Need Help Please w/American Sampler

Old January 7th 04, 11:38 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Just to clarify (gosh, this terminology gets dizzying at times):
graphing means to diagram something on paper, often in a gridded
pattern. Actually, that's not the "strict" definition, but serves
counted stitchers who see stitch diagrams on a gridded paper.

Gridding means to baste on a fabric ground every so many threads, or so
many inches, in order to keep track of where you are when you stitch.
Counted stitchers usually baste every five or ten threads, both
horizontally and vertically.

Dianne

Boohoo1971 wrote:

What do you mean by "graph" your linen? BRBR

Graphing means to stitch lines on your fabric to help with the proper placement
of the design. Some stitchers graph all the time, specific number of spaces
apart, like 10. Designers might request graphs when it is not possible to
start at one point of a chart and work from there. This is done at times in
reproduction spot samplers...they have spots of stitching all over the place
and there is not way to move from one to another without endless counting (and
hopes that you have counted right) or graphs. The threads in the graph are
pulled out when the stitcher wants to, hopefully before they stitch over the
graph thread. Boo

Old January 8th 04, 03:08 AM
Bob & Marg Whittleton

Paula C. Hunter wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone on the list has stitched the "American Sampler" by
Sandy Orton? I was going to start last year but life got in the way. Now I
am ready but have so many questions.

Does anyone know of a online sample or tutorial of the Queen Stitch?

Is it recommended I "graph" (not correct wording) my linen? Where would one
start?

Paula C. Hunter

Here is URL for picture of chart for sale on E-Bay. NOT AFFILATED with this
sale or seller, just posting for the picture.

I may be mistaken, but did anyone notice that this e-bay seller seems to
have taken the magazine apart and be selling the patterns separately?
I don't expect there is anything illegal about that, but nothing is
explicitly stated and if the buyer was expecting the whole Treasures in
Needlework magazine he/she would be in for a big surprise.

Marg

Old January 8th 04, 05:25 AM
explorer

"F.James Cripwell" wrote in message
"seaspray" (seaside stitcher @ yahoo. com) writes:
By any chance are they recomending that you grid your linen? If so, you
will use a contrasting color and weave in and out to make a grid pattern

on
the cloth. You must make each square even. This helps so you can keep

track
of where you are in the pattern. You will be pulling out this grid when

you
are done stitching. I hope this helps.
Seaspray

A word of caution. Don't use embroidery floss to grid the fabric.

It
tends to leave fuzz behind when it is taken out, and is easy to pierce
with a needle, making it difficult to take out. Use something like
quilters thread, or monofilament; something it is difficult, or almost
impossible to pierce, and does not leave any fuzzies behind. HTH.

--
Jim Cripwell.

I hadn't thought of that. I always use "that god-awful ugly, no way I'd
ever use those two skeins of floss" someone gave me one. It's neon orange.
I kid you not. Great contrast and I was surprised the color doesn't run.

I don't always grid, but if the design is complicated or has a lot of
different colors, I will.

Old January 8th 04, 06:10 AM
Paula C. Hunter

Thank you so much! I understand what you are saying and it does seem a lot
more efficent to grid just like the pattern!

And the tip about the "quilting" effect is excellent!!

Paula C. Hunter

Old January 8th 04, 06:12 AM
Paula C. Hunter

Thank you very much!!!!

Going to graph it first then look up the "dreaded" stitch. It looks so
lovely!

Paula

"

Old January 8th 04, 06:12 AM
Paula C. Hunter

Thank you! Won't do!

Paula C. Hunter

Old January 8th 04, 06:16 AM
Paula C. Hunter

I am SO HAPPY!!!!!! Thank you for letting me know and I am going to
subscribe right now!!!

Paula C. Hunter

"PaulaB" wrote in message
om...
Hi, Paula, from another Paula! I stitched this sampler back in 1994
and must have done ok with it since mine has won several shows. I am
in a lovely Yahoo group right now called Vintage Stitch that is doing
a stitch along of this sampler in 2004...they have just barely started
and if you join now you will find lots of support and answers to
questions. It really is a lovely sampler - one of my very favorites!
- and well worth the effort to stitch it. If you do a search on the
Yahoo groups and find Vintage Stitch and join it, then you can email
back and forth with other people also working on it. If you can't
find it, email me privately and I'll help you locate it. You are
welcome ANYTIME to email with questions about this sampler, anyway,
whether you join the group or not! I'll help you however I can.

To answer your first two questions briefly: The Victoria's Sampler
website has nice stitch diagrams (you have to join the club to access
them but it's no big deal and no spamming from her). I can also give
you a few tips for queen stitches. (Having taught at my now-defunct
LNS years ago I learned a few things about how to make them easier for
people!)

I did not grid this sampler. I started in the middle of mine and I am
pretty sure the Vintage Stitch group is, too. I dunno if anyone there
has gridded. There are enough small sections that I think you'll be
ok if you don't - I had no major errors when I did mine.

Best of luck and happy stitching! Paula B.

Old January 8th 04, 02:23 PM
seaspray

Last week while cruising ebay, I found a seller selling the charts and
directions to Mill Hill kits that she has finished. Beginning bid was 75
cents. I was wondering whether or not that is a violation. You are sort of
re-selling the merchandise, but then again, most sellers are re-selling kits
or chart booklets from their stash or estate sales. Can anyone comment on
this?

Seaspray

Old January 8th 04, 03:34 PM
Brenda Lewis

Unless the designer or publisher has explicitly stated (in print on the
chart) that only one stitched product may be made from the chart, this
is legal. Even then, I'm not sure how anyone could prove whether a
specific chart had been used. I know I don't remember every little
thing I've stitched in my lifetime. As long as the seller is making it
clear that the auction only includes the chart and directions and is
*not* the full kit, Ebay should be satisfied.

seaspray wrote:
Last week while cruising ebay, I found a seller selling the charts and
directions to Mill Hill kits that she has finished. Beginning bid was 75
cents. I was wondering whether or not that is a violation. You are sort of
re-selling the merchandise, but then again, most sellers are re-selling kits
or chart booklets from their stash or estate sales. Can anyone comment on
this?

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: "Pink Baby" photo frame, Candamar

Old January 8th 04, 08:15 PM
Ellice

On 1/7/04 7:49 AM,"Paula C. Hunter" posted:

Does anyone know of a online sample or tutorial of the Queen Stitch?

Is there a stitch diagram with the chart? It's a lovely stitch, but if
you've never done it, you should definitely do some practice ones on a
doodle cloth.

This is a good diagram of Queen Stitchm from Johanna's Needle Stitch:
http://webstitch.designwest.com/stitch07.html#queen1

The website has a lot of good information and stitch diagrams - you may want
to check it out.
http://webstitch.designwest.com/needle_stitch.html

This site also has many stich diagrams, but I didn't see Queen stitch.
http://www.needlepoint.org/Stitch.htm

Is it recommended I "graph" (not correct wording) my linen? Where would one
start?

Grid the linen. As in baste a thread of easily seen sewing thread, usually
every 10 threads.

Have you stitched on linen before? It's up to you- if you're comfy counting,
you might not bother. But, many experienced stitchers spend the time to grid
and are happy in that it makes the stitching time finally go a bit faster.

If you just remember to start in the hole with a vertical thread on top to
the right, it makes it easy to count, and your stitch is best supported.
You'll always know that every stitch should be starting with that vertical
thread on the right side of the up-needle, and the vertical is crossing on
top of the horizontal.

Here is URL for picture of chart for sale on E-Bay. NOT AFFILATED with this
sale or seller, just posting for the picture.

Paula, it's a lovely piece. Enjoy.

Ellice