Singer 421G - help!

Old September 20th 04, 04:13 PM
Dan

Default Singer 421G - help!

Hi there - I'm not sure if anyone can help, but I'm having a seck of a time
trying to find a replacement throat plate for a Singer 421G. If anyone has
one or knows where I might be able to find one, it would be much
appreciated. My girlfriend's plate is pretty chewed up and the constant
swearing from the sewing room has me worried!!!

Thanks,
Dan

Old September 20th 04, 06:35 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

I would suggest that you take the machine in to a reputable service
technician for repairs and service to see why the plate is chewed up in the
first place. Other than that, you can take out the burrs with sandpaper
(finishing the job with steel wool). But:- without correcting the original
problem, you are going to be back at square one quite quickly.
Cynthia

Old September 21st 04, 10:00 PM
Ron Anderson

If the needle plate is beat up, no sewing machine technician anywhere can
solve the source. This is simply impatience in the vast majority of cases.
Pulling the material through rather than letting the machine feed it.
The 421G was made for European distribution so no parts books over here, but
is the poster wants to photo copy the plate exactly all edges and openings,
and send it to me snail mail, I may be able to match it.

--
Ron Anderson
A1 Sewing Machine

Old September 22nd 04, 06:32 PM
Debra

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:13:21 -0400, "Dan" wrote:

Hi there - I'm not sure if anyone can help, but I'm having a seck of a time
trying to find a replacement throat plate for a Singer 421G. If anyone has
one or knows where I might be able to find one, it would be much
appreciated. My girlfriend's plate is pretty chewed up and the constant
swearing from the sewing room has me worried!!!

Thanks,
Dan

At one time the letter at the end of the Singer model number simply
meant where the machine was to be sold. My mom has a 185J and I have
a 185K. Hers was made to be sold in the US and mine was made to be
sold in the UK. The machines are exactly the same except for some
paint on one part, and the letter at the end of the number. The
machines' motors were even made at the same location. We have had no
problem finding parts by looking for them using just the number 185.
Perhaps you can find a throat plate by looking for a 421 plate.

There is a guy on e-bay that sells Singer parts and has a very good
feedback score. If you search for "421 throat plate" you may be able
to find one, and then you can e-mail the seller to find out if it will
fit your 421G before you place a bid on the part.

Debra in VA
Old September 22nd 04, 08:42 PM
Irene Scott

Dan, look under at the current plate...there should be a number stamped
on the back and perhaps the word "Simanco" -- can you post back with
this number? That will be a big help in identifying the proper
replacement.....

-Irene

Old September 23rd 04, 09:20 AM
Kate Dicey

Dan wrote:

Thanks for all the help guys. The number on the bottom of the part is
537053.

Not sure whether that will help, but it can't hurt!

If you contact Singer with the part number, they might be able to help.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk