Popular Misconception *a rant about group policy*

Old August 29th 04, 08:18 PM
Don/Gen

I agree with you 100%.
Gen

"Rbeezer" wrote in message
She was
trying to get us to think about it,

What makes her (and you, apparently) believe we don't think about it? Just
because the majority of us don't go into control freak mode and post

tirades
doesn't mean we don't think about the things that bother us here nor does

it
mean we don't address the issue. I myself prefer to deal with the problem

in a
less offensive and less intrusive manner than Diana does. That doesn't

mean I'm
thoughtless.

you look back at a lot of her originating posts, they are often
deep, thought provoking

I don't like being patronized and I also don't like being told what

something
is. What you found deep and thought provoking I found to be aggressive and

mean
spirited, not to mention presumptuous and phrased in a way to inflame and

hurt.
Trollish behavior at the very least and I'm discouraged to see you defend

and
misrepresent both the actual post and the clear intention behind it.

I don't post often but I read here almost every day. I am not only able to

read
for myself, I can also perceive and discernfor myself and I at this point,

feel compelled to speak up because I am beginning to feel railroaded by

you and
Diana as to what I should not only write and behave, but also as to what I
should feel, say, think and believe about the things I see written here.

You
may not call yourself quilt police or moderators, but that surely is your
implied intent and goal. To claim otherwise, no matter how articulately or
eloquently, is specious and dishonest.

Old August 29th 04, 09:22 PM
Don/Gen

This will be the last on this subject. You're just not worth arguing with.,
since you think one way and I think another.

I took great offense at your posting (or rant, as you yourself called it)
that the newsgroup was a lesson group. Many times it's been called a
quilting bee, and most of think of it that way. The fact that you see it as
just for lessons is your problem. Lighten up!

so I
am asking us to each consider our posts in terms of the Quilt Lesson
analogy.
Diana

Most of us don't see it this way, so why should you tell us what to do.

We all talk about this group as if it is a cyber quilting bee. It isnt. It
is a quilting lesson, ongoing and dynamic.

Sorry-can't agree.

As every group of people, especially women, a place to talk is wonderful.
Women (and a few men) enjoy the company and the opportunity to share with
others. I am sorry if anyone was driven away by a few with unflexible
notions of what a group should do/be. That is the most unfortunate ending

of
this discussion.

Just my opinion - you can have yours
Boca Jan

AGREE

My rant wasnt directed at you, or anyone, or should I say, it was directed
to everyone. I hoped, not for name calling and anger but introspection

So you admit you were ranting!!!!!!!!!!!

But what about OT posts, you ask. Arent they an interruption as well?

Yes,
when we forget to mark them as being off topic, to the paying subscriber

this group, they are, for some, an unwanted interruption of what they

pay to
come here for. Quilt lessons. When we do remember to use the OT in the
header it is as if we have excused ourselves to the little room over

there

Again, you assume people come here only for quilt lessons. For me and a lot
of others the OT posts are the most interesting. Besides, as several have
mentioned it doesn't take a terrible long time to figure out if you want to
read the posts or not, and just continue to the ones we want. Besides,
there are plenty of places to get lessons in much more detail than here.
The hints and tips are very important and useful, but I wouldn't consider
any of these as actual quilt lessons. Guess it all depends on your
interpretation of the word "lesson".

I agree, and that is why I asked people what they wanted. I asked them to
police themselves.

And again, why would you think it's up to you to make these requests? It
seems to me we had what we wanted before you started this mess! See below
.. Gen

"Jan" wrote in message
link.net...
Maybe it's because it ISN'T a class.

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Could SOMEONE please show me where I chopped anyones head off? And just
where did I tell anyone what to think or do? Im seeing people tell me Im a
nasty person and unkind. The only unkind thing Im seeing is posts from
people who did not understand my original post. I didnt attack anyone. You
wouldnt believe the pain this whole mess is causing me. I just do not tell
people what to do. Believe it or not, the truth is the truth.
When I ask my attackers where they see that I attacked anyone they fall
silent. So, please, someone point this out to me? Jan, Judy, Gen? Would

you
please stop calling me nasty names and just explain what is really

bothering
you?
Diana

"Judy Grevenites" wrote in message
I seldom post here anymore,--RCTQ has changed a lot and I don't
particularly like the direction it is drifting in. I am getting cranky
in my old age and I just don't like being irritated by people who
presume to speak for everyone.

Diane, you are a funny, kind and knowing person and I have enjoyed some
of your posts--but you have a tendency to presume that your vision of
the group is the only version.

The advertising issue will always be with us because of the different
perceptions of what is and isn't "selling". That, and the fact that
new people are always popping in and out and haven't a clue about what
"offends" us ensures that we will always have advertising. If it is
something blatent we usually just ignore it--as we do the odd bit of
porn that finds it's way here. If it is just a newby making a mistake,
a gentle EXPLAINATION suffices. We don't need to come down on someone,
wielding the sword of justice, and chop off their head

If anyone is more comfortable in a moderated group---by all means, go
there and enjoy. There are lot of 'em. RCTQ is self policing and we do
OK. RedQueen

Old August 29th 04, 09:46 PM
MoragP

Perhaps the person who is missing the point is you.

Points are easy to miss especially if your piecing isn't quite right.

This IS a quilting group, isn't it? A place to share ideas and problems about
quilting?

There's enough conflict in the rest of the world.
At least here, let's be about peace-ing.

Morag in Detroit
Old August 29th 04, 11:25 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
I give this post a 5.5
for lack of warmth in the movement and a big splash
when it hit the pool.

Ragmop/Sandy--wishing Gen would join us for another
Dumpster Tour & quilt show ;-D

"Don/Gen" wrote in message
Why do you feel it's up to you to ask what we want? It seems to me we've
done OK over the past few years. If you don't like how we post, maybe you
should follow the suggestion to join another group. Personally, I'm sick
of
you posting in a policing mode. I certainly feel sorry for anyone that
makes a mistake and posts something you don't feel is right. If we wanted
police state, we'd move on to another area!
Gen

Old August 29th 04, 11:29 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Giving a score of 6.75 to this post.
Participant shows lack of practice on the low beam ng
and loss of concentration in the uneven bars.
Sticking the dismount didn't raise the score high enough
for medal contention.

Ragmop/Sandy--hoping to see Judy in October in Illinois
and hoping she's got the sh!t for us to kick ;-D

Old August 30th 04, 04:21 AM
Don/Gen

Come to Columbus next year for the NQA show and I'll show you lots of
dumpsites! DDM can tell you, we had a lot of fun. Unfortunately, they
didn't get the dumpster tour.
Gen

om...

Old August 30th 04, 04:51 AM
DDM

We got to have a RCTQ meet-up ( Hi Vickie and Mickie!) and had a lot of fun
even without the dumpster tour! Had some seriously excellant ice cream too.
Would have even seen hot air balloons if the weather had cooperated.
Yuppers, it was a fun visit.

Dee in LeRoy, NY

Old August 30th 04, 05:15 AM
Vickie Y

Hey Gen! Is the show really back in Columbus next year?! Goody! I'd love to
come back down and see you all again. I happen to know a few dumpsters
around there, too! VBG

Vickie in Cleveland

Gen wrote...

Old August 30th 04, 07:48 AM
Sharon Harper

I agree Jalynne, I too love this group and no matter how busy I am always
find a spare "minute" to read and check up on things. I may not always post
(especially in the last week or two) because I'm running hither and yon, or
because the actual threads aren't my thing, or whatever. But I'm still
deeply fascinated by "my family" and have to know all the goings on.

I know what Diana was trying to say and I feel, alas, that it was another
case of people misinterpreting (sp?) what they read and firing off a
response before they think about it. I've been guilty of it before so I am
not pointing fingers or making accusations, JMHO thats all.

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under

"Jalynne" wrote in message
k.net...
I think you missed Diana's point. (I'm presuming to speak on her behalf,

because I

gently snipped