machine buttonhole applique tips?

Old September 6th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default machine buttonhole applique tips?

....and Jan reminded me I can mirror stitches too. I took the class but
forgot all the neat stuff that can be done. I think I have a stitch
that works for this project. I am using the right foot but which is
'the different foot' that you would suggest for the stems?

I may need to dash out for some pink pumps later today so I can really
sew properly : )

TAria

Polly Esther wrote:
While you Janome ladies are testing stitches, do keep in mind that you can
adjust the width of the bite, the length of the stitch, the needle position
and which foot works best. The foot that is just wide open at the front is
usually the best choice for seeing what you're doing. For a long and fairly
uncomplicated journey, such as a stem on a border, a different foot will do
better at preventing a ripple from forming. Polly

Old September 6th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I'm not Polly, but... I think she was talking about the "open toe" satin
stitch foot, which is wide open in front of the needle, with two small
toes on either side; it is the F2 foot for my Elna. I also have a
"regular" satin stitch foot (the F foot); it has bigger toes and is
closed in front of the needle, except for a narrow slot that is directly
in front of the needle when it is in the center position. I suspect that
is the one Polly meant to use for stems, etc. It is grooved underneath
to allow for the thickness of the satin stitch, unlike the standard
metal foot (the A foot). I just noticed that Elna also has an "applique"
foot; I might have to go in and see if there any advantages to that one.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old September 7th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I have the F2 foot. The F has a center mark arrow that is handy but the
open toes of the F2 leaves a lot more visibility. I think either will
do fine.
Anyone have an opinion of using black thread or matching color thread
for the stitching?

Thanks for all the help so far. YOu guys are the best.
TAria

Old September 7th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Taria:
Blanket stitch appliqué is soooo FUN! I generally
choose the thread to suit the style. Black was classic
on the 30s Sues for example. So, if I want a 1930s or a
folk look, I will go with a dark thread. There USED to
be a thread called Cotty, that was a bit thicker and
coarser, and was terrific for that style. It has been
discontinued, but I think there are others out there.

If I just want to highlight the appliqué, I will use a
matching color thread. That is how I did the lettering
on the VTCC quilt I made recently. Maroon thread,
maroon letters, orange base fabric. In fact, you might
want to use the matching color while you gain
experience. BTW, Pfilomina Pfaff likes me to use a wide
open appliqué for blanket stitch appliqué work.

PAT in VA/USA

Old September 8th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Thanks Pat. YOu know at some point I'm going to have to sit down and
start sewing. I have been fussing and putting off. I guess I should
just jump in. LOL
Thanks, Taria