FAQ for RCTQ

Old December 7th 04, 01:47 PM
Diana Curtis

Default FAQ for RCTQ

Welcome to RCTQ, a usenet discussion group of
quilters. We want to read all about your quilting activites, and
welcome questions. We may even come up with some helpful answers!
But we do have a few requests, to keep this NG moving along. We
ask that you do not post pictures here, but we love to click on links to see
your quilts
elsewhere. Please, no advertising .rec.crafts.textiles.marketplace is the
appropriate place for ads.

Do your best to remember to put OT in the
subject line of off topic posts. Try to remember to trim the original post
to the most relevant bits.

What is a Hug, and how do I contribute?
Hugs are quilts made by this group to help someone through a life altering
event, and let them know how much we care. Karen, Queen of Squishies,
maintains a Hug list. When a Hug quilt is needed someone will contact Karen,
and she in turn sends an email to
everyone on the Hug List with instructions and color preferences, date due,
and the reason for the Hug. Its always your choice to participate or not.
Hugs can be made without going through Karen and the list as well. Anyone is
welcome to start a Hug,
when they feel the need is enough. A very touching explanation of Hugs will
follow in post in this thread.

What is a Squishie?
A squishie is an envelope that comes to you, thats slightly fat and
squishie. It can be a bit of fabric someone knows you'll love, or a birthday
surprise, the main thing is that when a squishie comes in the mail it makes
you feel like smiling. The same thing happens when you send them out, oddly
enough! When thanking someone for a squishie please try to contact them
privately, off the list. If you arent able to most of us don't mind sharing
in the joy of a public thank you. A follow up post with a more eloquent
explanation will follow this post.

What is a Thunkie?
Its similar to a squishie but it can thunk instead of squish and hold
interesting things related to quilting, like chocolate or special things we
quilters find indespensible for quilting.

What are all those abbreviations?
LQS Local quilt store
TSWLTH The store we love to hate aka Joann fabrics.
DH, DS, DD, DSM Dear Husband (or dratted, danged etc.) Dear Son or Dear
Sister, Dear Daughter, Dear Sweet Mother.
S.E.X. we use this manner of spelling to discourage trolls from seeing it...
it means Stash Enhancement eXpedition or fabric shopping!

What is the Directory or how do I get someone's address?
A directory of everyone who chooses to be in it is updated two times a
year. Watch the newsgroup for posting about the next update. Only people who
are listed in the directory are allowed to have it. No one is allowed to
give the information in the directory out to anyone who isnt in it. Not
everyone chooses to be in the directory, so how do you get someone's
address? Ask them for it. Its ok, it wont spoil the surprise if you wait
till they forget you asked. Or, ask someone else to ask the person if its ok
to share their address with you. Be sneaky. Its ok.

Trolls and flame wars... what are they and what can be done about them?
Trolls come to groups to try to stir up trouble. The best advice is
ignore them. Its fun to poke at them or treat them as legitimate posters but
they thrive on attention.
Flame wars are discussions that get out of control and angry words
are hurled about with abandon. Its easy to get caught up in the heat and say
things that are regretted later. We all have bad days. All of our words are
open to interpetation, lets all try to give people the benefit of the doubt
and believe the best of them and their posts.

How do I find an old post?
Go to
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...roup=rec.craft
..textiles.quilting or use http://tinyurl.com/rab3 , thats the url made
easier,.and use the search option, remembering to use the "look in this
group only" function. If you still cant find the information youre looking
for then feel free to ask the group.

Please take the time to read the followup posts in this thread. Some of the
most touching tributes to this group and the love we generate is there for
you to savor. Good info on picking out a good sewing machine will be found
there too.

Old December 7th 04, 11:08 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
See this post?
The part where it says we don't do advertising here?

This is a NON-commercial Usenet newsgroup.

Please keep it that way.
If you wanna' peddle your wares, please find a marketing newsgroup
to advertise.
If you wanna' hang out and hand out free tips, advice, and stories,
please join us.

Thanks.

Ragmop/Sandy--quilter

Old December 7th 04, 11:23 PM
taria

I got this bridge I was hoping to sell. You mean
I can't do that here? BG
What you quilting Sandy? I am working on some stained
glass Christmas wallhangings. I am even finishing them!
Taria

Old December 8th 04, 01:59 AM
nzlstar

hold on a second. you got only one bridge? is it gold? i need a couple of
them asap.
can they be custom made to fit? delivery date? how much ya want for them?
will you take anything in trade? does the bridge(s) come with some of those
fine stained glass designs?
waiting anxiously with jaw held tight
jeanne
--