OT - Chocolate cupcake recipe?

Old July 2nd 05, 08:02 PM
Johanna Gibson

Default OT - Chocolate cupcake recipe?

I was all set to make chocolate cupcakes, but my American cookbook
doesn't have a recipe for them! How can this be? It has various
recipes for muffins... which leads me to wonder: What is the
difference between a muffin and a cupcake?
Anyway, I know many of you love to bake, so can someone help me out
and post their favorite Chocolate Cupcake Recipe?
Meanwhile, I'll make a pound cake instead, in a half chocolate/half
vanilla style.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old July 2nd 05, 08:12 PM
Kathryn Groves

any chocolate cake recipe will work -- just bake it in muffin tins to create
cupcakes!

When my boys were little -- I would stand the flat bottomed ice cream cones
in my muffin tins and bake the cupcakes in the cones -- no paper to throw
away and the kids thought they were totally kewl!

I have a great chocolate - miracle whip cake recipe -- DH favorite when
smothered in homemade caramel icing!

Kate in MI

Old July 2nd 05, 08:40 PM
Polly Esther

To use a cake recipe for cupcakes - preheat the oven to 350°, line the
muffin pans or oil the pans, fill 3/4 full so you'll have nice tall
cupcakes and expect the recipe to yield about 16 cupcakes. When the cupcakes
are still hot out of the oven, you can poke some chocolate chips (upside
down will poke better) into the top of each one for a really quick touch of
frosting. Polly

Old July 2nd 05, 08:59 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Texture. Cupcakes are cake-like, with a fine texture. Muffins have a coarser
texture with bigger air pockets.

I've found you can often use the same recipe to make both, with the
difference being in the solidity of the fat and the method of combining
ingredients. (Muffins use a liquid fat and the absolute minimum mixing,
while cupcakes have the fat and sugar creamed together and the ingredients
are well blended.)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old July 2nd 05, 09:33 PM
Roberta Zollner

Ooh, one of my pet peeves, the way all sorts of dessert cakes get confused
with muffins, especially in non-English-speaking places. Please use any
decent chocolate cake recipe and bake (for a shorter time) in cupcake
liners, and you have cupcakes.

Muffins are supposed to be a not-so-sweet tea bread, the sort of thing that
could be whipped together in half an hour or less for unexpected visitors.
Muffins use a special mixing technique: no more than 50 strokes with a
mixing spoon. The dough looks very lumpy, but shorter mixing time and less
agitation mean that the gluten in the flour doesn't toughen. Muffins should
have a very light crumb. They should also rise quickly and form a slightly
pointy top. And you need a proper baking tin, the holes should be about 2"
deep (without digging it out to measure).
Roberta in D

Old July 3rd 05, 02:10 AM
Bronnie

Here's, possibly, the definitive chocolate cup cake recipe called:
Granny Twitchell's Secret (no longer g) Chocolate Cupcake
(from Death by Chocolate cookbook, copyrite and all that)

Her method is rather long, but don't be put off; it makes novices and
old hands a champion at the first bite and accolades will follow as
surely night follows day.

10 oz (284g) plain chocolate, broken
8 fl. oz (240ml) double cream
2 oz (56g) unsweetened chocolate, broken
5 eggs
4oz (113g) caster (superfine) sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
4 oz (113g) pl flour
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1 lb (450g) choc. chips

Preheat oven to 325d.F (170d.C)
Heat 1 inch water in bottom half of dble boiler. Place both chocolates
and cream in top half of boiler. Cover with clingwrap and allow to
heat for 8 min. Remove from heat and stir until smooth. Leave aside
until needed.
Place eggs, sugar and vanilla in bowl of elec. mixer and using a
paddle, not whisk, beat on medium until lemon-colored and slightly
thickened, about 4 min.
Add melted choc. mixture and beat on medium for 15-20 sec. more.
Add flour, bicarb soda, and choc. chips and beat on low for 10 sec.
Increase to medium and beat for additional 10 sec. Remove bowl from
mixer. Use a rubber spatula and thoroughly combine batter.
[That's the mixture done.]

Evenly divide the mixture into 18 bake cups (use pretty gold paper
ones) that have been positioned in the muffin tins, filling until 1/4
in below the rim. Bake in pre-heated oven until a toothpick inserted
in the centre comes out clean, about 25-30 min.
[That's the cupcakes cooked].

Icing (frosting): heat 4 oz (120ml) cream (double) until just boiling
in microwave on mid power or in saucepan on med. heat. Place 6 oz
(170g) plain chocolate in a s/s bowl and pour over boiling cream and
allow to stand for 5 min. Stir with a whisk until smooth.
One at a time, dip the top of each of Granny's cup-cakes into the
icing. Top with grated white chocolate if desired and refrigerate for
30 min until set. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.

Marcel Desaulnier's tip: No one under 25 should be offered these
incredible cup cakes. These are serious adult food (except for perhaps
family).

Gosh; I feel like making these right away, but don't have the
couverture chocolate on hand. That's my tip, use best quality choc.
Just as well Sharon is away otherwise she'd be right onto these vbg.
Bronnie

Old July 3rd 05, 01:03 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

A cupcake is your favorite cake recipe poured in the little pans instead of
a cake pan.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old July 3rd 05, 09:47 PM
M Rimmer

In message guQxe.12104$fV.9208@okepread06, SNIGDIBBLY
writes
A cupcake is your favorite cake recipe poured in the little pans instead of
a cake pan.

I have several favourite cupcake recipes but the easiest to remember is
4 of everything:

4oz butter
4oz sugar
(beaten together)
2 eggs (=2oz each)
(beaten in)
4oz flour
(sifted and folded in)
flavouring, a little milk until it's a soft dropping consistency. Pour
into small cake tins or one a big cake tin then bake in a medium oven
until golden (or pour on top of a dollop of jam in the bottom of a basin
and microwave for a few minutes to make an upside-down pudding)

I can do the upside-down pudding version during the advertisement break
in the middle of a movie if I'm feeling peckish, to the delight and
admiration of my friends.

If you want chocolate cupcakes just make it plain and put chocolate
frosting on top when they're cool (if they last long enough). Or replace
1oz of flour with 1oz cocoa powder.
--
M Rimmer

Old July 4th 05, 06:44 PM
Pat in Virginia

Bronnie:
Thanks for the recipe, but since Marcel's restaurant is in the next
town, I can just get the originals!! BTW: Marcel is a gentleman chef.

His signature Death By Chocolate dessert is to die for but his
Trellis restaurant serves other lovely desserts too. Next time you are
in my neighborhood, we can make it a day trip, okay?

PAT, NAYY but just 25 minutes from the Trellis, in VA/USA

Bronnie wrote:
Here's, possibly, the definitive chocolate cup cake recipe called:
Granny Twitchell's Secret (no longer g) Chocolate Cupcake
(from Death by Chocolate cookbook, copyrite and all that)

Her method is rather long, but don't be put off; it makes novices and
old hands a champion at the first bite and accolades will follow as
surely night follows day.

Old July 4th 05, 10:50 PM
Bronnie

Pat! How lucky are you? I love his cookbook; made quite a few dishes
over the years. Some of them take 3 days to prepare and cost a small
fortune but the results are Wow!
We'll make a date for sure when I'm next your way.