Balancing busy-ness in a quilt?

Old October 22nd 05, 02:10 PM
Roberta Zollner

Default Balancing busy-ness in a quilt?

Sounds like you need to make a few sample blocks with different
combinations. Sometimes it just clicks to do that.
Roberta in D

"Tricia" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ups.com...
Thanks for the advice ladies --

My (current) idea for the quilt design is to have the log cabins placed
so that they form expanding hearts -- preferably with each expansion
being the next shade in line for a rainbow effect. How to make that
happen exactly, I haven' t a clue at the moment. I have some basic
starred fabrics, I'd guess you'd say the design size was the smaller
end of medium. In a two inch square, I've got anywhere from 10-20
stars depending on which of the fabrics I'm measuring. Most of the
fabrics to date have come from JoAnns although some did come from the
LQS back in the Ypsi area when I was living there. 1/4 yards is all I
have of them, except for one or two which may have much as 1/2 yard.
Anyway, the ones from JAs are colored background with cream/white stars
on them. Some have metallic rainbowed stars (they match the flannel
line I've seen there). At least one is a black with stars on it and
the stars have rainbows painted in them -- one of my newer acquasitions
(I can't spell worth beans today) and may have come from my new LQS
although I don't remember. The colored backgrounds on the ones from
JAs aren't solid themselves -- they are kind of textured or marbled
looking, which is why I was considering the moda marbles to go with
them. I know Black would make them all pop but I'm not sure I want
Black as the only other fabric to balance out the stars with. Perhaps
a navy blue though -- hmmm. But I dont' have enough starred fabric to
have that be the only colored fabric in the quilt and I'm not sure I'd
want that to be the case anyway.

One idea that came to me was to find a "matching" color, be it solid or
with some print/texture, as a starred fabric and use strips of both
colors to make the "color" side of the log cabin so I wasn't getting
stars right next to stars right next to stars. I don't know. I am
finding it difficult to describe in words. Too bad I don't have a
drawing capability on here to share what I am talking about.

All my questions here have been about what to use in the log cabin
blocks -- I've not even dared think about the borders or backing yet.
auditioning fabrics is a good idea, I'm just hoping for some direction
to start in.

Any and all advice welcome (Except suggesting I use a spell checker
*snicker*)

Feeling a tad frustrated,
Tricia

Nice Quilt Story Sk8eraunt Quilting 4 October 2nd 04 03:46 PM
Mini B.C. quilt shop tour shhdesigns Quilting 13 September 15th 04 04:03 AM
Gifting a "used" quilt? KI Graham Quilting 13 September 6th 04 07:18 PM
Returned Quilt -- What to do with it?? Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 20 March 8th 04 07:55 PM