OT for Lia and other spellers

Old October 15th 05, 04:19 AM
Dee in Oz

The worst one(s) I can think of at the moment is -there/their. That
really annoys me.

I was always corrected if my grammar was wrong but DH speaks just like
his mother ( I seen that etc)
I do correct occasionally but just make sure DD and DS use my grammar.
Even occasionally correcting their Victorian pronunciation to my South
Australian version

Dee in Oz

Old October 15th 05, 04:22 AM

My favorite was a teen wearing a jacket with "Hell's Angles" on the
back. Nancycog in MD

Old October 15th 05, 04:22 AM
Julia Altshuler

I've been trying to think of an example that's as good. How about the
sign found somewhere in the Internet that forbade wreckless driving?

--Lia

Old October 15th 05, 04:32 AM
Polly Esther

Lia, that one had just never crossed my mind. Makes me wonder how we ever
understand what we're talking about. =) Polly

Old October 15th 05, 04:43 AM
Ginger in CA

I noticed a plastic surgeon in our area advertising different
procedures he offers. For the "breast augmentation" he says "no scar on
brest" Whew! I feel better knowing there would only be one on the boob!

)
Ginger in CA

Polly Esther wrote:
This morning's paper has an ad from a law office. "New location, all files
intack". Polly

Old October 15th 05, 05:02 AM
Mika

I saw that portion of the show. I couldn't help but chuckle... oh wait!!!
No!! I laughed. Poor girl should have been paying attention in spelling
class or history class or even math class. Well, I didn't really laugh AT
the girl but at the sadness of it all. Granted she had to be pretty smart to
get on the show and I'm sure it was just a nervous error. But still. It just
shows the sad state of our education system. And I know there are some
teachers in this group and I am in no way blaming you. Education starts at
home. At least it should.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

"Carey N." wrote in message
And how about axed for asked?

Tonight on Jeopardy, one young contestant lost in the final round, for
misspelling Bejamin Franklin, because "the spelling affects the how it is
pronouced" per Alex Trebek. Too bad it cost her $10,000 to learn that
spelling counts!
--
Carey in MA

"nzlstar*" wrote in message
my pet peeves a
separate vs seperate...... eeeeeeek.
oh and to hear folks say ec cetera, not et cetera.
what do they think the etc means. : /
oh, oh and pacific for specific. omg.
bought for brought.
ok, i do write online 'tho' for though.
i'm just a bit lazy about that one.
i figure that one is an obvious abbreviation tho and really ought to be
correct.
dem for them is really irritating too or free for three.
maybe some of those are dialectic but boy they sure can be irritating.
not that i'm poifect, eh. )
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Mika" wrote...
snipped
One of my pet peeves though is when people misuse Then and Than. grrrrr.

Ok
off my soap box. lol.

Old October 15th 05, 05:05 AM
Mika

oh oh oh and Amurca for America. If a person cannot or will not pronounce
America properly he has no business being president of the United States Of
AMERICA. It's NOT the United States of Amurca. It's bloody freaking
AMERICA!!!!

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

"AliceW" wrote in message
My favorite is expresso

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us/

"nzlstar*" wrote in message
: my pet peeves a
: separate vs seperate...... eeeeeeek.
: oh and to hear folks say ec cetera, not et cetera.
: what do they think the etc means. : /
: oh, oh and pacific for specific. omg.
: bought for brought.
: ok, i do write online 'tho' for though.
: i'm just a bit lazy about that one.
: i figure that one is an obvious abbreviation tho and really ought to be
: correct.
: dem for them is really irritating too or free for three.
: maybe some of those are dialectic but boy they sure can be irritating.
: not that i'm poifect, eh. )
: jeanne
: --
: