Recently Completed woodworking project.

Old April 23rd 11, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default Recently Completed woodworking project.

I have been down in the basement workshop for awhile and this is the
result. I had need of corralling a lot of meditation cushions into one
storage place and keeping them clean and out of sight. What evolved is
a varnished, pine storage chest, that is constructed with dovetails
and breadboard top ends, brass interior hinges and black steel
handles. I quite like the finished piece, as it accomplishes the
storage goal and looks pretty nice when closed, and in place. I am
going to make some carrying bags for traveling with the cushions for
use while on the road. Should be a fun project. Pics are below.
Dimensions 36" long x 20" wide x 22" deep

https://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylo...ntlyCompleted#
John
Old April 24th 11, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 11:32:26 -0700 (PDT), John
wrote:

I have been down in the basement workshop for awhile and this is the
result. I had need of corralling a lot of meditation cushions into one
storage place and keeping them clean and out of sight. What evolved is
a varnished, pine storage chest, that is constructed with dovetails
and breadboard top ends, brass interior hinges and black steel
handles. I quite like the finished piece, as it accomplishes the
storage goal and looks pretty nice when closed, and in place. I am
going to make some carrying bags for traveling with the cushions for
use while on the road. Should be a fun project. Pics are below.
Dimensions 36" long x 20" wide x 22" deep

https://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylo...ntlyCompleted#
John

Beautiful chest, John. I especially like those hinges. Well done!

-Irene
Old April 24th 11, 12:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

How lovely! You could make a cushion for the top too, and use it as a
handy little bench for taking your shoes off etc.
Roberta in D

Old April 24th 11, 12:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

wrote:
I have been down in the basement workshop for awhile and this is the
result. I had need of corralling a lot of meditation cushions into one
storage place and keeping them clean and out of sight. What evolved is
a varnished, pine storage chest, that is constructed with dovetails
and breadboard top ends, brass interior hinges and black steel
handles. I quite like the finished piece, as it accomplishes the
storage goal and looks pretty nice when closed, and in place. *I am
going to make some carrying bags for traveling with the cushions for
use while on the road. Should be a fun project. Pics are below.
Dimensions 36" long x 20" wide x 22" deep

https://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylo...ntlyCompleted#
John

Beautiful chest, John. *I especially like those hinges. *Well done!

-Irene

Those hinges are interesting. The back edge of the top sits flush with
the rear side board. When you raise the lid, the back edge of the top
moves forward, as you raise the lid, and that allows you to place the
whole chest close to the rear wall behind the chest. With a normally
hinged lid, you must allow the chest to be held away from the wall so
that the lid will open, and it also needs some kind of chain or stay,
to hold it in place when open. These hinges also allow you to raise
the lid to 95 degrees, and thereby not have it fall down on you, when
you are looking inside for something at the bottom. An altogether
clever design.
John

5 year project completed jennell Quilting 30 September 4th 06 04:21 AM
Latest completed project Julia in MN Quilting 4 June 29th 06 12:54 PM
Completed project MelissaD Needlework 19 March 22nd 06 05:58 PM
Another completed project. Cheryl Quilting 6 February 9th 06 09:17 PM
My First (completed) Brick Stitch Project Barbara Forbes-Lyons Beads 9 July 5th 04 02:28 AM