Kiln Coil repair

Old May 17th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Kiln Coil repair

What about wrapping copper wire around each end of the broken coils, and
then twisting together? How will this hold up up to 2000 degrees I wonder?

--

JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com

Old May 17th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Glassman" wrote in message
news

What about wrapping copper wire around each end of the broken coils,
and
then twisting together? How will this hold up up to 2000 degrees I wonder?

Why?
Why re-invent the wheel? You have the ends of two pieces of NI CHrom
resistance wire, just put them together with something that is of high
resistance, stainless steel, a machine screw and nut will work, and have at
it, then get on the phone and call for a replacement element, about $30,
(less than the cost of repairing one of those junk Chinese lamps) and fix
the darn thing right and be done with it.

In the time you have posted about how to fix it, in every way different than
those suggested to you, you could have had it repaired and the element at
your door, waiting for you to put it in.

Old May 17th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Glassman" wrote in message
news

What about wrapping copper wire around each end of the broken coils,
and
then twisting together? How will this hold up up to 2000 degrees I wonder?

Ehhhh?

Why don't you just buy a new kiln from our world-famous international
distributor and lecturer? I'm sure he'd cut you a great deal and maybe even
give you a lesson on kiln forming and use of a WBS.

Let us know how that works out?

Old May 18th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Glassman wrote:
What about wrapping copper wire around each end of the broken coils, and
then twisting together? How will this hold up up to 2000 degrees I wonder?

Wonder no more. Copper will not withstand those temps.

--
Jack

bobo1148atxmissiondotcom

http://www.glassartguild.com/gallery/jack_bowman
Old May 18th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Javahut" wrote in message

"Glassman" wrote in message
news

[...]

That was testy Java. I don't fire everyday like you do, and am not in a
hurry to get this one fixed. The kiln is too old and creaky for me to risk
taking the coil out of all the cracked brick unless I absolutely have to.
Just friendly chatter is what this one is all about.

Old May 18th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Moonraker" wrote in message
. ..

"Glassman" wrote in message
news

What about wrapping copper wire around each end of the broken coils,

and
then twisting together? How will this hold up up to 2000 degrees I

wonder?

Ehhhh?

Why don't you just buy a new kiln from our world-famous international
distributor and lecturer? I'm sure he'd cut you a great deal and maybe

even
give you a lesson on kiln forming and use of a WBS.

Let us know how that works out?

Still waiting for my 900 degree Weller tip. Mail from Canada must be
slow?

Old May 18th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Glassman" wrote in message

"Javahut" wrote in message

"Glassman" wrote in message
news

[...]

Ahhh don't be so thin skinned, wasn't meant personal. you just keep trying
to find ways that are different than what has been suggested and you are
going backwards.
Old creaky kilns are what I specialize in. I rebuild them and re-sell them.
It's not rocket science. If you use some caution the element will come out
pretty easy, and usually in pieces. When its been fired, it likes to break
due to brittle. So what? Your throwing it out. put the new element in,
use a good vacuum on the groove so no debris gets in your glass, and you are
good to go... IF the brick is cracked that bad, fix that too, business is
slow, what else do you have to do? Work some overtime, let people see you
there after hours and they will think your making so much money you don't
know where to spend it all!!
And my chatter is as friendly as anyone else's, thru the net you can't see
the look on my face. The previous post my face had a look of exasperation!

Old May 18th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Glassman" wrote in message

Still waiting for my 900 degree Weller tip. Mail from Canada must be
slow?

More of that old saying, "money talks and bull**** walks", eh?

If "I" were a retailer/wholesaler and had real honest-to-goodness items on
the shelf, I'd be wanting to sell them.

But in the case of your Canadian friend, he lives in a fantasy land where
the shelves are stocked with mythical products. He has been real quiet for
a few days now. Maybe the Thorazine has finally kicked in?

Old May 19th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

OK Java this could be the last post to this thread.... I found a few old
spools of silver colored wire. How to tell if it's stainless steel or not?