Lead laws

Old May 27th 04, 09:51 PM
Moonraker

"searobin8356" wrote in message
. ..
You done good. You sought several experts' advice and are exploring your
options. You're learning where the risks lie and are taking steps to

manage
them. You don't have specific physiological symptoms and that is also

good.
You know you were at around 17 micrograms per deciliter 18 months ago.

Actually, it was 16 taken on 12/5/2002. On 12/22 of that year, I tore my
right rotator cuff and was not active in SG work until nearly labor day of
2003. So, from 9/03 to 5/04 it increased from16 to 54. Big jump in a short
time, eh?

(The mean was 20.7 for pros and 11.6 for hobbyists and 11.3 for the
hobbyists' families in one small study of stained glass workers.)

Please point me to that study? Do you suppose they did any pet serum
levels? The dogs are always wandering around in the shop, maybe I gotta
deal with them, too.

You
didn't maintain this elevated level for many years and that's good too.
You sound very capable of weighing the advice you get and following

through
with a course of action that is best suited to your situation.

Old May 28th 04, 03:36 PM
searobin8356

"Moonraker" wrote in message
"searobin8356" wrote in message

Actually, it was 16 taken on 12/5/2002. On 12/22 of that year, I tore my
right rotator cuff and was not active in SG work until nearly labor day of
2003. So, from 9/03 to 5/04 it increased from16 to 54. Big jump in a

short
time, eh?

Now that certainly makes one think about testing frequency. I'd bet
thoughts of where, when, and what have not been far from your thoughts.
Kinda scary it happened so quickly.

(The mean was 20.7 for pros and 11.6 for hobbyists and 11.3 for the
hobbyists' families in one small study of stained glass workers.)

Please point me to that study? Do you suppose they did any pet serum
levels? The dogs are always wandering around in the shop, maybe I gotta
deal with them, too.

Like I said, this was a very small study:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?O14623B68

Geez, yep you may need to deal with the dogs, too. Have you noticed any
change in behavior in them? Increased aggression/or nervousness?

I'll include a few more sites here as sources of info with the caveat that
your MD is best suited to putting such into perspective. Reading abstracts
of studies (there are often memberships/fees required to read entire
reports) doesn't always give one an accurate picture of how the study was
done or the conclusions were made.

Most everything is available in some form at
http://medlineplus.gov/
Environmental health is here
http://www.niehs.nih.gov/

This site primarily links patients who want tovolunteer to participate in
current research studies and it is run by the NIH
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gui/action/GetStudy
"lead poisoning" in the search box will get you studies currently under
recruitment, check the box "Include trials that are no longer recruiting
patients" afterwards to see studies completed or in progress.

Old June 1st 04, 06:34 PM
Quasin

A friend who took a hazardous materials course said he was taught lead
levels are lowered by taking extra vitamin C and calcium. I.e. that
for adults (who are not forming bone and brain at the rate kids are),
a bit of extra lead exposure, such as in soldering, is easily
compensated for by a bit of nutrition.

He said the dangers are "red lead" (which is hotter than our soldering
irons can get) and "white lead" (which is the powder on old came).

From these, too, the teacher said, adults can recover nicely if
caught on time (before you show symptoms), and a lot of C and calcium
should do the job; but protection is important when working with red
lead or or white lead.

Since neither C nor calcium are harmful in (reasonable) high dosages,
why not try some between doctor visits? Can't hurt, might help. Your
doctor's monitoring will show if it's helping.

the CDC's branch that specializes in lead abatement and lead
poisoning. He told me that their studies indicate mere handling of "new"
lead came wasn't a significant risk.

The most danger to SG workers comes from handling old lead in repairs and
restoration work. (BINGO!!!)

According to the CDC doc. the most dangerous aspect is the white "bloom"
that builds up on weathered panels, a lead oxide.

Old June 1st 04, 07:13 PM
db

"Quasin" wrote in message

clip

He said the dangers are "red lead" (which is hotter than our soldering
irons can get) and "white lead" (which is the powder on old came).

'red lead' is reddish lead oxide that has historically been used for paint
pigments and a putty components.

Old June 1st 04, 11:46 PM
vic

red and white lead are driers. Both have been used in glazing putty.
That is why taking apart old windows requires dust masks or underwater
disassembly.
Old June 2nd 04, 01:44 AM
Bart V

lowered by taking ~ ~ calcium
I knew that 50 lbs bag of whiting would come in handy some day

-
Check my most up to date email address at:
www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
www.haruteq.com

**may your moments of need be met by moments of compassion**

Old June 2nd 04, 02:00 PM

Sorry, but there are some big inaccuracies in this post.

I come from the UK electronics manufacturing area - we know that
European legislation will demand lead-free electronics (including
solder) in Europe summer 2006. Not many companies here are in
lead-free production yet, but will be starting quite soon. Nearly
everyone is evaluating lead-free solders right now; there is frantic
activity. Penalties include 2 years jail, product bans and unlimited
fines - see WEEE and RoSH legislation.

Japanese companies already have some significant lead-free production,
including lead-free solders, mostly consumer products I believe. A
recent presentation by Senju at the SMART Group 6th Annual Lead-Free
Seminar showed the Japanese timetables; for example, Sony, Hitachi and
Canon will be lead-free in all their factories (globally) by now.
Matsu****a (Panasonic), Fujitsu, and JVC already are, apparently. So
there are certainly viable lead-free solders readily available.

The USA will inevitably follow, in my opinion. Not necessarily because
of legislation (I know of no federal legislation tabled on lead-free
electronics), but because of market pressures. The Japanese move to
lead-free seems market driven because, whilst they have some recycling
laws, they only suggests a lead-free timetable, not mandate one.
Therefore the driver is getting your product on the shelves with a
"lead-free" logo on it, letting the consumer believe you are more
environmentally friendly.

And yes, we all pretty much know that banning lead from electronics
assembly will do more environmental harm than good; the discussion is
a long and involved one, well laid out elsewhere. I am not an expert,
but some of the highlights I have come across:

1) There is no evidence of lead leaching out from electronic waste
(like pcb assemblies) into the water table. Putting stuff into dumps
and ground fill is not good, ultimately, but the fact that the solder
contains lead is not relevant.

2) Substitute solder alloys contain silver - inert in itself, but
scientists now suspect that lower doses of silver compounds over
longer periods of time may have subtle but worrisome effects on fish
and other aquatic organisms, affecting the reproductive system in
sensitive species. Researchers are investigating the effects of
chronic silver exposure on aquatic life.

3) Lead will be replaced by other metals which are far more
environmentallydamaging to mine and extract than lead.

4) More energy (higher temperatures) will be used to make solder
joints - more pollution & global warming. Someone did the math on
this.

It appears the better solution would not be to ban lead-bearing
solders, but tighten up recycling and product take-back legislation.

Peter

On Sat, 22 May 2004 20:33:40 GMT, Bromo
wrote:

On 5/22/04 3:05 PM, in article
, "Dennis Brady"
wrote:

Lead has been regulated in most countries for some time. I believe
the only country moving to ban it completely is the U.S. The push for
that ban isn't for health and safety but to provide increased economic
opportunities for companies hoping to sell alternatives.

That is certainly one opinion. The addition of lead into gasoline was
initially economically motivated and lobbied for by the lead additive
companies - and the possible problems were known at the time.

The removal of lead form electronics is motivated by European countries that
are starting to see elevated lead levels in their water due to leaching of
lead from electronics in landfills. They haven't, until recently, taken
steps against lead in gasoline.

I fully support the movement to ban lead in the U.S. - for entirely
selfish reasons. When it's unavailable in the U.S., I'm gunna become
repugnantly rich by smuggling it in from Canada (which as it has done
with many things, will NOT be following the poorly thought out and
non-scientifically justified American lead).

Until a viable alternative for electronics is found - I doubt solders will
be lead free for some time.

Lead vs Zinc Harold E. Keeney \(Hal\) Glass 11 February 12th 04 02:16 PM
dangers of lead kasfam Glass 16 December 25th 03 01:22 AM
Stretching lead Bart V Glass 7 December 17th 03 04:49 AM
solder not adhering to lead M. Paradis Glass 1 November 19th 03 10:54 PM
Use of Brass Coated Lead Came Gloria Glass 3 August 19th 03 05:26 AM