I have bbeen
called several times but never chosen.

of course now if i get hosen, I will call early to ask for a sign language
interpreter. I used to raise my ;hand eerytime the judge made and
annnouncement and ask him/her to repeat it . this wasn't a ploy--I
couldn't hear
kathy
san antonio
Old July 15th 04, 03:22 AM
Slinky

On 15 Jul 2004 02:13:24 GMT, (Texasxsgal1) wrote:

[...]

I think petit jury selection works pretty much the same all over, its
just the details that change. Cattle call, separate the cattle, weed
out the slackers, dimwits and malcontents. /tongue-in-cheek

The first time I was called for petit jury here in Travis County I was
7 months pregnant and on bedrest. I called the clerk of the court
issuing the summons to ask if I had to send a proxy to cattle call
with a notarized statement from my physician - and I got a by for four
years. When my boy was four I received a summons and actually went
through vor dire. Apparently I'm too controversial (ie, I have
opinions) so I was thanked and sent home.

GJ is actually pretty interesting despite the seeming repetitive
nature of the cases brought to us for indictment. Drug posession, DUI
and various theft/burglary are the predominant themes...

Old July 15th 04, 03:37 AM
Els van Dam

In article , Slinky
wrote:

[...]

Slinky thanks for this indepth explanation. Interesting the changing of
seats, and the name of the Judge demands a new funny sitcome to go with
it....LOL

--
hate spam not welcome

more info on ultimate scrap project Susan Laity Price Quilting 4 July 8th 04 02:28 AM
Project planning Bungadora Beads 25 March 30th 04 08:12 AM
Limited Edition Needlepoint Project Available to Groups Napa Needlepoint Marketplace 0 December 16th 03 10:18 PM
My "New Wardrobe" Project Kari Yarn 0 October 1st 03 10:27 PM