zigzag stitch for quilting?

Old September 15th 05, 06:44 AM
Irrational Number

Default zigzag stitch for quilting?

I'm making a quilt-as-you-go quilt
in 60" strips. I have two strips
done, but the backing fabric isn't
wide enough to really hem properly.

Would it be a bad thing to use a
zigzag stitch to quilt the two
sections together? I've already
pieced the top together.

Thanks,
Anita
Old September 15th 05, 10:59 AM
Roberta Zollner

Not sure I understand the scenario -do you mean this as a way to finish the
backing, as opposed to turning under one backing seam and hand-stitching
over the other backing seam allowance? IMO, zigzagging over the raw edges
(if that's what you mean) would look a bit sloppy. You could cut a strip of
backing fabric 1" or so wide, press under the edges to make a half-inch
strip, and apply over the join. You'd have 2 parallel lines of stitching
showing on the front. But it would be a neat and strong seam.
Roberta in D

nk.net...

Old September 15th 05, 01:28 PM
Pat in Virginia

Yep, Anita, I agree with Roberta that zig zag is probably not
best choice, and a strip would be neater and stronger. You might
be able to add it in the joining seam, so you'd have just one
side to hand stitch. I've seen this method in some magazines. Let
us know how it turns out.
PAT in VA/USA

Old September 15th 05, 01:50 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

I think that would work great. It's sure better than throwing it out - or
horrors!! - ripping it out. Go for it. It might be a learning experience
and you might hate it. If you hate it - donate it to your local homeless
shelter and start over with a new working knowledge base. Nothing is ever a
waste in the quilting world.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
nk.net...

Old September 15th 05, 04:48 PM
Irrational Number

I thought I'd be clever and turn under
one backing seam and pin it well. Then
I'd quilt as usual from the top! But,
I can't guarantee that I'd catch the
seam, so I thought a zigzag stitch would
catch it... It would be SITD, but with
a zigzag stitch instead of a straight
stitch.

I think I'll chalk this up to a learning
experience. This is a Katrina quilt.
(I've never made a large quilt before.)

-- Anita --

Old September 15th 05, 05:45 PM
Roberta Zollner

Ah, I see! Well, of course you could try, but wouldn't it be easier to
stitch from the back? You could still use zigzag if you wanted to, and you'd
be sure of controlling the natural tendency of a fold to make little tucks
and unfold itself.

The strongest and easiest is to just slipstitch it closed by hand, then
quilt across.
Roberta in D

link.net...