pattern question

Old September 1st 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Default pattern question

I like to wear "The Apron" when I have guests over for a meal because I
think it makes me look as though I went to a lot of bother preparing the
meal. I also make a point of letting them know that "I" made the apron.
Barbara in SC during the Summer and Florida in the Winter
"Boca Jan" wrote in message
I bought an apron - a pretty red bibbed one. I have it hanging on a hook

in
my kitchen and it looks great as a decoration! I do wear it on an

occassion
though. When cooking for my DH and I use the microwave a lot, and don't

make
saucey things. Very simple for us as we are watching our food intake and

fat
and sugar. However, when we have company I always put on my apron because

have to make a mess on my "better" clothes. Besides, it makes me feel

"chef
like".

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

"Sandy Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!

I seldom use patterns. Most of my quilts are "designed"
by inspiration, the fabric talks, or I see a quilt pic and think,
"this is how'd I'd make that."

An apron, with or without bib, was the first thing we had to
learn in 7th-grade home-ec class. Everyone I knew recv'd one of those,
right before I learned to crochet. G

"Reproduction" aprons are very much in style now.
Good luck!

R/Sandy --sometimes as apron isn't enough; I have to change clothes
after a stint in the kitchen 8-

On 8/31/07 11:59 AM, in article
,

"
wrote:

I was wondering how many quilters actually *need* patterns for most
things involving just blocks.. I found a lovely apron made of 5"
blocks among my grandmothers things and managed to figure it out
pretty easily. If I drew a picture of it on graph paper and posted
the picture, would most people be able to figure it out? Would anyone
actually be interested would be a better question. It looks pretty
easy.

Not that I expect to get around to this immediately but I thought it
would be a nice thing to share. Depending on what fabrics you chose,
it could be made into a lovely vintage looking thingy or a bright
festive holidaythingy, or just about any color combination
imaginable. After looking at it, I could also whack off the bib part
for just an around-the-waist apron.

Just looking for opinons right now. The sofa seems to be in need of
being held down right now. Maybe I can take my graph paper and
markers and work on something.

Tamra

Old September 1st 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Tamra:
I tend to use patterns as inspiration. I like to draft
my own versions. I like to eliminate some seam lines if
I can. So, yes, I think it would be fun to see your
design, and I do think I can figure out a reasonable
facsimile. Thank you very much.
PAT in VA

Old September 3rd 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 14:24:09 +0200, "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:

Most of us on rctq would probably be able to figure out how to put a block
together. Don't know about most other people. My preferred method for
piecing is to make a lot of blocks (often from scraps) with no thought of a
finished design, and just let it grow.
Roberta in D

A lot of different ones, or all the same?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 3rd 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Depends on what's there. My most favorite scrap block is a 4X4 variable star
made from HSTs. Easy to vary :-). The center 4 squares can be cut as one
piece. So can the corners, if I have scraps the right size. Could even do
the star points as flying geese. But my most frequent scrap piece seems to
be a triangle. Sew 2 together and trim down. 1.5" unfinished squares make a
4.5" star, 2" unfinished a 6.5" star. A whole lot of scrappy stars will work
together just fine if alternated with plain squares.
Roberta in D

Old September 5th 07, 01:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

wrote:

Most of us on rctq would probably be able to figure out how to put a block
together. Don't know about most other people. My preferred method for
piecing is to make a lot of blocks (often from scraps) with no thought of
finished design, and just let it grow.
Roberta in D

A lot of different ones, or all the same?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
http://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere- Hide quoted text -

hi, girls! i'm new to this thread, but love quilting. i've been
quilting since i was 14 and havent quit yet! (i'm 49 now!). i havent
sewn an apron in years. my grandmother made tons, so i still have
plenty of hers.
i, too, dont need many patterns, i have tons of books, but hardly use
them. my favorite "pattern diary" is usually using EQ4 or 5. such fun
to fill those winter nites.
i do have a question, tho...what does rctq stand for? maybe i'm just
dense!!
i did take a class at a local quilt shop using Paula Nadlestern's
Puzzle Quilts book. it was torture. what a struggle i had with that!
glad thats over! at least the quilttop came out nice!!
you all seem so nice on this thread! i hope i can learn loads from you
all!!

amy

Old September 5th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Welcome Amy!
It's good to see you hear. Pull up a chair a join in.
RCTQ stands for 'rec.craft.textiles.quilting'!
I was given Paula Nadelstern's Puzzle Quilts book by a dear friend. I'm
sorry you thought it was torture - I was actually looking forward to
working something out from it g
I might forget you said that - and have a go anyway!
..
In message om, amy
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 5th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy

Default Welcome Amy! was: pattern question

Amy, Welcome to the bestest quilting cyber-frame around! Let us know:
1. What's your favorite chocolate? I'm surprised our Queen-of-Chocolate
hasn't hit you up for some yet! BEG You can send it to me if you want!
2. Do you have any Q.I.s? (aka Quilt Inspectors - or pets)
3. What are you working on?
4. 'Bout where are you from? (I'm up heah in Maine-USA)
Pull up a chair and welcome to the group.
ME-Judy

ps.com...

Old September 5th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default Another welcomed newbie pattern question

Howdy!

Welcome, Amy.
Oh, you'll learn loads here,
maybe even some of it about quilting. ;-D

Ragmop/Sandy-- handquilting in sweltering n.Tx.

On 9/5/07 7:54 AM, in article
, "amy"

Old September 6th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

On Sep 5, 3:45 pm, Sandy Ellison wrote:
Howdy!

Welcome, Amy.
Oh, you'll learn loads here,
maybe even some of it about quilting. ;-D

Ragmop/Sandy-- handquilting in sweltering n.Tx.

On 9/5/07 7:54 AM, in article
m, "amy"

wrote:
[...]

amy- Hide quoted text -

i forgot....my favorite chocolate----- brown...LOL!!

Pattern Copyright Question Sandy Yarn 4 September 9th 06 08:59 PM
pattern question Kristine Quilici Yarn 7 April 21st 04 02:24 AM
Pattern question. Barb Yarn 9 April 15th 04 01:30 AM
Pattern Question lj Yarn 16 February 27th 04 11:10 PM
pattern question Natalie Quilting 4 January 1st 04 02:55 PM