Batting question

Old August 18th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MaleQuilter

Default Batting question

My current project is 45" x 45", has nine redwork blocks with sashing,
a 1" inner border, and a 4" wide outer border.

Since I will not be able to quilt over the approximate 6" x 6" area
with the redwork, what type of batting should I use?

I would like for my quilting to "show up" even though the thread will
probably match the fabric.

Also, right now my quilt is really squared up and I am not sure if
batting affects the amount of distortion when quilted.

The quilt (actually wallhanging) will be seldom washed.

Jerry in North Alabama
http://community.webshots.com/user/MaleQuilter

Old August 18th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article .com,
MaleQuilter wrote:

My current project is 45" x 45", has nine redwork blocks with sashing,
a 1" inner border, and a 4" wide outer border.

Since I will not be able to quilt over the approximate 6" x 6" area
with the redwork, what type of batting should I use?

I would like for my quilting to "show up" even though the thread will
probably match the fabric.

Also, right now my quilt is really squared up and I am not sure if
batting affects the amount of distortion when quilted.

The quilt (actually wallhanging) will be seldom washed.

Jerry in North Alabama
http://community.webshots.com/user/MaleQuilter

Poly batting is always safe when you have to leave large areas
unquilted, Jerry; and it also has the advantage of being very easy to
hand quilt. That said, I did a bluework quilt (he
http://www.sandymike.net/misc.html#teatime) a couple of years ago, and
I did quilt through the embroidered areas, just to keep things sort of
even. I quilted around the teapots and some of the motifs on the
teapots, and then I also put a diagonal grid in the background of each
block. Could you do something similar?

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 18th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Sandy wrote:
In article .com,
MaleQuilter wrote:

[...]

I've done the same thing with embroidered blocks. I've also done some
where I just quilted close to the main motif with thread to match the
background. It makes the design pop a bit, but isn't really noticeable.
If you aren't going to quilt the blocks, choose a batting that says that
quilting lines may be at least 6" apart. Warm'n'Natural or Warm'n'White
are two that would work.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Question on batting Kate T. Quilting 12 July 18th 06 10:58 PM
Batting question Nancy Quilting 11 February 8th 06 07:23 PM
Batting question Mika Quilting 10 December 16th 04 07:13 PM
Batting question Teacher gal Quilting 8 October 14th 04 07:14 PM
Batting Question? muse9 Quilting 33 July 14th 04 05:20 PM