Glass Price Increases????

Old May 11th 04, 03:36 PM
Moonraker

Default Glass Price Increases????

I was doing an onsite repair the other day and found that I needed a piece
of Spectrum W100 that was bigger than what I had with me at the time. So I
went to a local SG retail shop for what I needed.

This particular store sells glass by the pound, not by the square
foot....anyway, the price of clear water glass was almost $6.00/lb. Seemed
awfully high, and when I inquired, the "blame" got put on higher engergy
prices and manufacturer's price increases.

So, what WERE the increases from the mfg's, percentage wise?

Or was I being hoo-dooed?

Old May 11th 04, 10:18 PM
Dennis Brady

You guessed best last.
Old May 12th 04, 08:42 PM
Andy

I don't think you were being "hoo-dooed". I've seen Waterglass
retailed for anywhere's from $6 a sq. ft to $9 or more, depending on
where you are. Besides, you paid retail so you're going to pay more
than wholesale. And, with a wholesale price of around $3 a foot it
sounds like you paid a fair retail price. However, part of the higher
costs CAN be put on the energy situation. My freight costs are about
25% higher than they were last year. My utilities cost more, my
insurance has gone up, employee wages have gone up, yada, yada. so who
pays for all this?...The customer as in every business.

Andy

Old May 12th 04, 10:31 PM
Javahut

"Andy" wrote in message
om...
I don't think you were being "hoo-dooed". I've seen Waterglass
retailed for anywhere's from $6 a sq. ft to $9 or more, depending on
where you are. Besides, you paid retail so you're going to pay more
than wholesale. And, with a wholesale price of around $3 a foot it
sounds like you paid a fair retail price. However, part of the higher
costs CAN be put on the energy situation. My freight costs are about
25% higher than they were last year. My utilities cost more, my
insurance has gone up, employee wages have gone up, yada, yada. so who
pays for all this?...The customer as in every business.

Andy

Probably wouldn't cost so much if you didn't post in triplicate! ya think?
:-)

Old May 13th 04, 05:12 AM
jk

"Moonraker" wrote in message
news
I was doing an onsite repair the other day and found that I needed a piece
of Spectrum W100 that was bigger than what I had with me at the time. So

went to a local SG retail shop for what I needed.

This particular store sells glass by the pound, not by the square
foot....anyway, the price of clear water glass was almost $6.00/lb.

Seemed
awfully high, and when I inquired, the "blame" got put on higher engergy
prices and manufacturer's price increases.

So, what WERE the increases from the mfg's, percentage wise?

Or was I being hoo-dooed?

You paid a fair price. I get $6 a sq. Everything is going up that's in
anyway related to fuel... which is near everything. Damn it cost me $45 to
fill up my van with gas! Expect a huge price hike again.

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios

Old May 13th 04, 02:04 PM
Moonraker

"jk" wrote in message
. net...

You paid a fair price. I get $6 a sq. Everything is going up that's in
anyway related to fuel... which is near everything. Damn it cost me $45

fill up my van with gas! Expect a huge price hike again.

There's a bit of difference between $6/lb and $6/ft sq.

I have a work van with a 33 gal tank. It usually takes almost two tanks a
week.....my gasoline bill , including what I use in my other vehicle, runs
close to $175 per week.

I'm beginning to think I can't stand prosperity like this....

Old May 13th 04, 04:22 PM
jk

"Moonraker" wrote in message

"jk" wrote in message
. net...

You paid a fair price. I get $6 a sq. Everything is going up that's in
anyway related to fuel... which is near everything. Damn it cost me $45

fill up my van with gas! Expect a huge price hike again.

There's a bit of difference between $6/lb and $6/ft sq.

What's the difference, like 10%? I think 1 sq = 1.1 lbs or something like
that.

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios
www.sinrodstudios.com
Coney Island Memories
www.sinrodstudios.com/coneymemories

AD: ongoing glass classes - Craft Students League NYC Craft Students League Glass 0 February 26th 04 08:54 PM
For those who want to know.. Making Beach Glass With Your Tumbler! Harry Beads 7 December 22nd 03 08:19 PM
Victorian Opalescent Glass Price Guide now available on CD Glass 0 October 21st 03 02:55 AM
Old glass receipts Matthew Spong Glass 0 July 4th 03 01:06 PM
Ad: Furnace Glass at a great price! Paula Hunter Beads 3 July 3rd 03 04:33 PM