Quilting pattern transfer

Old September 3rd 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Default Quilting pattern transfer

Debra wrote:
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 18:38:19 -0700, MaleQuilter
wrote:

Can you use water soluable stabalizer for transfering quilting
patterns to the quilt?

Not that I know. I think the wet ink would dissolve the stabilizer.

If so, what type of marker do you use to avoid ink bleeding onto the
fabric?

Jerry in North Alabama

How about freezer paper? Write with any maker on the paper side, and
adhere the paper to the quilt top with your iron with the shiney side
facing the fabric. I haven't tried it myself for quilting so you
should test it first to see if it will tear away from the stitching
line without tearing the stitches.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Freezer paper is tough and could be hard to tear away. You could cut a
shape (for example, a heart) from freezer paper, press it on, and stitch
around it. I took a class once where we used freezer paper for
foundation piecing. I thought it was nasty stuff to remove, because it
doesn't tear very easily. (It's made that way -- after all it's designed
for wrapping food for the freezer, so that's a desirable characteristic)

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old September 3rd 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

wrote:

[...]

I use it for a stabilizer under the background for machine stitched
applique. It works great for that, and I've had no problems removing
it. The difference might be in the stitch length, which is why I
advised a test first.

I have far more trouble tearing plastic wrap.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 5th 07, 09:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
recarlos

Still catching up on the postings, but I have no idea what Press and Seal
is.
Is it another crossover product.. How does it work? I can't imagine
quilting with Gladwrap.
Ruth
Sydney.
Still limping and coughing.
"Lotsoflavender" wrote in message
Similar problem in Oz.......didn't know there was such a product until
this thread so had a quick look on the Woolworths and Coles online
shopping list and it's not listed......bah.....but have found a shop
online in Melbourne called USA Foods that appear to stock it. Would like
to give it a try.
I remember when freezer paper was first "discovered" by quilters, we
couldn't buy it in the supermarkets........still can't but at least we can
through the quilting shops, now. It took years before we even had
Gladwrap!

Wendy in Nsw

Press 'n Seal is wonderful!!

We haven't been able to get it here so have been 'importing' but last
week had a cake on a cake stall wrapped in it (with sticky side out). Now
have to track down the cake-maker and where she purchased the Press 'n
Seal!

It was just the same product but didn't have the logo on it.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old September 5th 07, 10:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lotsoflavender

Yes I had to go and look it up too, Ruth g

I remember when I was a kid, Dad use to get the "Saturday Evening Post" (US
publication) and the adverts of Gladwrap always facinated me....there'd be a
picture of a bowl of tinned apricots, covered in this unknown stuff called
Clingwrap or some name and the bowl would be turned upside down! That was
in the 50's. I thought it was just magic. We didn't get Clingwrap for
years after that over here in Oz.....probably be that way with Press-n-Seal
Wendy in Nsw

Old September 6th 07, 07:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 08:56:20 GMT, "recarlos"
wrote:

Still catching up on the postings, but I have no idea what Press and Seal
is.
Is it another crossover product.. How does it work? I can't imagine
quilting with Gladwrap.
Ruth

Think cling wrap with super Post-it-Note glue on one side. Marketed
for use with food, but I think quilters found a better use for it.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 6th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

not glue tho, Debra.
its more like suction in miniature with all those bubble things on it.
cuz those bubbles are so tiny and so close together when you press it
creates suction at each point.
i see now they've got a heavier freezer weight press'n'seal too.
heres a link to the two for info for those who havent tried it yet.
http://www.glad.com/plasticwrap/pressnseal.php
http://www.glad.com/plasticwrap/pressnseal_freezer.php
links there to the FAQs for all the info.
a link there to a page with 1000 uses.
who needs that many, eeeeek, sounds like housework again. how rude!!
hth,
jeanne

"Debra" wrote...

Old September 6th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Press and Seal Was Quilting pattern transfer

Thanks for link, Jeanne! At the site, go to 1000 uses,
then click on Arts and Crafts.
http://www.1000uses.com/search.php?page=4&location=21

So far I've found this:
Quilting Tip
Sherry H., Washington, OK (12/09/2006)
Draw a quilting pattern on a piece of Press'n Seal wrap. Overlay with antoher piece. Lay on top of quilt. Machine quilt through the wrap and the quilt. Remove the wrap.

I wonder if it is better to use the two pieces, as
suggested here, which would be thicker, but less likely
to mess up the design, or if one piece would be better
as it would be thinner application. Opinions?

PAT in VA/USA

Old September 7th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:09:18 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

Thanks for link, Jeanne! At the site, go to 1000 uses,
then click on Arts and Crafts.
http://www.1000uses.com/search.php?page=4&location=21

So far I've found this:
Quilting Tip
Sherry H., Washington, OK (12/09/2006)
Draw a quilting pattern on a piece of Press'n Seal wrap. Overlay with antoher piece. Lay on top of quilt. Machine quilt through the wrap and the quilt. Remove the wrap.

I wonder if it is better to use the two pieces, as
suggested here, which would be thicker, but less likely
to mess up the design, or if one piece would be better
as it would be thinner application. Opinions?

PAT in VA/USA

I've only tried it with one layer and Crayola washable markers. I
had to move my arms around a lot while drawing and quilting and some
colour was transferred to me. It washed off easily -!- but I think I
will try this 2-layer method next time.

-- Jo in Scotland

Old September 7th 07, 08:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

A word of caution, if you plan to use two layers (can't think why that
was suggested, though?). However - and this is going to sound *very*
odd - P.N.S has a tearing 'grain'. In one direction it tears easily
and cleanly, in the other it 'argues' a bit. If you were to use two and
the grain directions were not precisely the same, you would have to
remove the P.N.S layers separately. At least that is what I imagine.
I've only ever used one.
Since I discovered about the easy/harder directions, I whip off as much
as I can in the 'easy' direction first; and then go at the rest. I use
a tiny, sharp pair of scissors as my aid - a small nick to start you off
helps a lot. As the pieces get smaller, I use the hook part of a seam
ripper; and, finally tweezers for the last little bits. It is still
quicker, for me, than trying to mark the quilt - a stage I am allergic
to g
..
In message , Pat in Virginia
writes
Thanks for link, Jeanne! At the site, go to 1000 uses, then click on
Arts and Crafts. http://www.1000uses.com/search.php?page=4&location=21

So far I've found this:
Quilting Tip
Sherry H., Washington, OK (12/09/2006)
Draw a quilting pattern on a piece of Press'n Seal wrap. Overlay with
antoher piece. Lay on top of quilt. Machine quilt through the wrap and
the quilt. Remove the wrap.

I wonder if it is better to use the two pieces, as suggested here,
which would be thicker, but less likely to mess up the design, or if
one piece would be better as it would be thinner application. Opinions?

PAT in VA/USA

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 7th 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Hmmm -might have to try it! Although with the permanent markers, I haven't
really had any trouble with color transfer. Another thing to consider, the
P&S has a definite grain, tears better in one direction. So one might want
to make sure the pieces were in the same direction before layering so as not
to be driven nuts later.
Roberta in D

quilting pattern borduurtje Quilting 1 March 25th 06 01:27 AM
Transfer Coin / Token Impressions to Rubber Stamp Form... Could someone inform me as to how it might be possible to transfer the impression on a coin (actually, small brass arcade tokens) to a functional rubber stamp? I wish to do exactly this wi Dr. Sooz Rubberstamps 4 August 1st 05 03:17 AM
Transfer Coin / Token Impressions to Rubber Stamp Form... Couldsomeone inform me as to how it might be possible to transfer the impressionon a coin (actually, small brass arcade tokens) to a functional rubber stamp?I wish to do exactly this with Barbara Hass Rubberstamps 1 July 31st 05 09:13 PM
T-shirt transfer as a pattern? Linda Wright Needlework 7 September 11th 04 03:19 AM
pattern transfer Megan Vest Quilting 0 July 11th 03 04:42 AM