OT - Update on Mom in Florida

Old August 4th 03, 02:55 AM
AliceW

Default OT - Update on Mom in Florida

Well, it's been a while since I sent an update on mom. For all the prayers
and good wishes, I am eternally thankful!

Mom is doing fairly well. She is in a rehab facility for physical therapy
on her right leg which is not functioning at the present time. She agreed
to a week in rehab but we are hoping she'll stay until her PT is completed.
The doctor has said she did not have a stroke, but her leg problem is caused
by a pinched nerve in her back caused by scar tissue from previous surgeries
and degeneration due to her age. What ever amount of mobility she regains
in the next week or so will be the extent of her recovery, which is not good
news. We are still not sure how it happened, but my sister and I would not
be surprised if she fell and was afraid to tell us. My sister found a
wonderful woman to come in once per week to clean, do laundry, change sheets
etc. for mom. She will also take over the dispensing of her meds. She also
found a person at her church who will transport mom to and from the doctors
with 3 days notice. Now we just have to get mom to agree to all of this.
Now, we have to look into revamping mom's bathroom so she can get into and
out of the shower and also get ramps installed so she can at least go out
onto her screen porch. There are several vendors near her that can do
this. Mom will probably need a walker from now on, and a motor chair in the
not-too-distant future. On the good side, she is not in pain, she is
getting three good meals per day and her meds are being dispensed properly.
Plus, they are making her do her physical therapy.

Thanks so much for all the kind words and good thoughts for mom.

Alice in NJ
RCTQ - "Royal Cybrarian"
www.ourcyberfamily.us
"The older the violin, the sweeter the music."

Old August 4th 03, 04:02 AM
nana2b

That is good news. She will be able to keep alot of her independence. Has
a social worker talked to her at all? Sometimes they can get more out of
Mom because there is no emotional attachment there. Sending more good
thoughts your way.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old August 4th 03, 04:41 AM
Sharon Harper

Sending love and {{{hugs}}} to all of you, especially mum. Let her know we
are all thinking of her.

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

Old August 4th 03, 04:54 AM
Joy Quilts

Will keep praying! Why are moms so syubborn sometimes - so set in their
ways...

--
A Joy in Hawaii
http://community.webshots.com/user/joyquilts

Old August 4th 03, 09:54 AM
Kate Dicey

AliceW wrote:

[...]

Well, I'm glad things are improving, but it looks like she will have to
give in sooner or later! Whether she manages to do this gracefully
or not is another matter... I will pray it all goes as it should!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old August 5th 03, 01:36 AM
Flo Cala

Alice, Would you tell more about how, where, cost, etc. you found a
social worker? Was it Senior Services, "Home Health Care," or ? I see a
possible need for services down the road... Private email may be
better. Thanks.

As to your Mom's utility bills, we've had the home telephone (local
Sprint) and the electric (Ocala Electric Utility dept.) bill deducted
from our checking account for many years and have *never* had a
problem. Both companies also send out itemized monthly statements that
also say on what date the bill will be drafted from the checking
account. I know many people do the same, but, perhaps, if your Mom
knows that other local "old" folks do it too, it might help convince
her it's safe and easy. As an option, I understand that the utility
company has another pay method whereas the amount paid monthly is
determined by averaging past yearly bills.
--
Dot
(Flo Cala) Delete "whome" in reply address.

"AliceW" wrote in message
Yes, she has a wonderful social worker that in our opinions is "a

miracle
worker". It's easy for mom to fight us tooth and nail because we are
dealing with her remotely for the most part. The social worker can

visit
with her when needed. She has been a tremendous help and keeps in

touch
with us routinely.

The next step for us is to try and get mom to let us help her pay her

bills.
We have finally gotten her accounts whittled down to one bank. But

she is
starting to double pay some (she forgets she paid it) or she forgets

to pay
and they turn her power or phone off. It then costs her a fee to

have them
turned on again. I can sign checks for mom so we are hoping to get

her to
agree to this when we visit. She has refused to have her recurring

bills
paid automatically from her checking account - she doesn't trust it.

Can't
blame her there. But I have online access to her account and check

it every
day, so I think this would be a good solution. We'll see what

happens.

Old August 6th 03, 10:18 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

Another billing possibility: Will the utilities agree to mail the bills to
you instead of to your mother?
--
Ruth in Happy Camp