US Food recall of chili and hash

Old July 24th 07, 06:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Default US Food recall of chili and hash

Just in case someone hasn't heard about it yet. I'd rather no one
here got terribly ill. A huge number of brands are listed he
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Even...nded/index.asp
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old July 24th 07, 06:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz

I have always wondered what 'chili and Hash' looked like..

Some of those photos actually remind me of recycled dog food.
I hope it tastes better than it looks

Dee in Oz

On Jul 24, 3:12 pm, Debra wrote:
Just in case someone hasn't heard about it yet. I'd rather no one
here got terribly ill. A huge number of brands are listed he http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Even...Expanded/index...
Debra in VA
See my quilts athttp://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere

Old July 24th 07, 09:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon Harper

Eeeeeeeeeeew! What a description!!! But, alas, having seen the photos I
have to concur.

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z37/shazrules/
oups.com...

Old July 24th 07, 12:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

Canned hash always reminds me of a game show here...The Wheel...in the days
when they had different 'rooms' of so-called 'prizes' to choose from.
Contestants
would have to pick thier prizes from a selection and they were often so
awful...but at the close of the
show they would announce ( not too loudly ! )...that the non-winners would
be
given consolations prizes --which often depended on the sponsor I suppose.
The goofiest combination of a prize one day was one I'll never
forget...Canned hash and Lee Press-on Nails !!!
Still can't remember if they won a case or a year's supply of the hash.

Mary in VT

"Sharon Harper" wrote in message
u...
Eeeeeeeeeeew! What a description!!! But, alas, having seen the photos I
have to concur.

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z37/shazrules/
oups.com...

Old July 24th 07, 12:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

It doesn't. Canned chili and canned barbeque are
sacrilegious in the South! I haven't' touched either
since I did a quick taste years ago. PAT

Old July 24th 07, 01:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz

Pat
So what is canned barbeque ? Do you mean barbeque pork in the recalled
notice ? That is probably the worst looking one. (Looks like it came
out of the wrong end of the dog).

Dee in Oz
I hope no one who eats this type of food takes offence to my comments.
I would try a lot of things if they were served up to me.

See my quilts athttp://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere- Hide quoted text -

Old July 24th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Actually, the canned Castlebury barbeque was almost edible. I used to heat
it and pile it on hamburger buns to fend off starving teenage boys (along
with a quart or so of ice cream) in a desperate measure to kill their
appetites until I could get supper on the table. It never worked but did
keep them busy. Polly

Old July 24th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 07:21:56 -0400, "MB"
wrote:

Canned hash always reminds me of a game show here...The Wheel...in the days
when they had different 'rooms' of so-called 'prizes' to choose from.
Contestants
would have to pick thier prizes from a selection and they were often so
awful...but at the close of the
show they would announce ( not too loudly ! )...that the non-winners would
be
given consolations prizes --which often depended on the sponsor I suppose.
The goofiest combination of a prize one day was one I'll never
forget...Canned hash and Lee Press-on Nails !!!
Still can't remember if they won a case or a year's supply of the hash.

Mary in VT

I remember one game show gave Rice-a-roni to every contestant. Losers
got 6 boxes and winners got a "lifetime supply". How's that for a
cheap prize? Rice, with flavorings added.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old July 24th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 22:46:20 -0700, Dee in Oz
wrote:

I have always wondered what 'chili and Hash' looked like..

Some of those photos actually remind me of recycled dog food.
I hope it tastes better than it looks

Dee in Oz

Both taste good, although not together. I doubt they are ever eaten
together. You have some odd foods down there too. Everywhere you can
go on this planet there will be something that looks odd but tastes
good.

Canned corned beef hash is basically corned beef brisket chopped up
very fine with tiny cubes of potato, and sometimes a little onion
added. Some people thin it out with milk and pour it over toast like
a very thick gravy, others spoon it out of the can and fry it until
bits of it become crispy. Both ways are good, and the basic flavor is
corned beef.

Chili is different. There are two basic kinds. Chili that one eats
from a bowl and chili that is put on hot dogs. To add to the
confusion, some people put the first kind on hot dogs instead of the
second kind. Chili one eats from a bowl is usually very much like a
hearty spicy meat stew with big chunks of ground beef, chopped onion,
peppery spices, and often it has red kidney beans or pinto beans in
it. Hot dog chili is made with finely crumbled ground beef and spices
and is much thinner so a spoonful will cover the top of a hotdog
nicely. The canned products quite often have vegetable protein added
to make it cheaper to produce, and the ground meat is extruded through
a die and cut rather than crumbled like one would do at home, so it
doesn't look nearly as appetizing as home made. However, the home
made versions require hours of simmering time for a really good batch
of chili, and the canned stuff is "heat and eat".
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old July 24th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 07:57:07 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

Actually, the canned Castlebury barbeque was almost edible. I used to heat
it and pile it on hamburger buns to fend off starving teenage boys (along
with a quart or so of ice cream) in a desperate measure to kill their
appetites until I could get supper on the table. It never worked but did
keep them busy. Polly

Mom fed us plenty of the Castlebury's too--might have been to trying
to fill my brother's bottomless pit. Where do skinny teenage boys put
all that food they eat? The joke around my house was that little Bro
had a hollow leg. He ate more at each sitting than his whole torso
should have been able to hold.

When I don't have time to make my own, we eat a pre-made kind from the
refrigerator section of the market. It's made in Virginia and is
worth the extra cost. Lean shredded pork with just the right
spicyness.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Pet Food Recall!! Jeri Needlework 11 March 25th 07 04:07 AM
Pet Food Recall- for the quilters who love their QIs Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 3 March 19th 07 02:38 PM