OT Flood in Chippewa N.of Pittsburgh

Old September 18th 04, 10:14 AM
DJDREVNA

Default OT Flood in Chippewa N.of Pittsburgh

My son is a Volunteer Fireman fo Chippewa and he has was outall day Friday. I
don't know what time he came in last night. He stopped in once and said they
had a lot of roads closed due to trees down and power lines down. They are
pumping out a lot of basements. He looked exhusted. The T.V. stations in
Pittsburgh cut away from normal programs all evening to report on the flooding
all around Pittsburgh. The had children in schools that couldn't leave because
so many roads were closed that the buses couldnt get them home so they were
going to keep them at the schools where they were safe. They closed part of our
PA Turnpike and other major four lane roads due to flooding and mud slides. On
the T.V. they said the problem with this storm is that it didn't flood in one
town it flooded everywhere around here. My house sits high we have know damage
at all. I feel sorry for a lot of people.

I very small town called Oakdale, PA was completely under water. They showed
pictures on T.V. and the water on the main street was up to the top of road
signs. My husband is a Mason and his lodge is in the center of that town. He
called around to see if anyone that lived close to there got any of their
historic books and items out of there before the water hit but know one knows.
He can't reach anyone that lives in the town because the phones and electric
are out. It would be sad if all the written history of memmbership of the lodge
is lost. But, it could be worse it could be life lost not items. So far we
haven't heard of anyone dieing from the flood. Most places got around 5 inches
in a matter of hours. They said we would get rain and have some flooding. But,
I don't think anyone expected this much rain and flooding.

I'm guessing my son is hpme this morning I didn't peek in his room. I don't
want to wake him, he has to work this afternoon. If my hubby can get into the
town of Oakdale he will go down to help with the clean up of their lodge. They
have flood insurance but, onemember said he didn't think it was going to be
enough to cover the damage.

She
Old September 18th 04, 11:42 AM
Kate Dicey

DJDREVNA wrote:

[...]

I'm praying your son got home safe, if tired, and that no-one was
killed. It sounds dreadful. Stay safe, y'hear!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 18th 04, 06:27 PM
Sandy Foster

Sheila, I'm glad to hear that you're alright, and I'm so sorry to hear
about the devastation that has hit your area. But you're right -- if no
one's life was lost, things could have been so much worse. Still, it
will take a long time to get lives back to "normal", though that's a
relative term in these circumstances.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1