Newcomer

Old August 29th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Elly

Default Newcomer

Hi everyone,
My name is Elly Dunbar and I live in Thurso on the far north coast of
Scotland. I am married with 2 children Kirsty (17) and Lewis (20).
He is in Devon working as a chef at the moment for a few weeks, but
otherwise for the moment lives at home. I keep eying up his bedroom
for a sewing room.
I've been quilting for well over 10 years now and belong to a small
house group called the Kross Kounty Quilters. (We thought we'd better
leave the Q for quilter)
We have an exhibition coming up shortly from 17th to 22nd Sept if
anyone happens to be on holiday up here. In the Swanson Gallery.
I'm currently working on quilt called the Rabbit Patch. I've got as
far as the borders and was waiting for some green fabric but when it
came it was the wrong shade. So back to the drawing board with that
one. I should just go search through my stash for something else. I
did have a FQ of thimbleberries so checked on the internet for the
same pattern not realizing there were two shades of green in the
pattern. I wanted the light and got the dark. May go with it yet.
Some other fabric is on it's way so I'll hang fire until it comes
before making a final decision. Just hope it hurrries up.
Well I suppose I'd better leave it there for the moment... look
forward to 'meeting' everyone.. Elly

Old August 29th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Hi, Elly, and a big warm welcome! We're always glad to meet and welcome new
quilters among us.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old August 29th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Eddie

Hi Elly

Nice to know there are other newbies such as I around the group. Although
you are a newbie to RCTQ I consider you a veritable expert to me. You having
been quilting for 10 years! :-))

I have done one quilt and and am on the way to another but was somewhat
dismayed to see the actual mast configuration of the new HMS Daring was
somewhat different to the artist impression I was working from. :-((
So it is back to the drawing board for me as well. ;-))

The ship should be carrying out sea trials around your area. I remember some
fearsome gales when I was serving in RN Ships in the North, especially
Pentland Firth. Lovely area though.

Newbie Eddie

ps.com...

Old August 29th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Great to see you, Elly.
See you have the same idea for a sewing room as quite a few people
hereabouts!
I got some lovely rabbit patterns at the Festival of Quilts show in
Birmingham. Some of them will have to have their ears re-modelled to
make them go downwards g
See you again!
..
In message om, Elly
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 29th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Elly wrote:
Hi everyone,
My name is Elly Dunbar and I live in Thurso on the far north coast of
Scotland. I am married with 2 children Kirsty (17) and Lewis (20).
He is in Devon working as a chef at the moment for a few weeks, but
otherwise for the moment lives at home. I keep eying up his bedroom
for a sewing room.

Thurso! I've been there... Had an uncle (well, I still have him!) who
used to live there and work at Dounray. You're a wee bit far north for
many good quilting shops! NOT that I'm any better off down here in
Kent... Thank God for the internet and broadband!

[...]

I'm still recovering from the summer sewing marathon, and have yet to
get back to quiilting... Sounds like you have a good group to play with
up there!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 29th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Eddie wrote:
Hi Elly

Nice to know there are other newbies such as I around the group. Although
you are a newbie to RCTQ I consider you a veritable expert to me. You having
been quilting for 10 years! :-))

I have done one quilt and and am on the way to another but was somewhat
dismayed to see the actual mast configuration of the new HMS Daring was
somewhat different to the artist impression I was working from. :-((
So it is back to the drawing board for me as well. ;-))

The ship should be carrying out sea trials around your area. I remember some
fearsome gales when I was serving in RN Ships in the North, especially
Pentland Firth. Lovely area though.

Newbie Eddie

People always think the sea is blue until they see it round that bit of
coast... Green as glass and cold as charity!

Old August 29th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Welcome Elly! Love to see a photo of the Rabbits, if you have a site to put
it on (I use Webshots). Good luck with the green, it's a difficult color to
get right! Maybe it's just me, but it seems like everything in the stores is
either too muddy or too Christmassy.
Roberta in D (near Munich)

Old August 29th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article om,
Elly wrote:

[...]

Welcome, Elly! I know how frustrating it can be to shop by mail/internet
and get the wrong stuff, since I used to do that all the time when I
lived in my previous location. Still, it's so much better to have these
resources than not! G

What sorts of quilts do you like to make? Do you have pictures posted
anywhere that we can see? We're a nosy bunch, so thanks for the
information you posted! Do you have any QIs (usually four-legged and
fuzzy)? What kind of chocolate do you like (and Pat in VA will probably
have you send her some G)?

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 29th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Aug 29, 1:55 pm, Sandy wrote:
In article om,

Elly wrote:
[...]

Welcome Indeed, from one of the Guy Quilters in the group. I traveled
by train around parts of Scotland when my wife and I were touristing
that area and enjoyed ourselves immensely. You will find some of the
nicest people on the internet inhabit this group. Although, the women
will try and talk you out of fabric and chocolate, but don't let them
do it. Give it all to me, and you will be forever loved.
(just like a man to say he loves you so soon after you meet)

John

Old August 29th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Elly

"Elly" schrieb im Newsbeitragnews:1188399765.496947.89150@50g2000hsm .googlegroups.com...

[...]

Thanks for the welcome Roberta, I'm trying to work out how to put my
photos on a web page so I'll let you know when I've sussed it out.
I do have pics of my rabbits on the Yahoo! UK Pet Rabbit web site but
I don't know if you'll be able to access it. If you can it's in my
album called 'Elly's Bunnies' If not I'll try get them some one more
accessible. One of these days I should try to make a web page for
myself or get someone to do it for me so I can put things on it. But
my PC knowledge isn't that clever. Elly

newcomer quilter Quilting 29 April 29th 05 02:44 AM
Suggestion for newcomer . . . Mary Irene Beads 3 August 14th 04 08:37 AM
Newcomer de-lurking. Heather Hill Beads 16 September 26th 03 06:14 AM
posting FAQ; Newcomer welcome Penny S. Sewing 0 August 11th 03 07:36 PM
posting FAQ; Newcomer welcome Penny S. Sewing 0 July 7th 03 09:29 PM