Craft Show Booth Success...

Old September 28th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Default Craft Show Booth Success...

Hi guys,

On Saturday I went to the local art college to attend a day long class
by a local jeweller and metalsmith who is very successful with his
work. He has been able to support himself with his work over the past
ten years and even produced work for wholesale. Only four people
including myself showed up for the class, so it was really nice and
personal. There was so much advice, that it would take forever to share
it, but here are what I thought were the best tips:

Hi guys, yesterday I went to an all day class with a member of a local
craft council on how to create a great looking both. I can't share
everything (that would take a ton of space, but I'll share the most
helpful bits). I wish something like this had been offered years ago!

- design your booth, don't let it just "happen". Visit your favourite
stores for inspiration. Do you want to be Wal-Mart or Harry Rosen (as
an example - when he was saying this, all I could think of was what Dr.
Sooz said to me...it's so true...this year my table will not "happen")

- your booth creates a perception of your work. If it looks cluttered
like a flea market, people will expect flea market prices.

- use risers, or even go the extra step of physically raising the table
(or using a custom table at counter height). Tables are made for
sitting, not standing, and by raising the product, people don't have to
bend to see your work.

- whether you're indoors or outdoors, use lighting to your advantage.
Position lights so they don't get in your eyes or the customers eyes,
and make sure that they light a product, rather than casting it in
shadow. Clamp light or swing arm lights work good.

- use signage boldly. Even though your name may be on the table, people
still instinctively look up to see who you are. Let people see you from
far away as well.

- use a folding stool instead of a chair. You can still rest by leaning
on cheek on it :-) and still be at eye level with a customer. For short
folks you can also see over the table too :-D

Part of the class also included asking the vendor tons of questions.
For example, if power is provided, how much power (is it just an outlet
in a wall that you have to share?), will the tables be all together
with no room to get out, etc etc.

Because it was a small class, we also ventured into the business side
of things, and we talked about things like accepting credit cards.
Apparently some craft councils can get you a discount on credit card
fees if you go with their bank, etc.

One of the oddest things that came up is that it has been proven that
when most people enter a store, they automatically turn to the right
(try to notice next time you go shopping :-D)

Our first sale is on November 4th...not much time left!

Best,
Christine

Old September 28th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Gina Bull

- use risers, or even go the extra step of physically raising the table
(or using a custom table at counter height). Tables are made for
sitting, not standing, and by raising the product, people don't have to
bend to see your work.

But be careful to not make it *too* high. I attend craft shows on my
mobility scooter (since I cannot walk long distances) and when somebody has
installed a high counter, then I literally cannot see what is on it. Those
booths I skip. :-(

Gina
Old September 28th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beckibead

They absolutely go to the right. I was right inside the door at one
show, on the left, and had the worst sales ever at a show. Even though
my merchandise was top-notch, they had spent all their money by the
time they got to my table (last)

Becki

Old September 29th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

But be careful to not make it *too* high. I attend craft shows on my
mobility scooter (since I cannot walk long distances) and when somebody has
installed a high counter, then I literally cannot see what is on it. Those
booths I skip. :-(

Good point Gina, I never thought of that. Thanks for mentioning it. I
don't think I will be having my table too high - I want the small fry
to see stuff too :-)

Best,
Christine

Old September 29th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

They absolutely go to the right. I was right inside the door at one
show, on the left, and had the worst sales ever at a show. Even though
my merchandise was top-notch, they had spent all their money by the
time they got to my table (last)

Oh man :\ I always make two or three passes at a show before I plunk
down any money, but not everyone does I guess. That was another thing
this artist said - know where they're going to put your table
beforehand. And don't get stuck next to the washrooms either :-D

Best,
Christine

Old September 29th 06, 09:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
mermaidscove_com

I think this is because you read from right to left, it is natural to
start at the right. I guess we can test this theory by going to an
oriental market and see if they start at the top ;-).

This is all good advice, I guess I'd add to make sure you know what
happens in the event of rain at outdoor shows and how they define rain.
I had one refuse to refund $100- booth fee because it was "drizzling"
not "raining". No customers either way but they seemed to think this
distinction mattered.

Ingrid

Old September 29th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beckibead

Cindy -- are you left handed? Actually most people are right-handed,
and although that doesn't seem to connect with what way we turn, we
turn to the right most often in a situation like this. I think it is a
right-hand, left-hand thing but have absolutely no proof of that.

Christine -- I like what they said about knowing your location in
advance. Where you are placed in the show is key. If they put you at
the end, fight like hell. Seriously.

Becki

Old September 29th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Shirley Shone

In message .com,
Beckibead writes

Cindy -- are you left handed? Actually most people are right-handed,
and although that doesn't seem to connect with what way we turn, we
turn to the right most often in a situation like this. I think it is a
right-hand, left-hand thing but have absolutely no proof of that.

Christine -- I like what they said about knowing your location in
advance. Where you are placed in the show is key. If they put you at
the end, fight like hell. Seriously.

Becki

When I go to a craft show I always turn left as I go in. I work my way
clockwise round the outside of the hall. Then I go up and down the rows
in the centre. Maybe it is because we drive on the left side of the
road. LOL
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.demon.co.uk
Old September 30th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

LOL Shirley, I never thought it could be the opposite for UK folks :-)
When I make my first pass, I stick to the centre of the aisle...which
reminds me...

The artist mentioned about how people make commitments to buy - and I
guess I'm not very committed on that first pass :-D Basically by coming
up to your table, they're making one commitment to look, if they hold
something, they're making a commitment to (hopefully) buy, and somehow
you have to cement it in a few seconds before they're distracted by
something else.

Oh! That was another thing. If you can, move the table a foot or so
back from the main aisle. That gets people out of traffic, and they're
not swept away by other shoppers.

Best,
Christine

Old September 30th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

This is all good advice, I guess I'd add to make sure you know what
happens in the event of rain at outdoor shows and how they define rain.
I had one refuse to refund $100- booth fee because it was "drizzling"
not "raining". No customers either way but they seemed to think this
distinction mattered.

:-( That's a lot to pay for a spot :-( Defniitely another good point to
add to the pile. Do you do outdoor shows often?

Best,
Christine