The annual reckoning

Old January 11th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default The annual reckoning

A couple of you have asked when I'd post my
annual bought/used totals. I have been hesitant
because I'm, well, embarrassed.

From November 15, 2004, until the end of May, 2005,
I was very, very, very good about not buying fabric
(about 4 yards, all legal). Then while en route to the
quilt shop to get a piece of very legal backing fabric
for a specific quilt I stopped at a neighborhood garage sale.
The seller was a commercial crafter who was clearing
out her stash. I spent $88 and got a stack of books and
magazines and 70+ yards of fabric! The next weekend
I went to another neighborhood garage sale and found
another crafter selling off stash -- how could I turn
down a 5-yard piece that was $1?

It went downhill from then on. Or should I say uphill?
Because in the end I purchased a mountain of fabric.
BUT!! 97% of it was ON SALE!! AND!! in 2005 I sold
a quilt desing to a magazine ($200) and sold quilts at
the guild biennial show ($485). I also sold quite a few
books and notions through Quilters Flea Market.
ALSO!! I spent 26% *less* in 2005 than in 2004.

So, all that said, here it is. Now you can tell your
DH that whatever you bought, you know someone
who bought more.

Nann, who is *determined* to behave better in 2006

Yards Yards Used/Bought Amount
Year Bought Used Ratio Spent

1998 356 170 48% n/a
1999 297 172 58% n/a
2000 283 124 44% n/a
2001 317 163 51% n/a
2002 289 153 53% n/a
2003 335 136 41% n/a
2004 655 228 35% $2264
2005 1033 270 26% $1673

total 3565 1416 40%

Old January 11th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Nann Hilyard" wrote in message
. ..
So, all that said, here it is. Now you can tell your
DH that whatever you bought, you know someone
who bought more.

I bow to someone who has clearly acheived heights I can only begin to dream
of reaching. I am but a humble grasshopper at your feet.

Nann, who is *determined* to behave better in 2006

Where's the fun in *that*???? ;-)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old January 11th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Wow! Where does one store 2500 yards of fabric? You must have a very
large crafting room to put all of it. That's almost equivalent to 167
bolts of fabric at 15 yards per bolt.

Old January 11th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I want to go with you to the next garage sale!

I look forward to your "reckoning" almost as much as Polly's Christmas poem!
Keep up the good work, Nann!

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us/

"Nann Hilyard" wrote in message
. ..
:A couple of you have asked when I'd post my
: annual bought/used totals. I have been hesitant
: because I'm, well, embarrassed.
:
: From November 15, 2004, until the end of May, 2005,

Old January 11th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I always look forward to your year in review
Nann. I would love to yard sale with you!
It seems to me you have a pretty good year in
2005. Will be interesting to see how much better
you can do!
Thanks so much for sharing.
Taria

Nann Hilyard wrote:
A couple of you have asked when I'd post my
annual bought/used totals. I have been hesitant
because I'm, well, embarrassed.

From November 15, 2004, until the end of May, 2005,

Old January 11th 06, 07:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Gee, Nan, you did really well on your average price per yard. BUT....
I am totally impressed that you work and still managed to use up 270
yards!!! That's the equivalent of at least 13 king sized quilts-
fronts and back! Now THAT is something!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old January 11th 06, 10:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Nann, it looks like what you earned selling the quilt and the design,
and the spare books and stuff, paid for the year's excess acquisitions,
so you broke even! D'ya like me maths?

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Old January 12th 06, 06:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Maybe I can make you feel better.

At our local guild tonight they were announcing this year's trip to the
quilt show in Ft. Washington, PA this September. Apparently they've been
organizing a trip to this show each year now for awhile. The person who
was describing it put on a sort of cowboy-type hat that had little price
tags dangling from the brim. Turns out that whoever spends the most at
the show gets custody of the hat for a year. The woman who had it last
year spent over $1000 in their ONE DAY there--all on fabric and
patterns! (She said she was going to the show this year...and didn't
want the hat back g)

--Heidi

Plattsburgh (UPstate) NY

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b