need some suggestions for fabric

Old January 24th 05, 12:15 PM
Margaret St. John

Default need some suggestions for fabric

Hi all,
I recently purchased an baby dragon alphabet from ww.cross-stitching.com. It
is geared towards just stitching an individual letter on 14ct aida. Each
design size completed is 5"x5". What I'd like to do is stitch the entire
alphabet as a picture for my sister's baby's room, she's due in Septemeber
so I should have time to finish it. If I get my cousin's wedding smapler done
by Aprilish (the wedding is in August). Now the question is what count fabric
would make this a resaonable size? I want it to not be to large, and I also
want the dragons not to be to tiny. For some reason I'm just not figuring
this out. I am planning on using a linen or even weave fabric ,not aida.
Thanks for any and all help.
-Margaret

\\ o o
|\/ o\ o
o Margaret St. John

|/\ / Let it snow!!
http://www.silverthorn.org/mstjohn
///
Old January 24th 05, 03:58 PM
Addie Otto

From what I can figure, each letter is about 70 stitches each side. You
will also want a space in between the letters...say 10 stitches?

So if you were to arrange the letters like this:
ABCD
EFGH
IJKL
MNOP
QRST
UVWX
YZ

then the stitch counts would be 310 across by 550 down giving finished
dimensions of approximately
28-count over 2: 22 1/7" x 39 2/7" each letter 5" x 5"
32-count over 2: 19 3/8" x 34 3/8" each letter 4 3/8" x 4 3/8"
36 count over 2: 17 2/9" x 30 5/9" each letter 3 8/9" x 3 8/9"

For a different arrangement, take the number of letters across (or down) and
multiply by 70 then add 10 for each space between letters. That will give
you your stitch count for that direction. Then divide by the number of
stitches you would make on an inch of fabric (i.e. 28 count fabric gives 14
stitches per inch).

Hope that helps!

Addie
(It helps that I'm a math teacher)

news:1106568949.2755ee12f9513e441c186daec2b5ceac@t eranews...

Old January 24th 05, 06:25 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Margaret St. John wrote:

Hi all,
I recently purchased an baby dragon alphabet from ww.cross-stitching.com. It
is geared towards just stitching an individual letter on 14ct aida. Each
design size completed is 5"x5". What I'd like to do is stitch the entire
alphabet as a picture for my sister's baby's room, she's due in Septemeber
so I should have time to finish it. If I get my cousin's wedding smapler done
by Aprilish (the wedding is in August). Now the question is what count fabric
would make this a resaonable size? I want it to not be to large, and I also
want the dragons not to be to tiny. For some reason I'm just not figuring
this out. I am planning on using a linen or even weave fabric ,not aida.
Thanks for any and all help.

What format do you want to work them in? If you're going for
something square-ish, you could do:

ABCD
EFGHIJ
KLMNOP
QRSTUV
WXYZ

which would make it 470 stitches wide (with a 10 stitch space in
between letters) and 440 stitches tall. If you go for something
close to half the size of the original design, you could do it
over 1 on 28 count fabric, in which case it would be about
17x16 inches. Or, if you felt that was too small, you could
go with 36 count fabric over 2, which would make it 26x24"
(which sounds maybe bigger than you wanted?). If you want
to go quite small, you could do it over 1 on 32 count fabric,
for a finished size of 15x14".

If you don't like any of those options, you could consider
doing just the baby's name, but that would mean waiting
until you knew the name (which, if they have an u/s or
amnio *and* find out the sex *and* choose to share it and
the name ahead of time, you might know by April).

Best wishes,
Ericka