The annual tally

Old January 1st 04, 11:37 PM
Nbhilyard

Default The annual tally

In 1998 I began keeping track of how many yards of fabric I bought and how many
yards of fabric I used. I've kept the records for six years now. I include
garment fabric as well as quilting fabric and I consider the fabric "used" when
I complete a garment or piece a quilt top. (I quickly realized that if I
waited until a quilt was quilted and bound my consumption would plummet.)

Total for 2003: 335 yards bought, 136 used.
Total, 1998-2003: 1877 yards bought, 918 used. (Average: 311 to 153.)

I am on the Stashbusters list and I can't imagine what might have happened had
I not had that group to curb me. A consolation is that most everything (esp.
this year) was purchased on sale (such as the 38 yds @ $3 per from Touch of
Amish in Barrington, IL, last Sunday) -- I calculate $5/yd for the '03
purchases.

Nann
in Winthrop Harbor, Illinois
who moved into a new house in 2003 with a lovely, big family room that is a
perfect quilting studio
and who really does want to buy less/use more in '04!

Old January 1st 04, 11:52 PM
AliceW

Wow! I never thought of keeping tally. But that may be a good exercise for
this year. I always carry a quilting notebook with me with patterns and
such, I might as well save a page for yardage.

Now, what is the Stashbusters list? This may be of use to me.

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
www.ourcyberfamily.us

Old January 2nd 04, 12:15 AM
CNYstitcher

What's the stashbusters lsit??? This might be of use to a lot of people
in this group grin.

Larisa

Old January 2nd 04, 12:38 AM
Jalynne

Me, too...i need to really use up my stash this year. It is my main goal to "Use it
up, wear it out, make it do, do without" this year.
--
Jalynne

Old January 2nd 04, 02:01 AM
Ann

I did a google search. Sounds like this may be the place
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stashbuster/

Ann---who doesn't have much of a stash to worry about
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky

Old January 2nd 04, 02:08 AM
AliceW

Thanks! Reducing my stash is one of my goals this year so this group is
right up my alley. Now, combined with the FSM2004, I should be in pretty
good shape - "should be" being the operative words here!

Alice

Old January 2nd 04, 02:16 AM
Charlotte Hippen

Those wishing to shrink their stash could always send it all to those that
are stash deprived!! I'm sure there wouldn't be any complaints from the
recipients!! LOL!!

Charlotte
(who just happens to be one of those poor deprived souls)

Old January 2nd 04, 03:26 AM
David & Barbara Schmidt

well, I don't have much of a stash I've been trying to go through and
organize what I do have, and I wish I had kept track of what sizes the
pieces I bought are. A lot of what I buy is remnants because it's what i
can afford. If Hancock's has something I like, I buy it when it's on
sale and I might buy 1 or 2 yards. Back when I had a job I bought some
great fabrics from E-bay. I've been participating a lot in Yvonne's FQ
swap, but with not having a job and no money, I probably won't be doing
much of that this year.

Babs