quilted jacket

Old December 23rd 18, 09:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian Christiansen

Default quilted jacket

It has gotten cold enough here in Tucson that, at least late at night, I
have to wear my quilted jacket
(https://www.flickr.com/photos/brian0...7660571976814). I
think I made a post about it, that is about the only reason I can think
of why I would have pictures of it on my flickr account.

Occasionally, when I wear it, someone will ask if it is made by hand,
but no one, at least as of now, has ever asked if I could make one for
them. I would say yes, but that I don't think they would not want to
pay the price I would charge. Unless it is my brother, sister, or
"significant other," I would most certainly expect to be compensated
more than just however much it would cost to make the jacket.

I would have to buy: 1. ~2-3 yards of material for what I would in
normal quilting call the backing (dont know if it has a name in garment
making) for the large peces such as the sleeves, front pieces, back
pieces, etc, 2. The same amount of batting, 3. The cool stuff I made the
yoke, the waistband, and the collar out of, though I doubt I could get
the neat fabric with multi-colored polka dots as I think that was part
of a sheet that I cut up, 4. a bunch of fat quarters for the patchwork
part, 5 any acessories such as the snaps, and 6. the pattern itself. My
best guess is that all that would come to probably $30 to $50,at least,
and unless I am making it as a present, I would fully expect to be paid
for the materials.

I also do not not think it would be worth my time unless I made at least
$50 to $100 over the cost of the supplies, and that makes the absolute
minimum I would charge $80 to $150 dollars, and I just can't imagine
anyone actually paying that. I don't know if that is a common labor
charge for this type of work, but that is how much I would have to get
to make it worth my time. Perhaps that is because I have the skills to
make one and would not have to pay someone else to do it.

I guess my question is, what is the normal price for such work. I did a
bit of a Google search, and found prices lower than what I would charge,
and prices higher than I would charge. However, I had no real way of
telling which are made in a sweatshop somewhere(and thus I suppose
technically hand made), and ones that are actually hand made.
--
My Yonkoma: https://www.flickr.com/photos/brian0...57680223526176

The E-mail associated with the account is a "spamcatcher" account that I
got to every couple of months to empty out, and anything sent to it will
not be seen for probably several months, if it is seen at all.
Brian Christiansen
Old December 25th 18, 11:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I suspect you'd have close to $100 in materials. Don't underestimate
the worth of your labor. I'd say it should be worth at least $250-300.
If you tell someone you'd make it for $150, you'd probably have a taker.

Julia in MN

(https://www.flickr.com/photos/brian0...0571976814).Â* I
think I made a post about it, that is about the only reason I can think
of why I would have pictures of it on my flickr account.

Occasionally, when I wear it, someone will ask if it is made by hand,
but no one, at least as of now, has ever asked if I could make one for
them.Â* I would say yes, but that I don't think they would not want to
pay the price I would charge.Â* Unless it is my brother, sister, or
"significant other," I would most certainly expect to be compensated
more than just however much it would cost to make the jacket.

I would have to buy: 1. ~2-3 yards of material for what I would in
normal quilting call the backing (dont know if it has a name in garment
making) for the large peces such as the sleeves, front pieces, back
pieces, etc, 2. The same amount of batting, 3. The cool stuff I made the
yoke, the waistband, and the collar out of, though I doubt I could get
the neat fabric with multi-colored polka dots as I think that was part
of a sheet that I cut up, 4. a bunch of fat quarters for the patchwork
part, 5 any acessories such as the snaps, and 6. the pattern itself.Â* My
best guess is that all that would come to probably $30 to $50,at least,
and unless I am making it as a present, I would fully expect to be paid
for the materials.

I also do not not think it would be worth my time unless I made at least
$50 to $100 over the cost of the supplies, and that makes the absolute
minimum I would charge $80 to $150 dollars, and I just can't imagine
anyone actually paying that.Â* I don't know if that is a common labor
charge for this type of work, but that is how much I would have to get
to make it worth my time.Â* Perhaps that is because I have the skills to
make one and would not have to pay someone else to do it.

I guess my question is, what is the normal price for such work.Â* I did a
bit of a Google search, and found prices lower than what I would charge,
and prices higher than I would charge.Â* However, I had no real way of

Quilted jacket Brian[_3_] Quilting 2 December 30th 15 01:25 AM
Happy Dance - Crazy Quilted Silk Kimono Jacket Tia Mary Quilting 5 July 28th 09 11:30 PM
Another Quilted Silk Jacket Tia Mary Quilting 18 July 8th 09 12:55 AM
Turning suit jacket into bolero style jacket Emilie97 Sewing 3 April 19th 09 12:57 PM
Quilted jacket question Julia in MN Quilting 8 January 26th 06 03:18 PM