Finally, a quilty weekend!

Old September 4th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Default Finally, a quilty weekend!

I have two quilts pinned, a large one for a nephew and a lap quilt for a
friend. Since I want to learn about McTavishing, I started with the smaller
quilt. I guess I was a little afraid of trying the big quilt on my 301
first.

McTavishing is fun! I had a ball with the practice piece, and went right to
work on the lap quilt. Got four large squares done in a freehand Victorian
feather and then ****ran out of thread!**** None available at Joann's and
all the nearby stores that carry quilting thread were closed for Labor Day.
Bummer!

Found the thread I am using online, and ordered 4 spools. I will never
again underestimate how much thread I will need!

BTW, I understand that old thread is not good to use. Does anyone here have
a ballpark idea of "How old is too old?" A couple of years old? Ten?
Twenty? Just curious. I have quite a few old spools of thread, some dating
back to the 1970s when I made a lot of clothing. If the thread is not
useable for quilts, is there another good use?

I went to Joann's several times this past weekend, and it was a total mash.
I went to work for a few hours very early on Saturday, left work at 9:15,
arrived at Joanne's about 8 minutes (five miles) later, found my fabric
right away, then stood in line at the cutting table for half an hour for my
one cut of fabric and again at the register for another half hour. Got
home, two blocks away, a little after 10:30. I was pretty testy. I must
say, though, that the good folks at Joann's never lost their tempers with
difficult customers (and there were quite a few!) and were friendly and
good-natured every time I went in. We may love to hate Joann's, but I must
say that our local store has friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating staff
who aren't afraid to steer me to a more or less expensive item more suitable
for my project, pull a coupon from under the table to save me money, or
refer me to another store for whatever I need. For those of us on limited
budgets, Joann's is very useful.

Hope you all had a grand weekend, and I also hope we get all our projects
done in time for Christmas!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old September 5th 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 07:28:06 -0500, Carolyn McCarty wrote
(in article ):

BTW, I understand that old thread is not good to use. Does anyone here have
a ballpark idea of "How old is too old?" A couple of years old? Ten?
Twenty? Just curious. I have quite a few old spools of thread, some dating
back to the 1970s when I made a lot of clothing. If the thread is not
useable for quilts, is there another good use?

I'd say once it starts to get "brittle" and "dry", it's no longer good.
Might kind of depend on the thread. I have some spools that are at least 10
years old and still okay. If you can't use the old thread for quilting, you
could use it for basting for hand quilting. Though I admit, I prefer to pin
baste whether I'm hand or machine quilting.

Hope you all had a grand weekend, and I also hope we get all our projects
done in time for Christmas!

I'm just aiming to get my quilts done for the guild's show in March. Though
I do have a couple of Xmas projects too.

Maureen

Old September 5th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens

I just read the newsletter from Superior thread, and it was stated that
thread should be good for around 20 years IF STORED CORRECTLY! Storage
suggestions were away from light and dust. Wall racks are OK if the thread
is covered.

--
Susan in Kingston ON
back to quilting, as usual

Old September 6th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Wow, that's good news, Susan! Thanks so much!

--

"Susan Torrens" wrote in message
[...]

My quilty weekend Debbi in SO CA Quilting 4 February 13th 07 08:01 PM
OT Quilty weekend Sewingsue Quilting 4 June 21st 05 08:39 PM
Quilty weekend Maureen Wozniak Quilting 7 April 6th 05 07:42 PM
Great quilty weekend! (LONG) Maureen Wozniak Quilting 8 January 24th 05 01:49 PM
Quilty weekend Maureen Wozniak Quilting 2 September 28th 04 01:55 PM