binding question

Old September 4th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise[_2_]

Default binding question

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 23:53:59 -0000, wrote:

Do you pin down your binding when you quilt by hand? I always have,
every few inches, and just pull the stick pins (the ones that haven't
yet stuck me in the knee, the elbow, or the thumb) out as I go. But
I'm wondering if that's silly and I can just give the binding a little
tug to the back as I stitch along. What do you all do?

I use 4or 5 pins, and just pin a bit ahead of where I'm sewing. For
some reason, that seems to make the job go faster because I can see my
progress when I get to a pin.

Louise
Old September 4th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 21:26:51 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

I enjoy using the little wooden springy clothespins. They won't stick you
and are just so darn cute. We all need a little cute in our lives. Polly

The old fashioned ones with the little ball on one end, or the spring
in the center ones?

I've got some vinyl covered wire clothes pins in bright colors. I
think they have a new use now.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 4th 07, 06:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

I'm a pinner -- about 4-6 pins ahead of where I'm at. But the "getting
stuck" is a pain... figuratively AND literally!

Maybe I should try the hair clamps!

--
Kate in MI

wrote in message
ups.com...
Do you pin down your binding when you quilt by hand? I always have,
every few inches, and just pull the stick pins (the ones that haven't
yet stuck me in the knee, the elbow, or the thumb) out as I go. But
I'm wondering if that's silly and I can just give the binding a little
tug to the back as I stitch along. What do you all do?

thanks, Lynn
(Don't know why I waited until August to bind an extra long queen
quilt...)

Old September 4th 07, 08:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I do all my corners *first: carefully fold, pin and sew.
Then, to do the rest, I pin a little way ahead of where I am, just so
that it doesn't get a chance to develop a twist.
I wonder if that's why I never get the 'five-cornered' quilt? because
I've done them all before I get fed up? g
..
In message . com,
writes
Do you pin down your binding when you quilt by hand? I always have,
every few inches, and just pull the stick pins (the ones that haven't
yet stuck me in the knee, the elbow, or the thumb) out as I go. But
I'm wondering if that's silly and I can just give the binding a little
tug to the back as I stitch along. What do you all do?

thanks, Lynn
(Don't know why I waited until August to bind an extra long queen
quilt...)

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 4th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Corners first. What a novel idea. I think I'll try that next time.
Thanks!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Patti" wrote in message
I do all my corners *first: carefully fold, pin and sew.
Then, to do the rest, I pin a little way ahead of where I am, just so that
it doesn't get a chance to develop a twist.
I wonder if that's why I never get the 'five-cornered' quilt? because
I've done them all before I get fed up? g
.
In message . com,
writes

Old September 4th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

That's me - novel gg
..
In message sxhDi.85159$Fc.64495@attbi_s21, KJ
writes

Old September 6th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH

I don't pin my binding anymore. Now I iron the binding flat from the
front, then flip the quilt and fold the binding over the back and iron
again. If I needed more help, I would use the little hairclip thingies.

Denise
http://community.webtv.net/DeniseJG/
My QI

Old September 6th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

On Sep 4, 4:38 pm, Patti wrote:
That's me - novel gg
.
In message sxhDi.85159$Fc.64495@attbi_s21, KJ
writes

Corners first. What a novel idea. I think I'll try that next time.
Thanks!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

I start by machine sewing the bias tape to the three layers on the
"front" side of the quilt. mitering the corners as i go. then fold
over and pin the bias to the "back"side of the quilt. i start the
sewing in the middle of a side that is not where the ends of the bias
meet, mitering the back sides of the corners as i go. it seems to work
out well this way and my front margins are straight.
amy

Binding Question Mitch Quilting 10 March 27th 07 02:11 AM
binding question - what is "facing" a binding?? Roberta Zollner Quilting 1 September 26th 06 10:25 PM
binding question - what is "facing" a binding?? Louise Quilting 1 September 26th 06 05:40 PM
binding question - what is "facing" a binding?? Patti Quilting 0 September 26th 06 02:23 PM
Binding question Lizzy Taylor Quilting 19 April 28th 04 09:10 PM