New to group

Old August 14th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Default New to group

Welcome Lynda.
I didn't see that anyone mentioned Carol Doak's book: 'Your first
Quilting Book or it should be'.
It's a really good idea to start with the library, as has already been
suggested. Quilting can be expensive, and it is such a help to have an
idea of the sort of thing you might like to make before you buy any
fabric or any other supplies. In the books you will see lots of
different kinds of fabric, and will get an idea of the kinds you like
best. Most quilting fabric is pure cotton (though there are some
beautiful silk or wool pieces) - don't mix at the beginning. Cotton is
lovely to work with.
You can't make a quilt without fabric! and you don't want to make too
many costly mistakes g
If you don't have thread, you will find it easier to work with cotton
thread.
You can get it in no end of colours. Sewing the pieces together can be
done with almost any colour, but grey is often a favourite, because it
seems to almost blend with most colours of fabric. Other neutrals are
good, too.
..
In message .com,
Lynda writes
Hello my name is Lynda and this is my first group. I picked this group
because I would love to learn how to make a quilt . I have never done
this I have always wanted to learn to how. If anyone has any
suggestions on how to get started please let me know. I guess I just
never had time to find out . Remember I have no clue how to even
start. I don't even know what kind of supplies I need.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 15th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Lynda wrote:
Hello my name is Lynda and this is my first group. I picked this group
because I would love to learn how to make a quilt . I have never done
this I have always wanted to learn to how. If anyone has any
suggestions on how to get started please let me know. I guess I just
never had time to find out . Remember I have no clue how to even
start. I don't even know what kind of supplies I need.

Welcome, Lynda! This is a great group and pretty friendly; you'll soon
find that we about LOTS of stuff besides quilting . Others have given
you a lot of good suggestions. But no one mentioned looking to your
local community education for quilting classes (and basic sewing
classes, if you need those.)

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old August 15th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article .com,
Lynda wrote:

Hello my name is Lynda and this is my first group. I picked this group
because I would love to learn how to make a quilt . I have never done
this I have always wanted to learn to how. If anyone has any
suggestions on how to get started please let me know. I guess I just
never had time to find out . Remember I have no clue how to even
start. I don't even know what kind of supplies I need.

Welcome, Lynda! Is there a quilt shop (AKA "LQS") near you where you
could take a beginner's class? I didn't have access to that when I
began, so I used books instead. I'd recommend _Quilter's Complete Guide_
by Fons and Porter as one good one you could try. Your local library may
be able to get it for you so you could see it before you buy.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 15th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Patti wrote:

I didn't see that anyone mentioned Carol Doak's book: 'Your first
Quilting Book or it should be'.

Oooh, I forgot about that one! Yes, it's quite good!

Old August 15th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article .com,
Lynda wrote:

Hello my name is Lynda and this is my first group. I picked this group
because I would love to learn how to make a quilt . I have never done
this I have always wanted to learn to how. If anyone has any
suggestions on how to get started please let me know. I guess I just
never had time to find out . Remember I have no clue how to even
start. I don't even know what kind of supplies I need.

Welcome, Lynda!

You've made the right choice comin' in here. RCTQers are the BEST
people you'll find! Listen to the advice they give and you can't go
wrong!

Everyone else has pretty much enumerated what you need to get started
and the best way to learn, so I won't waste your time repeating it
(though, it IS worth repeating). Just listen to'em and you're good to
go.

Just don't get overwhelmed - quilting is FUN!! It may be a bit
confusing at first, but then, that's why you're HERE - to pick the
sweet, kind brains of all these here quiltin' divas! So ask away if you
have any questions!

--
Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
Connie

I've started a FREE eZine ... and I've posted *LOTS* of free applique patterns!
Check it out!
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com/ ----- It's BACK!! AND they APOLOGIZED!
LOL!
Old August 15th 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

WHAT? You've been gone walkabout a year or two, and now
that you are back a few days, you're already begging
for my chocolate? Dream on, girl, dream on.
PAT, LOL in VA/USA

- dlm. wrote:

I too wish you welcome to the group! Kate in MI has some great suggestions
for you, so I won't echo hers.

BTW, I am the "official" taste tester of coffee. Yep...coffee! ( Seems
appropriate as I've been working on hand piecing my "Double Shot of
Espresso" quilt for what seems like years ). So, send along a sample of
your favourite brand of coffee to central MA and I'll be more than happy to
report back to the group about how well it goes with the chocolate that
you've sent Pat in VA. ( Pat, you are sharing, aren't you??? )

- dlm. in stunningly beautiful central MA

Old August 15th 07, 07:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Aug 14, 10:53 am, Lynda wrote:
Hello my name is Lynda and this is my first group. I picked this group
because I would love to learn how to make a quilt . I have never done
this I have always wanted to learn to how. If anyone has any
suggestions on how to get started please let me know. I guess I just
never had time to find out . Remember I have no clue how to even
start. I don't even know what kind of supplies I need.

Hi Lynda! Your post could have been written by me a couple years ago!
I'll tell
you how I learned:
1. First I took an 8-week class at the local quilt shop. I didn't even
know what supplies
I needed, or how to start. We made a wall hanging and it got me off to
a running start.
2. This group has just been invaluable. I have learned so much just
lurking, and
searching old posts for a particular topic. Then I got really brave
and started posting.
People here are so nice. So helpful.
3. There are so many good beginner books. And an awful lot of free
instruction
on websites.
The first full-size quilt I made was the "Turning Twenty" pattern. I
think it's a good
one to start with.
Good luck! And welcome to the group.

Sherry

Old August 15th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lynda

On Aug 14, 11:09 pm, Sherry wrote:
On Aug 14, 10:53 am, Lynda wrote:

[...]

Thankyou yes everyone is so nice I am so glad I joined this group.

Old August 15th 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy

yeah -- what she said G
BTW - you can buy backing by the yard or in a package for a specific size
(i.e. "twin", "full", "queen") to match the size of the quilt you're making.
My first quilt (college dorm) had a thin blanket used as a batting, and was
"tied" using embroidery floss. Get the "top" done first, as you said. The
rest we'll help you figure out when you get there!

ME-Judy

"monique" wrote in message
Howdy, Lynda!

Backing is the fabric on the back side of the quilt. Keeps the seams on
the back of the quilt top from showing and holds the batting in. Batting
is the "filling" in the sandwich--what makes a quilt warm, squishy, and
cuddly. Could be cotton, wool, polyester, silk, etc.

Welcome!

Monique in TX

Old August 15th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy

One more thing to keep in mind..... Repeat after me......
There ARE NO "quilt police" --- There ARE NO "quilt police" --- There
ARE NO "quilt police" (to inspect your work for "perfect" stitches
and other stuff.)
...... sometimes we (errr.... I) learn best by making mistakes (and learning
what NOT to do the next time!) than I do by accidentally getting it right
the first time around.

The object is to enjoy what it is you are doing! Perfection comes with age
BEG and practice.... and nobody is perfect (and none of us is that OLD,
(yet))
(That's why we take frequent chocolate breaks, too!)
BTW (By the Way), what's your favorite chocolate??

ME-Judy

wrote in message
Hello my name is Lynda and this is my first group. I picked this group
because I would love to learn how to make a quilt . I have never done
this I have always wanted to learn to how. If anyone has any
suggestions on how to get started please let me know. I guess I just
never had time to find out . Remember I have no clue how to even
start. I don't even know what kind of supplies I need.- Hide quoted
text -

Your pick group (and any other group I moderate), Pami, Dannielle-double aster.... Terbear Quilting 0 December 1st 06 11:17 PM
New To Group and Art Barbara Sherrill Quilting 16 April 23rd 06 10:15 PM
New to group BettyKuhn Needlework 15 January 31st 06 10:01 PM
Group Mama Bear Needlework 0 January 24th 06 11:02 PM
ob group Theultimatemall Marketplace 0 July 10th 04 05:40 PM