ON Topic - Ice Storm Stitching

Old January 18th 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default ON Topic - Ice Storm Stitching

No power for most of 3 days, so......

Most of the time it was too dark to stitch even with my clip lamp. I did
glance through the new Nordic Needle catalog; it needs further study.

I tried to put floss away, but my Palm didn't have lots of battery and
since I needed a portable alarm clock, I didn't waste the battery double
checking for repeats. Must find a better storage system - cookie tins fill
up too quickly, I did fold fabric and put them away. I wish I could identify
fabric more easily other then Aida/Tula vs evenweaves. I have to find my
handy dandy thread counter too.

Also, I did make a stab at reorganizing my WIPS/UFO's. I will either A. toss
the old laundry basket and buy something new that matches the area it sits
in. B. Attempt to wash it (seems risky washing the wicker and fabric) or C.
Rip out the old lining and reline it. While I'd really like something new,
finding something as deep will be difficult and my shopping time is limited
right now. Relining maybe the way to go and since I have to hit the fabric
store any way (need a new liner pad for the dining room table), it counts as
s.e.x.

Off to finish catching up on the house work and other post ice storm joys.
No major branches down or damage.

Old January 19th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

No ice storm predicted here, but I am going to be joining Cheryl in the
dark.

The electric company left me a notice today that they will be turning
off our power from 8-4 tomorrow (on a Saturday!!!?) for "service upgrades".

Fortunately, I am doing some mindless knitting for the housewarming
gift, so if it's too dark to stitch, I'll have something to occupy my
time. And just got a new 24-pack of AA batteries, so I can run the CD
player and the book light.

We'll find out whether having gas heat is of any use in a blackout ...
the blower is electric, so there will be some experimentation of how
well the heat circulates without that assistance.

And someone please remind me that I need to go down to the basement and
push the reset button on the hot water heater when it's all over, or I
won't have any hot water till I do.

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 1/16/07 -- Classy Lady in Purple (JCS)

WIP: housewarming gifts, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old January 20th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dixie Sugar

No ice storm here either (thank goodness) in Mississippi but really cold and
wet. We also have a gas furnace with electric blower and unless there is
something different about your furnace, you won't have heat from it while
the electric is off. Heck of a time to "upgrade" isn't it?

Brenda

Old January 20th 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Should I call you after DD's afternoon practice to check on you?

I may have refugeed to Brian's. He's only a couple blocks away, but he
didn't get a notice.

Just e-mail and remind my dead brain cells to push the button and wait
90 minutes before running my bath.

Old January 20th 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Dixie Sugar wrote:

Heck of a time to "upgrade" isn't it?

Given the choice, I'd rather they do it in winter, when I can pile on
the blankets, than when it's 112. I've lived through periods of no A/C
at all, and I'd rather not do it again.