HELP - White gold ring with black marks??

Old June 15th 04, 02:00 AM
Moochie

Default HELP - White gold ring with black marks??

I bought an 18K white gold engagement ring, and noticed that the
inside of the ring had these black marks that look like black rust (or
dark grey rust). The jeweler said that this may happen if the ring is
exposed to extreme heat. So, the jeweler said she "polished" it, and
indeed most of the black marks went away. Should I be concerned? Has
this happened to anyone else's white gold jewelry?
Old June 16th 04, 02:03 AM
Fred Mason

It is common for white gold to have black oxides as the result of casting or
soldering processes. These oxides are normally removed in the finishing
(polishing) work. The oxides come not from the gold, but the alloys with
the gold. White gold made with nickel darkens and so does palladium white -
a white gold alloy which gets its' white color by being alloyed with
palladium.

Fred
"Moochie" wrote in message
I bought an 18K white gold engagement ring, and noticed that the
inside of the ring had these black marks that look like black rust (or
dark grey rust). The jeweler said that this may happen if the ring is
exposed to extreme heat. So, the jeweler said she "polished" it, and
indeed most of the black marks went away. Should I be concerned? Has
this happened to anyone else's white gold jewelry?

lots of questions about my ring tert in seattle Jewelry 2 April 15th 04 03:41 AM
Why jewelers encourage white gold than platinum? Michael Jewelry 8 February 14th 04 07:42 PM
White gold plating NE333RO Jewelry 1 February 11th 04 07:26 AM
good vs bad white gold HurricaneMB Jewelry 2 January 1st 04 12:07 AM
What does "salty" diamond mean? And 11k white gold? AuroraeB Jewelry 1 September 13th 03 05:22 PM